PDA

View Full Version : Erich Topp RIP

Easty
12-29-05, 10:05 AM
Hi Guys

I just read on the uboat.Net Forum that Admiral Erich Topp holder of the Knights Cross with Oak Leaves and Swords and fabled commander of U57, U552 , U3010 and 2513 passed away on the 26th of december.

Very Very sad news.

Regards
Andrew

Wolfram
12-29-05, 10:09 AM
My crew and I stand at attention and present a salute to a legend...

Rest well sir

Gizzmoe
12-29-05, 10:10 AM
Yes, that was already mentioned in "General Topics":
http://www.subsim.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=46720

HereĀ“s the link to the uboat.net thread:
http://www.uboat.net/forum/read.php?f=3&i=42567&t=42522

Carolus Rex
12-29-05, 10:39 AM
Funny to see a German officer saluted on a message board wich contains mostly sons of allied soldiers.

I join in though.

Rest in Peace!

frogdog
12-29-05, 10:45 AM
The man was a warrior, patriot and professional who did his duty to his country...honorably...regardless of the side he was on. He was not a terrorist, a thug or schniviling bureaucrat. As such...he is deserving of my respect...even though he was on the losing side. A side I might add that was fully deserving of losing big time.

rulle34
12-29-05, 10:48 AM
My respect to Admiral Erich Topp and condolences to his relatives and close ones.

Spaxspore
12-29-05, 10:59 AM
The man was a warrior, patriot and professional who did his duty to his country...honorably...regardless of the side he was on. He was not a terrorist, a thug or schniviling bureaucrat. As such...he is deserving of my respect...even though he was on the losing side. A side I might add that was fully deserving of losing big time.

Well said

LukeFF
12-29-05, 11:04 AM
S!

fire-fox
12-29-05, 11:05 AM
Eric Topp was one of the many grate men and personalities to come from both sides of the war and its a pity that something sow terrible as that conflict produces men and legacies as grate as his.

Eric Topp RIP and may your memory remain on petrol and never be forgoten.

Crash Dive
12-29-05, 11:38 AM
Don't forget he also served as an ally in the post war west german navy. :up:

Hudsonhawk
12-29-05, 11:53 AM

Well said

Here......Here......May he Rest in Peace

VonHelsching
12-29-05, 12:09 PM
Although he was used for propaganda documentaries, he will live forever and be remembered as one of the top submarine (not just u-boat) aces of WWII.

Also as a TYp 21 (XXI) admirer, I should add that he was one of the few who commanded this type of u-boat.

May he rest in peace

Oberon
12-29-05, 01:43 PM
Although he was used for propaganda documentaries, he will live forever and be remembered as one of the top submarine (not just u-boat) aces of WWII.

Also as a TYp 21 (XXI) admirer, I should add that he was one of the few who commanded this type of u-boat.

May he rest in peace

Commanded that type of U-boat? He wrote the book on it....literally!
http://www.uboat.net/men/topp.htm

CV-707
12-29-05, 02:43 PM
May a hero of the Kriegsmarine and later allied marine Rest in Peace. My deepest condoleances to his family and friends.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

El Dude
12-29-05, 02:52 PM
~S~

Spadefish
12-29-05, 03:16 PM
Sailor, rest your oars.

RIP

joea
12-29-05, 04:12 PM
My respect and condoleances to his family. Can't add anything more.

Rosencrantz
12-29-05, 04:42 PM
And there was just... silence.

Requiescit in Pace!

drEaPer
12-29-05, 04:55 PM
He was working for NATO as well later on.

Oh and I wouldnt call it sad news, he was 91 :)

R.I.P <S!>

Redwine
12-29-05, 05:05 PM
I cant believe.... :dead:

He was a warrior, an hero, he lives in honour, he never will die......

_Skii_
12-29-05, 05:37 PM
S!

RayRay
12-30-05, 07:09 PM
I'd rather salute a great warrior or professional solder, than a polititian!
R I P

Kpt. Lehmann
12-30-05, 07:33 PM
... Tosses wreath on the waves. :cry:

Rest in Valhalla Kpt. Topp.

Salute! Honored warrior!

Deimos01
12-31-05, 07:50 AM
Funny to see a German officer saluted on a message board wich contains mostly sons of allied soldiers.

I join in though.

Rest in Peace!

Not so funny really. I recall watching a show about the D-Day landings. They interviewed a German that was a machine gunner during the landing. Said he literally slaughtered 100s of GIs as they tried to make it up the beach. After his capture he became goods friends with some of those GIs and still is to this day.

Most people understand that in war there are 2 sides and both sides are trying to do what they think is right. Herr Topp, from all accounts was a brave warrior and for that deserves respect.

RIP ERIC TOPP

U-552Erich-Topp
12-31-05, 04:58 PM
My condolences to the family and friends of Erich Topp. He was one of the bravest and finest. P.S. I may have to change my user name here at Subsim.com.

U-552Erich-Topp
12-31-05, 05:19 PM
I have just corresponded with the admin of the forum about my user name. It has been recommended that I keep my present user name in remembrance and to honor the real U-boat commander Erich Topp.

Marhkimov
12-31-05, 05:26 PM
I certainly don't mind... And I'm sure the real Erich Topp would be honored. :yep:

gdogghenrikson
12-31-05, 07:50 PM
dont change you username. Im sure Enrich Topp would feel Honoured

Capn Tucker
01-01-06, 02:55 PM
RIP Herr Kaleun... Time to play my mp3 "Ich hatt eine Kamerade"...

STEED
01-31-06, 05:53 PM
Farewell :cry:

Uber Gruber
01-31-06, 07:46 PM
U-552 "Red Devil Boat" commanded by Kapitanleutnant Erich Topp. 35 ships totalling 192,600 tons. St Nazaire was his main base. Awarded Knights Cross in June 1941. An interesting fact is that his crew presented him with a hand made knights cross to celebrate the award, but they replaced the swastika with the prancing devil emblem. He was one of a handfull of commanders to win the oakleaves with Swords added to his Knights Cross.

He was also lept to the defence of Das Boot when the film, and book, was criticised by some U-Boat veterans.

His first patrol as commander was from Bergen in U-57 which lasted 10 days in which he sunk a Swedish boat and the Brocklebank liner "Manipur" off Cape Wrath (part of Convoy HX55) with the loss of 14 hands (64 survivors).

On his second patrol he sank the "Atos", another Swedish vessel, before taking U-57 to the L'Orient.

His third patrol was more successfull ....but you'll have to look all that up on the web.

On a more depressing note, does anyone have any more details on Topp's attack on the American coaster "David H. Atwater" ? In the book called "The Real Cruel Sea" it mentoins that he attacked it with deck gun and machine gun. Only 3 survivors out of 26 were found and the ship's second lifeboat was "riddled with machine gun holes".

Cheers,

Dantenoc
01-31-06, 11:58 PM
Rest in peace.

He had a full life, I'd say, not just a long one but a very eventfull one.