PDA

View Full Version : No more ammunition, roll them under!

Perilscope
01-02-06, 12:02 PM
The other day when returning from a patrol I encountered a small merchant. With no torpedoes left I tried to sink it with less than 4 shells over all, I couldn't finish it. It was sitting there like a half wet duck. But I was determined to sink it. :damn:

Well I found a way; I sank it by rolling it under the waves.

I save often, so I reloaded and searched for the same merchant, this time recording the final event with my camera. Sorry, the video is not that great, I refuse to install software's for the cause. :roll:

Anyway, for who wants to see it, here is the "clip (http://www.nettouring.com/GZ/Ubi/SH3/_DL/Roll_them_under.avi)", it's about 58 seconds.

By the way, since I learned about this trick I save a lot on ammunitions and sink more boats per patrol, about 8 to 12 ships more, that's allot. :arrgh!:

Gizzmoe
01-02-06, 12:10 PM
Cheater!!! :stare:

:)

CWorth
01-02-06, 12:12 PM
Cheater!!! :stare:

:)

ROFLMAO!!! :rotfl:

Gotta love some of the flaws in the games damage models.

Perilscope
01-02-06, 01:42 PM
Gotta love some of the flaws in the games damage models.
…especially when you roll over an enormous T3 with a little sub. :hmm: :rotfl:

simsurfer
01-02-06, 01:52 PM
Thats pretty funny, great video as well, thanks for the tip if I am ever in that situation :-)

Hartmann
01-02-06, 03:57 PM
i remember a movie where The nautilus submarine capable of ramming ships and sending them to the ocean floor.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Perhaps a new model to do :-j

drEaPer
01-02-06, 04:36 PM
why didnt u take damage?

phatmatt
01-02-06, 05:03 PM
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: thx for the tip :up: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Perilscope
01-02-06, 06:29 PM
why didnt u take damage?
I was going less than 4 knots. But I am not sure at which speed we get some damage… to experiment. :)

don1reed
01-02-06, 06:34 PM
hee hee hee that was like smothering a sleeping person with a pillow

:rotfl:

CWorth
01-02-06, 07:10 PM
why didnt u take damage?

For one because of the seriously flawed damage modeling in the game when it comes to your sub hitting something.

Hit a anti-sub net and its lights out or your damaged a good amount....but hit a ship at the same speed and you walk away hardly scathed and the ship that you hit..sinks :roll: :nope:

Ive slammed C2 and C3 cargo ships going full flank speed ahead and passed clean through it and only took like 4% hit to my hull and nothing else when testing this.

So because of this people turn to the ridiculous act of ramming the sub into a ship to sink it when in reality it would be a suicide maneuver to do so.

Just to bad there is no way to fix this to prevent the use of such attempts....as funny as they may be to do on occasion for the heck of it.

Perilscope
01-03-06, 10:18 AM
...because of this people turn to the ridiculous act of ramming the sub into a ship to sink it when in reality it would be a suicide maneuver to do so...Actually its kind of boring that there's is not more ways to tweak this game once you have finished a nice fair campaign. As far I am concerned this act of ridiculous ramming is fun when you try to extend the game play beyond its normal original function… :)

drEaPer
01-04-06, 08:59 AM
I tried it, several times.

I steer on a 90° collision course.
Then I hear the noise of impact, and the game immediatelly ends, showing me the stats of my career. In the background you see a picture of my sub hitting the freighter.
To the top it sais: U-Boot durch Kollision zerstört. (Submarine destroyed by collision.)

Am I missing something?

Wolfram
01-04-06, 11:37 AM
I am going to go with drEaPer on this one - I have never been able to ram a cargo ship without either severe damage or even end of career.

:lurk:

CWorth
01-04-06, 12:29 PM
Thats strange....I can do it anytime and never take more than 4% hull damage no matter what ship I hit or what speed is used.

Perilscope
01-04-06, 01:46 PM
This game never stops surprising me. I can't believe CWorth never gets dammed more than 4%, I don't at all, and some of you can't even scratch a boat or else the fun ends???

I am so amazed how many different results this game produces.
Do you guys have any mods installed? I don't.

TwistedFemur
01-04-06, 02:50 PM
depends on if you have vulerability checked or not

CWorth
01-04-06, 02:59 PM
The only big mods I use are

SH3 Commander
Real UBoat
Harbor Traffic
Hollywood Advanced RUB version mod

The rest are

Das Boot Background Movie
AIL Particle Mod
AIL Sky Mod
AIL Wake Mod
All Grey Contacts Mod
HFMod Carriers
HFMod Battleships
HFMod Cruisers
Map Loading Screen Mod
Shell Damage Textures
SHIII Flag Mod 2
Marhkimovs Torpedo Textures
Sub Crew v.4
tankeriv Seafloor Mod
Terrain Upgrade v2
Bordinstrumente mod
CA Officer Icon Mod
Camera mod v2
Hi Rez Moon
Type941 Mega Liner/Transport/AuxCruiser Mod
HMS Ceramic
SpotLights on merchants and planes mod
FUBARS Submarine skin Mods

I think thats all of them...may be a few other graphics addons in there somewhere..my game is so modded I dont think there is much original content left :lol:

CWorth
01-04-06, 03:00 PM
depends on if you have vulerability checked or not

I use 100% realism and still only take 4% or less damage if I strike a ship.So the vulnerability plays no role in this either I dont think.

Wolfram
01-04-06, 03:03 PM
I am using IuB and SH Commander - I dunno maybe its "where" you hit the boat like a torpedo shot that counts....

Its all a matter of personal tastes I guess...

Only important thing is -

Have Fun!

:lurk:

jasondef
02-13-06, 06:05 PM
I think I read somewhere that the latest 1.4 patch fixes this and won't let you ram anymore like that, so maybe you don't have the latest patch so you can ram successfully?

Kilamon
02-13-06, 06:36 PM
I once sank an elco torpedo boat in bad weather just by thinking bad thoughts at it. I was an ANGRY kaleun! I was thinking angry thoughts at it as it circled around, taunting me, and then ! bam! it sank. I was a little upset that I wasn't allowed to qualify the kill in my log book because the SS might think I were psychic and then, well, they'd make me think angry thoughts about Churchill!

hehe true though. An Elco was circling me (I dove because it spotted me and the weather was too rough (rain was heavy, 20m wind) and as I watched in the periscope, it just ... sank. /shrug

Igziabeher
02-13-06, 07:15 PM
i cannot hit anything... but then again ive never "tried"

i got rammed by an angry coaster though, and i had to limp back home with under 50% hull. i did sink him and his c2 buddy though.

the capper to a great patrol that saw u-68 sink 2 clemsons and a tribal... not to mention near a dozen merchies