PDA

View Full Version : Merged installment!

Ragtag
01-01-06, 02:33 PM
Would be nice if they made it possible to merge SH3 with SH4 like 1C did with the IL2 series :)

01-01-06, 03:44 PM
Would be nice if they made it possible to merge SH3 with SH4 like 1C did with the IL2 series :)
Why would they do that?

Torplexed
01-01-06, 04:15 PM
Hmmm. Perhaps as a U-Boat captain after you have been captured by the Americans you are given an option to sign up as an American submarine skipper and then they send you up to Groton to begin training on a brand-new Gato.

Frankly without some sort of destroyer platform I don't see how you could really work between the two theaters. U.S. submarines didn't operate in the Atlantic very long before they were pulled to be put to better use elsewhere.

ReaperJester
01-01-06, 04:58 PM
Would make being a monsoon boat captain rather more interesting though wouldn't it? .

Marhkimov
01-01-06, 05:45 PM
I'd rather hope for an entirely new game engine. By the time we install SHIV, we shouldn't even have to think about returning to the stone-aged SH3.

finchOU
01-01-06, 07:21 PM
Do you really think they will make a new game or just use the same SH3 engine for SH4 and increase the eye candy and maybe adding a few new things?

me thinks they should finish SH3 first if you know what i mean.

Marhkimov
01-01-06, 07:27 PM
That's the problem. Methinks the SH3 engine has too many flaws beyond fixing, and that they could do better by starting over again.

But of course, the next SHIV engine should resolve all of the troubles of the current engine...

Sniper_1
01-01-06, 09:30 PM
My money is on Ubi using the SH3 engine and just updating the eye-candy :roll:

Sniper_1

Ragtag
01-01-06, 10:45 PM

Sniper_1

That's what i believe too ;)

ReaperJester
01-01-06, 11:31 PM

Sniper_1

Unfortunately...the same

Marhkimov
01-02-06, 12:44 AM
It's just hearsay, but there's a rumor that the SDK for SHIV is different than the one that was used on SH3.

If that's the case, then there's a good chance that SHIV is going to to use an entirely new game engine.

Ragtag
01-02-06, 10:35 AM
It's just hearsay, but there's a rumor that the SDK for SHIV is different than the one that was used on SH3.

If that's the case, then there's a good chance that SHIV is going to to use an entirely new game engine.

Not really. If they are using an upgraded SH3 engine the SDK needs changes. It all depends on how big part of the engine is upgraded i would think. Another thing is the coders, they usually tend to make their own tools instead of using old tools made by others :)

I dont mind if they upgrade the SH3 engine because imo it's brilliant and goes pretty easy on the hardware. You get alot of eyecandy and other nice stuff even on slower computers :)

In any case i have one HUGE wish and that is the removal of the resolution limit to 1024x768. I really hope they abandon resolution limit once and for all :)

Gizzmoe
01-02-06, 10:42 AM
In any case i have one HUGE wish and that is the removal of the resolution limit to 1024x768. I really hope they abandon resolution limit once and for all :)

Have you already tried the display resolution fix?

http://www.communitymanuals.com/shiii/index.php?title=Display_Resolution

Ragtag
01-02-06, 10:49 AM

Have you already tried the display resolution fix?

http://www.communitymanuals.com/shiii/index.php?title=Display_Resolution

Of course i use the mod but the size of the gfx is incorrect since all the games gfx is made for 1024 and you cant fix that without SDK.
And i want to be able to change resolution without using mods or tweaks :)

Laffertytig
01-04-06, 05:41 AM

Id call it more NONSENSE than heresay! :roll:

how can this be the case when the devs havent even been CHOSEN yet, never mind startin work :-?

McBeck
01-04-06, 06:46 AM
Given the timeline for release indicates som sort of new engine.
Its more or less the same timeline as SH3 and thats a new engine.

Marhkimov
01-04-06, 08:01 AM
The devs are all set... We just don't know about it...

Abraham
01-04-06, 11:25 AM
... me thinks they should finish SH3 first if you know what i mean.
Me agree!

Sulikate
01-04-06, 01:54 PM
I'd rather hope for an entirely new game engine. By the time we install SHIV, we shouldn't even have to think about returning to the stone-aged SH3. :yep:

marius
01-05-06, 04:00 AM
I would prefer a combined install.

SH3 is a wicked platform and a big success if you think of the amount of sales this puppy got.

Expanding on the success would make it a great game.

Captain Strangelove
01-05-06, 12:41 PM
Hi there.

I would greatly appreciate a merged installment as well.
Problem is probably that if they start modifying things (e.g. the wrapping of textures around models, etc.) they can't be kept compatible anymore.

@ragtag: The Il2-sequels weren't that different to the first one. Besides mountains, didn't they just add new planes in?

I just wish I could play German submarines in the future as well, the American submarines were so damn ugly!

JU_88
01-05-06, 08:58 PM
Im quite happy with how the Sh3 engine looks! the coast could use a bit more detail and variation in the textures, some large rocks, houses and few roads would be nice. This kind of detail should at least be present in the areas around ports.
Oh and the aircraft models look ****e - they need to be remodelled from scratch! (dont even get me started on their AI) would be nice if you could spot aircraft further away from a reflective sun glare they might give off during good weather. (metal and perspex) apart from that, its fine the way it is.

Have you seen the detail to the land/coast in PT boats: knights of the sea? looks amazing but its a much smaller area thats been modelled.

I think the SH3 engine will be tweaked for sh4, It just needs some fine tuning so that draw distance is better, why on earth would they need to develop a whole new engine?

Ragtag
01-07-06, 07:24 AM
Hi there.

I would greatly appreciate a merged installment as well.
Problem is probably that if they start modifying things (e.g. the wrapping of textures around models, etc.) they can't be kept compatible anymore.

@ragtag: The Il2-sequels weren't that different to the first one. Besides mountains, didn't they just add new planes in?

I just wish I could play German submarines in the future as well, the American submarines were so damn ugly!

About IL2, No!
They didn't just add planes. Textures ,landscape and water got greatly improved plus the addition of Shader 3 support and other gfx improvements.
IL2 has been getting a facelift several times graphically but alas, that's the great thing about the IL2 engine. It can handle it :)