PDA

View Full Version : Torpedo re-load

johnlax
01-07-06, 08:58 PM
guys I know this is a newbie question but can you give me any basic hints about getting my Torpedos re-loaded. I know it must be related to crew management. I just seem to fire off one Torp. then it takes days to re-load. I attempt to keep alot of crew in the forword Torp room but all I get is "waiting in que to be re-loaded" In all these case I have only used one tube so it is not like the crew has 2-3 tubes to work on. Can some suggest Torp re-load 101 for me thanks!!!!!!

g-z
01-07-06, 09:08 PM
Make sure you aren't running silent.

Apart from that, i'm not sure.

Ultraboy
01-07-06, 10:44 PM
If you're not on silent running, here are a few other tips.

1) It's a good idea to have one or two petty officers qualified as torpedomen, this can speed things up a bit.

2) I generally try to give one of my officers the torpedoman qualification as well, that way in a crunch you can toss that officer in the torpedo room to max out the green efficiency bar over the compartment.

3) If you're not concerned about realism, there is an option in the realism settings called "realistic reloads." Un-checking this box will speed up reloads to a very un-realistic speed, but it's fun for just practicing/screwing-around.

hunter301
01-08-06, 01:58 AM
Does anybody know what the "REAL" re-loading time was for these boats?
I don't know about you but if I was the captain and had to sit around drinking coffee for 20 minutes watching prime targets sail on by because my crew was taking 20 minutes to re-load a single torpedo I think I'd surface the boat and re-inact an old naval tradition.
" "KEEL HAULING"

The Avon Lady
01-08-06, 03:00 AM
guys I know this is a newbie question
Search The Community Manual (http://www.communitymanuals.com/shiii/) for "torpedoes".

Crym
01-08-06, 08:16 AM
Does anybody know what the "REAL" re-loading time was for these boats?
I don't know about you but if I was the captain and had to sit around drinking coffee for 20 minutes watching prime targets sail on by because my crew was taking 20 minutes to re-load a single torpedo I think I'd surface the boat and re-inact an old naval tradition.
" "KEEL HAULING"

I know how you feel, waiting for reload is no fun. But before you start keel-hauling your crew one by one for no good reason, please take a look at this quote about the XXI electro boat (from http://uboat.net/types/xxi.htm):

"Also they had hydrolic torpedo reload system that enabled the commander to reload all 6 tubes in something like 10 minutes which was even less than it took to reload one tube on the VIIC normally."

So waiting for a tube to load in 12-15 minutes (longer if exhausted or low quality crew) sounds realistic to me, like it or not...

Crym

hunter301
01-08-06, 01:48 PM
"Also they had hydrolic torpedo reload system that enabled the commander to reload all 6 tubes in something like 10 minutes which was even less than it took to reload one tube on the VIIC normally."

So waiting for a tube to load in 12-15 minutes (longer if exhausted or low quality crew) sounds realistic to me, like it or not...

Crym

If these are the actual loading times than I am all for it. I was just wondering if the wait time was realistic. Since I have not piloted the type XXI yet I have to ask, can all six tubes be reloaded in 10 minutes as shown in the manual. I only want realism.

g-z
01-08-06, 01:55 PM

Crym

I like it. Makes me notice crew management more. Every man counts.

g-z
01-08-06, 01:56 PM

Crym

If these are the actual loading times than I am all for it. I was just wondering if the wait time was realistic. Since I have not piloted the type XXI yet I have to ask, can all six tubes be reloaded in 10 minutes as shown in the manual. I only want realism.

10 minutes for 6 tubes?

I don't think so

Crym
01-08-06, 06:58 PM
I just tried the XXI single player mission (1945 alternative with veteran crew) to check the reload time. All six torpedoes fired by 10:03, reload finished 10:16. This was with a full green bar in the torpedo compartment using the realistic reload time option and no mods that (as far as I know) change the reload time.

Crym

Farside
01-08-06, 07:34 PM
theres a thread above which covers reloading etc entitled 'Torpedo Problems' have a check there

but whats keel hauling?

Crym
01-08-06, 08:16 PM
but whats keel hauling?

Found this definition on http://www.wordwebonline.com/en/KEELHAUL:

"To haul under the keel of a ship, by ropes attached to the yardarms on each side. It was formerly practised as a punishment in the Dutch and English navies".

Crym

The Avon Lady
01-09-06, 04:09 AM
but whats keel hauling?

Found this definition on http://www.wordwebonline.com/en/KEELHAUL:

"To haul under the keel of a ship, by ropes attached to the yardarms on each side. It was formerly practised as a punishment in the Dutch and English navies".
:yep:

A cinematic example of keelhauling can be seen in the original version of the movie "Mutiny on the Bounty", starring Charles Laughton and Clark Gable - a classic! :up: :up:

SmokinTep
01-09-06, 07:48 AM
A well trained 688 crew is lucky to load a tube in 10-15 minutes, and thats using hydraulics. I doubt that a U-Boat could do better using chain falls.........