PDA

View Full Version : original Uboat music

Eaj13
01-14-06, 02:41 PM
Hello all
Maybe a question for someone in germany:

I collected some german phonograph records which I documented where actually played in a german Uboat. How can I confirm if they are public domain and so share them to the community?
thanks in advance
Alex

Punisher_sa
01-15-06, 03:22 PM
Music belongs to the world and therefor not the property of one individual lol heeeeehaaaa for mp3 downloads lol :-j

Torplexed
01-15-06, 03:32 PM
Yes. Let's ignore the annoying copyright laws. Let's ignore all of them. Then games like SH3 never get published as there is no profit in it. Great idea.

Punisher_sa
01-15-06, 03:40 PM
I get the idea that you missunderstood me, all i ment was that it is very dificult to find out what the user rights are on audio tracks and if someone wants to use the files for personal use it shouldnt be a problem? sorry if i didnt phrase correctly on that issue... :-?

Torplexed
01-15-06, 03:44 PM
Sorry. Didn't mean to sound harsh. The original poster is trying to find out if he can legally share some vintage music files with the community and not just for his personal use so that is the point I am trying to make.

Punisher_sa
01-15-06, 03:46 PM
cool then i missunderstood him also lol :damn:

Marhkimov
01-15-06, 03:46 PM
I say its ok to share them... There are already many other music files for SH3 that are copywrited.

A few more wouldn't hurt. :up:

Punisher_sa
01-15-06, 04:05 PM
This is all i could find on copyright hope it helps

The Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) This landmark legislation has its origins in the 1996 World Intellectual Property Organization's Diplomatic conference in Geneva, attended by more than 160 nations. There, two new treaties were negotiated (see International Law section) that represent the most important overhaul of international copyright law in the last quarter century. The treaties raise the minimum standards for copyright protection worldwide and make it easier to fight piracy of American products overseas.

Although U.S. copyright law already met the treaties’ standards, legislation was needed to meet the treaties’ prohibition of devices used to undermine electronic "locks." The Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) (among other things) does just that, among other things, by prohibiting the manufacture and distribution of devices designed for the sole purpose of undermining technology used to protect copyrighted works.

The DMCA law also delineates the responsibilities of Internet service providers (ISPs) in cases of infringement online. For example, the law formalizes a notice and takedown procedure between ISPs and copyright owners. It is now clear that when an ISP is aware it is posting or transmitting infringing content, the ISP must act to remove the infringing works or it may be liable for any resulting damages.

The DMCA also contains the key agreement reached between the RIAA and a coalition of webcasters and satellite audio delivery services. This section provides for a simplified licensing system for digital performances of sound recordings, such as those on the Internet and through satellite delivery. This part of the DMCA provides a statutory license for non-interactive non-subscription digital audio services with the primary purpose of entertainment, if terms of the license are met. Such a statutory licensing scheme guarantees webcasters and satellite services access to music without obtaining permission from each and every sound recording copyright owner individually and assures record companies an efficient means to receive compensation for sound recordings.

The greatest gains from the DMCA will be realized internationally. This law is a model for ratification and implementation of the WIPO treaties in other countries, where protection of sound recordings online is not sufficient. Formal U.S. ratification of the treaty package moves the worldwide ratification effort closer to the 30 countries that must ratify the treaties for them to take legal effect.

Click here for additional information.

No Electronic Theft Law (NET Act) sets forth that sound recording infringements (including by digital means) can be criminally prosecuted even where no monetary profit or commercial gain is derived from the infringing activity. Punishment in such instances includes up to 3 years in prison and/or $250,000 fines. The NET Act also extends the criminal statute of limitations for copyright infringement from 3 to 5 years.

Additionally, the NET Act amended the definition of "commercial advantage or private financial gain" to include the receipt (or expectation of receipt) of anything of value, including receipt of other copyrighted works (as in MP3 trading). Punishment in such instances includes up to 5 years in prison and/or $250,000 fines. Individuals may also be civilly liable, regardless of whether the activity is for profit, for actual damages or lost profits, or for statutory damages up to $150,000 per work infringed.

Punisher_sa
01-15-06, 04:13 PM
sorry also found this site but reading through it gave me headache

http://www.vonerlach.ch/articles/wipo.htm#2B

Torplexed
01-15-06, 04:26 PM
Heh..hee. I agree. Only lawyers can read this text texture without getting a mind-splitting headache. A neccessary evil tho. ;)

Eaj13
01-16-06, 04:32 AM
Hi all

Great thanks for your help and interesting references. Also in germany I searched and found the GEMA http://www.gema.de an non profit org. searching for copyright violations in the net, etc.
It seems that there is also a new more restricted 2004 law in europe. I also found this: public domain: original records with more than 50 years and music composer and text composer more than 70 years dead. And also not registered in the GEMA (Gema-free)

I will try to find the public domain records, but it seems to be really hard
regards
Alex

The Noob
02-16-06, 08:35 PM
Come on!Scheiss on this ferfickt copyright!Just upload to rapidshare and post the link and let those copyrights go to hell! :rock: :rock: :yep: :yep: :yep:

Be a :arrgh!:

kapitanfred
02-16-06, 09:55 PM
Agree. Where did the original stock gramophone sounds come from?

Soviet_Warlord
02-16-06, 11:02 PM
Face it, most of the artists who recorded music in or before the 40's are dead, and 'buying' their CD's will do them no good any more. Give old music back to the world.

Uber Gruber
02-17-06, 10:08 AM
I have to say I agree with the last comment. However, royalties would benefit their families, such as their children, so maybe that could be an alternative approach.

I would hate to think the money was benefiting some big fat faceless corporate - especially considering they're a cancer of greed on our society.

err...sorry, wrong forum, thought I was in Commies R Us for a moment....sorry :|\

The Noob
02-17-06, 02:20 PM
Face it, most of the artists who recorded music in or before the 40's are dead, and 'buying' their CD's will do them no good any more. Give old music back to the world.

I Fully agree with this!You said it better than i did,my english is not so good!All Games that are older than 10 years are so old that no one can make real profit anymore,so i handle it as like ther was no copyright anymore!The same thing is by music,if it is older than 20 years!only a book needs more time to reach the "No copiright time"!Books (Like moby dick,or das boot :lol: )can be interesting (And profit bringing)For a very long time!

But the copyrights for music from World War 2 are long gone,
from my point of view!No one will give you trouble for put WW2 music in the internet, believe me! :yep:

The Noob
02-20-06, 01:34 AM
If you don't post a link,please post the list of music you collected! :yep: PLEASE! :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep:

Letum
02-20-06, 04:25 AM
(The noob - less nodding = people taking you more seriously, not more nodding)

one lazy way would be to ask the record companys via e-mail if they still hold rights (if there still around)