PDA

View Full Version : Newbie bearing questions

franx
01-02-06, 01:53 PM
Fellas, sorry for something so basic, but SHIII is my first naval sim.

First, is there any way to expand the size of the speed, navigation and depth meters? I'm having trouble reading them. Weak eyes.

Second, despite viewing the nav tutorial several times, I'm still really confused. If I get a reading on a frieghter heading 231, does that mean I should bear 231 also for intercept? TIA for any help.

lafeeverted
01-02-06, 07:11 PM
If you were to turn to the same heading you would most likely be on a parallel course and would not intercept the target.

If you have the targets bearing and heading you can easily plot the position on the map by drawing a line from a point located at the bearing. This will orient you somewhat as to a direction to be heading. if you don't have visual contact yet you need more information. You do not have a distance to the target yet so you will have to get a few more hydrophone readings to zero in on a more accurate guess as to the targets position.

Deimos01
01-02-06, 09:12 PM
Check the community wiki thread at top of page. Its the sticky. It has a good tutorial on plotting intercept courses.

As to you specific question. It depends on if you get a report on the targets heading or if one of you watchmen calls out a bearing to target.

Target heading is the compass direction the target is heading in.

Bearing to target is the direction of the target in relation to your u-boat. 0/360deg is always the front of your boat. 180deg the rear. So if your watchman calls out ship spotted bearing 90 that means the target will be directly to the right of your boat regardess of what heading he is on.

As for not being able to read the dials. Check the mod forum. There are a few mods out there that help with that.