PDA

View Full Version : Ship vulnerability seems to have no effect

Kurt Alden
01-06-06, 04:54 AM
Hello all

I've recently started using the ship vulnerability mod to get an idea of where best to target specific ships. I'm a little fed up with having to use 3 torpedoes for a C3 cargo so I thought I'd give it a go.

Anyway, I was attacking a C3 and, using the vulnerability mod ship recognition guide I targeted the fuel tanks exactly where the first mast is forward of the bridge, ie bang in the middle of the fuel tanks. I also set my torpedo depth to 2 m. Each shot was bang on target but I still needed 3 torpedoes to sink the ship which was a little disappointing. I followed the ship for several hours after each torpedo to see if it would eventually sink but no joy.

Has anyone had any sucess using these kind of tactics and, if so, where should I be aiming?

Thanks
K

Saturn5
01-06-06, 06:24 AM
When I use the vulnerability mod shown on the recon manual I do not set the depth of my torpedoes. When I click the fuel tank on a ship the depth is set automaticly.

Try not to manually set the depth of your torpedoes next time. I hope you will succed.

Kurt Alden
01-06-06, 07:00 AM
When I click the fuel tank on a ship the depth is set automaticly.

Oh so if you move the periscope up and down that changes the point on the ship (ie, the height) that it'll hit? That's very useful to know. I'll give it a go.

MirabelleBenou
01-06-06, 07:21 AM
When I use the vulnerability mod shown on the recon manual I do not set the depth of my torpedoes. When I click the fuel tank on a ship the depth is set automaticly.

Try not to manually set the depth of your torpedoes next time. I hope you will succed.

It'll only work in some case. It depends on your realisms settings.

The torpedo on impact modes are usefull only if the weather is really bad.

In order to sink a ship with only 1 torpedo, you'll have to use magnetic mod (remind to set the depht 2 meters lower than the ship)

MirabelleBenou
01-06-06, 07:27 AM
When I click the fuel tank on a ship the depth is set automaticly.

Oh so if you move the periscope up and down that changes the point on the ship (ie, the height) that it'll hit? That's very useful to know. I'll give it a go.

No, if you move the peri up and down, it'll not change.

It'll change something if you move it left or right.

I suggest you to read this tutorial :

http://www.paulwasserman.net/SHIII/

Very useful and well writen :)

IRONxMortlock
01-06-06, 08:59 AM
I've noticed the same thing shooting at the fuel areas. No effect.

Engines work well though. Aim for them, bring the target to stop and take it out at your leisure. :up:
________
BananaBunny (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/BananaBunny/)

Kurt Alden
01-09-06, 03:56 AM
Hey

Yeah it seems that shooting at the fuel tanks doesn't help much. Aiming at the engines and bringing it to a halt would help but it'd still mean I'd need 3 torps per c3 cargo, etc so it's still a bit annoying.

I've found though that a two torpedo spread often seems to do the damage of 3 torpedos though so I seem to be having more sucess with this technique.

Does anyone know if that kind of effect has been built in to the game (ie, two torps hitting almost simultaneously does more damage) or if it's just my imagination.

Saturn5
01-09-06, 06:46 PM
It'll only work in some case. It depends on your realisms settings.

You might be right. I play with TDC on.

Kurt Alden
01-10-06, 08:33 AM
An update using torpedo spreads. I have tried using two torpedo spreads against C3's constantly since my last post and they have taken out a C3 every single time. Whereas, using single torpedo's I normally find I need 3. Interesting stuff.

I'd love to know if and how this is programmed into the game. Ie, if two torpedo's hit within 5 seconds, how much more damage does that do than if two torpedos hit 30 seconds apart. Does anyone know how this works?