PDA

View Full Version : Pleasa add some Aquatic Life-Forms

ThatDeafDumbandBlindKidd
12-30-05, 07:58 PM
While sitting out an depth-charge attack on the ocean floor I don't see any Aquatic life-forms anywhere. Or, I could be lurking around in an Kelp forest. How about some Whales,Sharks and schools of fish.

How about a tight underwater cave to navigate that leads to the center of a flooded volcano uses as a base?

Marhkimov
12-30-05, 08:46 PM
Hehe, fake schools of fish would be nice! Jellyfishes too! :yep:

Could be simply done with random sprites throughout the ocean...

iambecomelife
12-30-05, 11:52 PM
Yep. Since it will be taking place in the Pacific, sharks will be important. Maybe some dolphins, as well. It doesn't have to be anything elaborate that will drag down the framerates - just enough so that the sea seems more "alive".

Abraham
12-31-05, 02:51 AM
How realistic was the presence of aquatic live during WWII on sonar for instance? I don't mind a dorsal fin every day or two and I know that dolphins sometimes caused torpedo alarms, but, dev team, don't do anything that slows the frame rate!

Safe-Keeper
01-01-06, 10:42 PM
I'd say that a whale surfacing and blowing would be something reviewers would be sure to take note of.

marius
01-02-06, 05:50 AM
Good idea. Important parts of the game as sea travel can be lonely.

Dowly
01-02-06, 06:11 PM
AND FFS MAKE THE SEABED BETTER!!! Ooops! capslock on. :oops:

I hope the seabed wouldn´t be as smooth as it is in SHIII, I want rocks and underwater mountains and things like that!

Laffertytig
01-02-06, 06:51 PM
dont mean to be bad but there's at least 2 dozen features id prefer before any of this is added. maybe u should be watchin more discovery channel buddy!!!

Marhkimov
01-02-06, 07:20 PM
Don't worry. Ubisoft will cover everything this time... They better... :arrgh!:

Dowly
01-02-06, 07:24 PM
dont mean to be bad but there's at least 2 dozen features id prefer before any of this is added. maybe u should be watchin more discovery channel buddy!!!

Yep, I know! I want to see the verdammten beards to grow!! :yep:

finchOU
01-02-06, 09:39 PM

haha...exactly how I feel

Don't worry. Ubisoft will cover everything this time... They better... :arrgh!:

Just like last time??? oh...you mean they will say they are going to cover everything then not put it in and say nothing about it before the release of the game and let the community find out through their wallets....and then....not fix it in a patch/expansion...then drop support and work on another title doomed to be released unfinished :-j

Ubi's track record is very shaky in my eyes right now....until they PROVE otherwise.....but because they have us by the balls (meaning the only company willing to invest in WW2 Subsims) they can do whatever they want.

Marhkimov
01-02-06, 09:40 PM
but because they have us by the balls (meaning the only company willing to invest in WW2 Subsims) they can do whatever they want.
Exactly what I was going to say. :yep:

VonHelsching
01-07-06, 08:31 AM
A Kraken to torpedo maybe? (giant squid)
:gulp:

:rotfl:

Torplexed
01-07-06, 06:01 PM
Hopefully they'll add some mermaids sunning themselves on the fantail. ;)

Takeda Shingen
01-07-06, 06:20 PM
And don't forget Godzilla. We will be in Japanese waters.

Marhkimov
01-07-06, 08:42 PM
and Godzilla's buddies too! Can't forget them! :D

Torplexed
01-07-06, 10:01 PM
Yes! We must add Gamera the giant flying turtle too! :P

VonHelsching
01-08-06, 03:46 AM
A nice idea about the upcoming SHIV home-made-movies:

Kraken vs Godzilla vs. Gato

:huh:

Takeda Shingen
01-08-06, 08:14 AM
Yes, but then we have the problem of the historical accuracy of Monster Island's location and appearance. I can see that forum argurment now:

"That island is rendered completely inaccurately. The mountain is on the wrong side of the island and is too tall by nearly 700 meters!"

