PDA

View Full Version : "Silent Victor" by Clay Blair for $1

MadMike
01-08-06, 03:34 PM
Heh, heh.
Was rummaging through the local library and guess what I found on the shelf? Books 1 and 2 of Clay Blair's "Silent Victory" for only a dollar. Not a bad deal and great reading.
Pretty demoralizing stuff reading about the first few months of the war and the problems with the Mk-14 and Navy staff who ignored complaints by skippers.

Yours, Mike

Torplexed
01-08-06, 04:07 PM
Pretty nice bargain price for a book still in print. Maybe someday they'll have his two-volume series Hitler's U-Boat War available for $2?

Yeah...that's the funny thing about the Pacific Submarine Campaign. The greatest enemy were the ordinance bureaucrats who kept defending a defective torpedo.

AG124
01-08-06, 06:43 PM
My local library recently had a huge sale, and just wanted to get rid of a lot of books (they ended up throwing hundreds in the garbage). I got a lot of good deals too:

I got The Destroyer Killer by Edwin P Hoyt for 10 cents CDN. I also got Bowfin (Hoyt), The Carrier War (Hoyt), The Big E (by Safford Edward I believe), and Japan's War (John Toland), for the same price (as well as some more WW2 books and other types as well).

In addition to this, I got some hardcover books for 50 cents, including a 1943 copy of William Shirer's Berlin Diary and a 1948 copy of US Secretary of State/Defence Henry Stimson's On Active Service in Peace and War. Also, a lot of fictional WW3-scenario hardcover novels.

I even got some for free that were about to be thrown out, including a history of the United Kingdom by Winston Churchill and a copy of The Dogs of War by Frederick Forsyth. I've never bothered to read either one of these yet though.

TLAM Strike
01-08-06, 10:22 PM
I once got "The Fighting Sailor" a bio on Adm. Halsey (I swear this book exist, go watch THFRO if you don't get the joke) for free from the Library (my Aunt worked there).

But I never read it and gave it away. :( :damn:

MadMike
01-09-06, 01:00 AM
I still have to go back to the library and check out some deals. One of my most valuable books is "US Nuclear Weapons" by Chuck Hansen (I used to work on nukes, go figure). Last I heard it was going for $300 on e-bay.

Yours, Mike

fire-fox
01-09-06, 04:24 AM
I once got "The Fighting Sailor" a bio on Adm. Halsey (I swear this book exist, go watch THFRO if you don't get the joke) for free from the Library (my Aunt worked there).

theres a Red October link in there but. si, i just carnt find it :D

libraryis and books shops inthe UK (or at least where i am) never do any thing like that. :damn: althow thwe yorkshire book outlets are realy good but there hard to find.

TLAM Strike
01-09-06, 09:28 AM

theres a Red October link in there but. si, i just carnt find it :D Ramius: What books?
Ryan: Huh?
Ramius: What books did you write?
Ryan: I wrote a biography of Admiral Halsey called "The Fighting Sailor" about naval combat tactics…
Ramius: I know this book; you conclusions were all wrong Ryan... Halsey acted stupidly...

Sailor Steve
01-11-06, 12:55 PM
I've gotten many good books at library sales over the years. Not really a subject for this topic, but just a couple of weeks ago I paid 50 cents for a hardback copy of Gibbon's Decline And Fall Of The Roman Empire.

Hitman
01-11-06, 02:19 PM
Yeah...that's the funny thing about the Pacific Submarine Campaign. The greatest enemy were the ordinance bureaucrats who kept defending a defective torpedo.

Let us hope that in SH4 -unlike in SH3- you can shell the bureau of the harbor with your deck gun...may be even nail the bureaucrats with the 20mm Oerlikons when they run out of it :D

TLAM Strike
01-17-06, 02:50 PM
My buddy whose in the Navy (Currently at NAS Pensacola but just got orders to USS Winston Churchill DDG 81) got his hands on some old reference books they where getting rid of and sent them to me. I know own:
'Guide to the Soviet Navy Third Edition' by Norman Polmar 1985 printing ISBN 0-87021-239-7
'Soviet Air Power: An Illustrated Encyclopedia of the Warsaw Pact Air Forces Today' by Bill Sweetman and Bill Gunston 1978 Printing ISBN 0-517-24948-0
'The Illustrated encyclopedia of the strategy, tactics, and weapons of Russian Military Power' by Ray Bonds etc 1982 edition ISBN 517-386968

I guess I have the honor of having books with annotations by US Navy Personnel, in other words some sailors who checked out the book from the base library corrected the naming errors. :lol: Great sources of info. I think Soviet Air Power is going to be a favorite around the TLAM household; the illustrations are fantastic (the Su-15 looks awesome, kinda a mix between the F-4 and F-5) :up:

02-12-06, 06:50 PM
Back in the day when Silent Victory was out of print, I really, really wanted the book. I had read half of it when I checked it out of the library, and wanted my own copy. One day I went to a flea market and whamo there it was :yep: