PDA

View Full Version : I`m outta here! *salute*

Dowly
01-08-06, 03:02 PM
So, tomorrow at 6PM I start my army service. 180 days of basic training and some more, if I decide to go to the officer school. :hmm:

See you all when I get back!

And to modders: There better be somekind of über mod when my service is finished! :)

Curval
01-08-06, 03:46 PM
Good luck man.

Geeeze...I get cold just thinking about basic training in Finland...in January. :huh:

Rosencrantz
01-08-06, 04:24 PM
Well, have a nice time! It'll be great fun to sleep over night in the foxhole (without a tent!) when it's minus 30 degrees Celsius and you are not allowed to do any kind of fire. But, don't get worried, it's not that bad. I have done it more than once. So, enjoy and be a man! You'll see, someone just can't take it...

Ja sama suomeksi: Onnea matkaan! Intti on kiva reissu, kannattaa ottaa kaikki irti. Jos pääset erikoisporukoihin, kuten vaikka tiedusteluun, homma vain paranee. Tulet huomaamaan, kuinka oppii arvostamaan vaikka pelkkää lämmintä suihkua... :up:

-RC-

Marhkimov
01-08-06, 05:03 PM
So, tomorrow at 6PM I start my army service. 180 days of basic training and some more, if I decide to go to the officer school. :hmm:

We'll miss you buddy! S! :ping:

And to modders: There better be somekind of über mod when my service is finished! :)
I didn't say anything..... ;)

VonHelsching
01-08-06, 06:15 PM
@ Dowly.

Hang on, 'cause it could be worse, my friend. Here in Greece we had to serve full 18 months...

See you in (~)180 days!

Ducimus
01-08-06, 06:27 PM

Advice should you want it.

Don't be first, don't be last, and don't volunteer for anything.

kiwi_2005
01-08-06, 07:49 PM
Marhkimov

What mods have you made?

Marhkimov
01-08-06, 07:53 PM
I'll be sure to tell everyone by the time Dowly gets back. :lol: :lol: :lol:

hehe, until then.... :ping:

Wolfram
01-08-06, 08:24 PM
My best tips for surviving Basic:

1) The Drill Sgt. or Instructor is always right

2) When in doubt refer to number 1

Also if given the chance go to Officers School/Training.

My best to you sir.

:arrgh!:

Kaptan Tommy
01-08-06, 10:33 PM
Good luck man... I'll miss your "you can't miss it" signatures. :yep:

Marhkimov
01-08-06, 10:35 PM
Good luck man... I'll miss your "you can't miss it" signatures. :yep:
I hear that! :yep:

Gizzmoe
01-09-06, 01:22 AM
Have fun, Dowly! :)

Dowly
01-09-06, 01:42 AM
Have fun, Dowly! :)

SIR YES SIR !!

Happy Times
01-09-06, 08:01 AM
Well, have a nice time! It'll be great fun to sleep over night in the foxhole (without a tent!) when it's minus 30 degrees Celsius and you are not allowed to do any kind of fire. But, don't get worried, it's not that bad. I have done it more than once. So, enjoy and be a man! You'll see, someone just can't take it...

Ja sama suomeksi: Onnea matkaan! Intti on kiva reissu, kannattaa ottaa kaikki irti. Jos pääset erikoisporukoihin, kuten vaikka tiedusteluun, homma vain paranee. Tulet huomaamaan, kuinka oppii arvostamaan vaikka pelkkää lämmintä suihkua... :up:

-RC- So you were in LRRP also Rosencrantz ? I also recommend that if you want to have fun, learn to live of the land and get fun toys like claymores. Nothing better than hump or ski tens of km with 60- 70kg in your back :lol: Go for the NCO or officer course, you will get great friends for the rest of your life. Onnea! Hyvin menee kun tekee parhaansa eikä liikaa jännitä turhia. ;) http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f0/Finnish_Soldiers_Skiing.jpg/200px-Finnish_Soldiers_Skiing.jpg

don1reed
01-09-06, 08:31 AM
Small advice:

If it doesn't hurt a little bit, everyone would want to try it.--Capt. Alan Brown, 5th Special Forces (Airborne) [deceased]

Best of luck,

Karl-Heinz Jaeger
01-09-06, 08:52 AM
Take care Dowly m8!

kiwi_2005
01-09-06, 08:53 AM
Good on ya Dowly, wish i was young again. I think second time round i would of joined the army or navy. But now i'll have to put up with, as a Armchair General ;)

All the best for your career & dont go shooting anyone in the foot.

:up:

Nippelspanner
01-09-06, 12:33 PM
Have fun man!

my army time (german federal army) was the best time in my life so far... :up:

Sailor Steve
01-09-06, 01:01 PM
Always doing exactly what you're told, bad food, sleeping in the cold, never having time to yourself, long hours of work, short hours of sleep...

I miss it!

Have fun! :cool:

Saturn5
01-09-06, 06:55 PM
Army? How can you go to the Army after playin SH3 so long? :hmm: I bet you must be drafted :D

Good luck!

OrlandoM3
01-09-06, 10:56 PM
God Bless you for defending our freedoms! Even something as simple as having free time for playing a video game.

phatmatt
01-10-06, 12:12 AM
God Bless you for defending our freedoms! Even something as simple as having free time for playing a video game.

Amen to that :up:

Saukko
01-10-06, 05:49 AM
Army? How can you go to the Army after playin SH3 so long? :hmm: I bet you must be drafted :D

Here in Finland all men have to serve (military or non-military). I served one year in armoured brigade at Parola.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_Defence_Forces

Good luck to you, Dowly, don't take it too seriously.

GOZO
01-10-06, 07:49 AM
Good Luck and have fun!

Reminds me of that it today is exactly 26(!!!) years I was drafted for the navy to serve on the Destroyer "HMS Halland" who now has been scrapped and her sister "HMS Småland" is a floating museum in Gothenburg (Sweden). Were did the years go???

:hmm: :)

nonickname
01-10-06, 09:04 PM
Onnea vaan!!!

Rosencrantz
01-12-06, 04:30 PM
So you were in LRRP also Rosencrantz ?

Yep, Happy times! 20 out of 2000 and to be one of those lucky ones... Something to remember! :)

Ducimus
01-12-06, 04:57 PM
Advice should you want it.

Don't be first, don't be last, and don't volunteer for anything.

I was dead serious about that, because its true. I found those words of wisdom much later (like after the fact). If someone told me that when i first went in, my time in basic training would have been alot less stressful. Unless your a lifer in the making and want to make honor graduate or something, its best to just blend in and not do anything to make you stand out.

If you want a good chance at a Sgts attention, be first in line, or be the last in line. As for volunteering, heres a good example i remember like it was yesterday:

Drill sgt stomps into the dayroom and shouted, "Who here has a drivers license?!" Every idiot in the platoon raised his hand.

"Great, your driving a lawnmower, fall out!"

THe lawnmower was the push variety, the lawn wasthe parade grounds. They were out there all day in the august heat and humidity.

Elder-Pirate
01-12-06, 06:57 PM
Yeah I had my ups and downs too ( seasick half the time :( )
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/oleman/EDD837c.jpg

Good greif that was back in 57' and sometimes I wish I was still aboard the ole girl.

:up: Dowly and more power to you.

ReM
01-13-06, 03:18 AM
Good for him!
Let's not write him off altogether: he might actually like it. If administered correctly military service might actually give you a better self-understanding.
When I had to do my tour here in the Netherlands I did NOT want to serve. The idea of having to do something just because somebody told me to do it......this was not for me!
After getting there I rather liked it (it reminded me a lot of the boy scouts when I was 12; playing warrior in the woods and camping outdoors). And I got to play with the heftiest fireworks available!
To make a long story short: I made it to 2nd Lieutenant and served two tours in Yugoslavia; one as a sitting duck and one as a 'liberator'; had a great time and made a little money as well. Personally I think I came out a better person.......

And don't forget: when Dowly gets out, there will be a nice and fresh copy of SH IV for him there, just begging to be played!

Good luck Dowly!