"No. According to Jane's Radioactive Monsters of the World, 1939, the mountain was moved to the west side of the island in 1927. The lack of limestone foundation on that side of the island prevented the mountain from settling."

g-z
01-08-06, 12:01 PM

Torplexed
01-08-06, 12:40 PM
Good one Tak. :lol:

I have no doubt that there will be some dedicated modder out there who'll make it his life's ambition to render the monster's textures to look like less like flesh and bone and more like those authentic rubber suits the actors wore. ;)

DAB
01-08-06, 01:00 PM
"No. According to Jane's Radioactive Monsters of the World, 1939, the mountain was moved to the west side of the island in 1927. The lack of limestone foundation on that side of the island prevented the mountain from settling."

It was the 1938 edition actually

TwistedFemur
01-09-06, 01:48 PM

YES!!! Some mermaids for our Vcrew's carnal enjoyment!! :up:

Sulikate
01-11-06, 09:28 AM

YES!!! Some mermaids for our Vcrew's carnal enjoyment!! :up:

:arrgh!:

Steiger
01-25-06, 07:42 PM
Only if they are vulnerable to Depth-Charge attacks.

Abraham
01-26-06, 12:21 AM
Only if they are vulnerable to Depth-Charge attacks.
The physiology of Mermaids makes them only vulnerable for Top Charge attacks...

Crop-Duster
01-31-06, 09:26 PM
Dolphins and Porposies leading the the sub while cruising on the surface once in a while would be cool like they do to ships :|\

MP
02-02-06, 06:52 AM
For me this is a general call for more grapical detail. The Subs are great to look at and to move around in, however the world detail needs to be greater. I hope there is more underwater detail (underwater canyons, reefs, aquatic life) more detail in the ports (any chance these could be destructable (torpedoing the jettys, using the deck guns on buildings/crains)).

Like so many people in here im just another gamer. But i would like the devs to put my CPU & GPU and RAM in a world of pain.

SYS:

P4 3.8 @800fsb
256 ATI Radeon x1800XT
2048 DDR2
ASUS P5AD2 Mainboard

Most of us gamers will have seen the graphical quality of splinter cell CT, half life 2, call of duty 2, far cry etcs...... i just hope they bring out SH4 with a kick ass game engine + with lots of options to alter the game however we like, or to alow modders to alter the game.
Then once this is done maybe a modern sub game game of such high quality could be created........i would pay loads for a game like that.

Thx for your time

Bort
02-04-06, 02:45 PM
DON'T FORGET THE KING CRABS!!!!! :hulk: :up:

Sulikate
02-04-06, 03:17 PM
For me this is a general call for more grapical detail. The Subs are great to look at and to move around in, however the world detail needs to be greater. I hope there is more underwater detail (underwater canyons, reefs, aquatic life) more detail in the ports (any chance these could be destructable (torpedoing the jettys, using the deck guns on buildings/crains)).

Like so many people in here im just another gamer. But i would like the devs to put my CPU & GPU and RAM in a world of pain.

SYS:

P4 3.8 @800fsb
256 ATI Radeon x1800XT
2048 DDR2
ASUS P5AD2 Mainboard

Most of us gamers will have seen the graphical quality of splinter cell CT, half life 2, call of duty 2, far cry etcs...... i just hope they bring out SH4 with a kick ass game engine + with lots of options to alter the game however we like, or to alow modders to alter the game.
Then once this is done maybe a modern sub game game of such high quality could be created........i would pay loads for a game like that.

Thx for your time

totally agreed; Athlon64 3000+
1024RAM DDR
660 256MB

I think I'm ready to some kick ass graphics too... SHIV, here I come :arrgh!:

Marhkimov
02-05-06, 12:43 AM
Extras are always good, but I'm also looking forward to some nice Gato and Balao models. :up:

Abraham
02-05-06, 05:34 AM
I prefer attention to the different gun and antenna arrangements on the US subs above attention to the different sea species.

