PDA

View Full Version : Retirement in SH3Cmdr

bert8for3
01-11-06, 10:20 AM
I've just started using SH3Cmdr, but I'm not sure what the retirement option does in terms of gameplay. If my commander gets retired, does that mean I would have to start a new career from scratch in 1939?

DAB
01-11-06, 10:57 AM
I've just started using SH3Cmdr, but I'm not sure what the retirement option does in terms of gameplay. If my commander gets retired, does that mean I would have to start a new career from scratch in 1939?

In the real war, no one U-boat commander served in U-boats for the entire war. The average career was just 18 patrols. SHIIICmdr simultes this by creating a random chance you will be assigned to a desk job after each patrol. As the number of patrols increases, the higher the chance you will be transfered.

Basicly, it makes it more difficult for you to become the highest scoring U-boat ace just because your career lasted 20 times longer then the real aces.

bert8for3
01-11-06, 11:02 AM

In the real war, no one U-boat commander served in U-boats for the entire war. The average career was just 18 patrols. SHIIICmdr simultes this by creating a random chance you will be assigned to a desk job after each patrol. As the number of patrols increases, the higher the chance you will be transfered.

Basicly, it makes it more difficult for you to become the highest scoring U-boat ace just because your career lasted 20 times longer then the real aces.

ok, tks.

Crash Dive
01-11-06, 12:05 PM
My sh3 commander gives me the option to return from retirement. I haven't tried it yet but I plan to on my current carreer so I can participate in drumbeat. :arrgh!:

Sailor Steve
01-11-06, 12:19 PM
If my commander gets retired, does that mean I would have to start a new career from scratch in 1939?
Since how the retirement works has been explained, I thought I would just address the second half.

The answer is no; SHIII Commander allows you to start a new career any month of the war. If your kaleun retires or is killed in, say, April 1941, you can start a new career in May 1941.

DAB
01-11-06, 12:25 PM
If my commander gets retired, does that mean I would have to start a new career from scratch in 1939?
Since how the retirement works has been explained, I thought I would just address the second half.

The answer is no; SHIII Commander allows you to start a new career any month of the war. If your kaleun retires or is killed in, say, April 1941, you can start a new career in May 1941.

Its a shame this feature doesn't exist. Some of the top U-boat commanders were returned to sea when things got bad for the U-boats - as BdU wanted to find out what was causing such high losses.

Peter Cremer on U333 springs to mind as an example.

Sailor Steve
01-11-06, 12:28 PM
What feature doesn't exist? I merely pointed out that you can start a new career anytime. There is a 'Return from retirement' feature, and though I've never used it, as far as I know it works fine.

bert8for3
01-11-06, 02:36 PM
Tks all.

DAB
01-11-06, 08:12 PM
What feature doesn't exist? I merely pointed out that you can start a new career anytime. There is a 'Return from retirement' feature, and though I've never used it, as far as I know it works fine.

My mistake, I miss read your last post.