Joe S
02-05-06, 08:36 PM
Gameplay, sound effects and graphics, in that order, are what makes a sim worthwhile and long lasting, in my opinion. The ooos and ahhs that you get from frills that do not contribute to gameplay wear off quickly when the games deficiencies hit home. Of course, if there are no game deficiencies, no problem, but so far, every game that I have playes, Sub Battle Simulator, Up Periscope, AOD, Silent Hunter I, II and III have all had more than enough. If seems like the developers of the latest sim have never played the ones that came before them resulting in the omission of many good features. For all its crude graphics and lack of sound effects, Sub Battle Simulators one one of the best for gameplay. just my opinion, for what its worth. Joe S

MP
02-07-06, 03:32 PM
I think we can all agree we all want more little niceties, but again I would like to see a sub sim which in every aspect amerces us. There are few games & sims for that matter that IMO fail to really push top end PCs. With grapicaly rich games such as Half Life 2, Doom 3, Far Cry etcs…. I would just love to have a SIM preferably covering all platforms and eras (WW2/modern), which makes you go WOW once in a while. SH3 had this effect initially, but then you notice were the game is lacking. Again IMO this was graphically, so i guess im asking the devs to build a sim which comes close to a movie. I think the hardware is there, now id like to see the software.

STEED
02-07-06, 05:30 PM
Don’t forget the seagulls crapping on the deck crew and able to shoot them down. :rotfl: :-j

Sulikate
02-07-06, 05:43 PM
I think we can all agree we all want more little niceties, but again I would like to see a sub sim which in every aspect amerces us. There are few games & sims for that matter that IMO fail to really push top end PCs. With grapicaly rich games such as Half Life 2, Doom 3, Far Cry etcs…. I would just love to have a SIM preferably covering all platforms and eras (WW2/modern), which makes you go WOW once in a while. SH3 had this effect initially, but then you notice were the game is lacking. Again IMO this was graphically, so i guess im asking the devs to build a sim which comes close to a movie. I think the hardware is there, now id like to see the software.

100% agreed.

Joe S
02-07-06, 06:08 PM
Keep in mind that everything comes at a price--- Either more time in development, higher retail cost, or omitting other aspects of the game. If you want SH4 before we all die of old age, you want to be able to afford it, and you want to be able to play it without buying the latest and greatest new PC, and you want good gameplay , graphics and sound effects, be careful what else you wish for, because the more features you add to the program you either have to pay more or give up something else.. I hope the developers stick to gameplay, graphics and sound, which is what will make or break it. (gameplay includes features such as adjustable AI, a mission builder ala SHI, a dymanic campaign, no serious flaws in manual targeting, etc. )Joe S

STEED
02-08-06, 05:27 PM
Joe S - Keep in mind that everything comes at a price

Very good point :up:

oche
02-21-06, 10:54 AM
Speaking of this...check this out guys:

http://www.subsim.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=44016

great underwater modelling

MP
02-23-06, 04:03 PM
Speaking of this...check this out guys:

http://www.subsim.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=44016

great underwater modelling

Very Nice, Just what i would like to see, thx for the link.

Trout
03-01-06, 03:57 PM
I think they will given the fact that they put seagulls in SH3 as well as people in port. Dolphins and sharks would be fun.

I'm also hoping that they really sink their teeth into the coastal environment. Beaches, trees, fishing villages, the works. I'd especially like to cruise by a Japanese outpost on the shore and blow the crap outta it with my surface guns (especially at night!)

WHich raises the question, if you cruise by a village and hose down a dude with your tommy gun from the bridge, would that make it an FPS?

Trout

STEED
03-01-06, 06:40 PM
sharks would be fun.

Yea man eating sharks. :lurk: :lurk: :lurk:

Safe-Keeper
06-22-06, 04:52 PM
If they implement Man-over-board situations, sharks could be a real threat. When the USS Indianapolis was sunk, the surviving crewmen floated around in the water for four days before being rescued, and quite a few of them were killed by marauding sharks.

As for eye-candy-only things such as seagulls landing on your sub, jelly-fishes, sea-weeds, etc., that should be an option so that people with low-end computers can turn it off.

I'm also hoping that they really sink their teeth into the coastal environment. Beaches, trees, fishing villages, the works. I'd especially like to cruise by a Japanese outpost on the shore and blow the crap outta it with my surface guns (especially at night!)
:roll:
Villages with illumination effects and dynamic lighting for their light sources (fires, lamps, etc.), yes. Massacres of civilian population/animal life? Unneccessary FPS drain. And stupid.

Villages, too, should be "turn-off-able". Those that don't matter to game-play, at least.

Give the whale a colission mesh as colliding with him would maybe hurt you, but leave it at that.