PDA

View Full Version : What style of play do you prefer?

Takeda Shingen
12-27-05, 11:07 AM
Lots of disagreement about this. I am not trying to incite anyone, but am rather trying to get an end to circular argument.

EDIT: Try to refrain from argument, as we have plenty of threads where people can go for each other's throats. Just vote here.

HundertzehnGustav
12-27-05, 11:11 AM
Single.
i like to customize my Game a lot.

goldorak
12-27-05, 02:13 PM
Multiplayer, there is nothing that can compare to hunting a human opponent on a submarine or on a destroyer.

Sulikate
12-27-05, 04:32 PM
Single.
i like to customize my Game a lot. :yep:

Safe-Keeper
12-27-05, 04:45 PM
Single-player, due to the depth.

But if you could undertake MP careers (as pimped by yours truly several times already), that'd be my game type of choice. Join up with a budd', go trough a patrol, save, join up later.

Type941
12-27-05, 05:13 PM
I only bother MP with games that have it done proper. If there are limitations on gameplay in MP, not to mention buggy clients or subsciption based MP - I stay away from it.

Marhkimov
12-27-05, 08:11 PM
I like single play. You can start and end at your own lesiure... For instance if I wanna play 10 hours straight, I know I won't bore the heck out of the computer.

CB..
12-27-05, 08:21 PM
i would play multiplayer perhaps--but ONLY if the only way to communicate is by morse code signal lamp ! is it a game or is it a chat room--heck i don't take it that seriously but the constant barrage of BS streaming across the message board just leaves me wondering why folks play multiplayer games at all --

having to surface and get close and communicate with morse would focus peoples minds on the game--and we'd all learn something in the process LOL ie morse--(i dunno it so i'd be first to struggle)

Torplexed
12-27-05, 08:40 PM
It's always been SP for me. :up:

Polak
12-28-05, 05:06 PM
Both? :roll:

JoachimV
12-29-05, 09:30 AM
Both, on the condition that MP has a competitive element then this will also work for clan-wars

12-29-05, 04:16 PM
I prefer to hunt alone around the atlantic, so i prefer sp

thasaint
12-29-05, 05:46 PM
as i said in the other thread, i already have a ton of multiplayer games that work well multiplayer. sub sims are my "release" from all the multiplayer gaming and trash talking that comes with it. lets me sit back, relax, n sink ships solo :)

Sailor Steve
12-29-05, 10:34 PM
I enjoyed competitive multi-play with SHII and DC, but there was so much BS 'gaming' that it took away from the realism. There were always people playing who didn't care about the war or the equipment, they just wanted to beat you. It stopped being fun for me after a fairly short time.

Real WWII subs travelled alone almost all the time, and that's the way I like to play-alone.

Abraham
12-30-05, 12:48 AM
I like single play. You can start and end at your own lesiure... For instance if I wanna play 10 hours straight, I know I won't bore the heck out of the computer.
Good reason!

mopedmoppel
12-30-05, 06:14 AM
In the past, I have thought also so single player is more comfortable.
but nothing is more thrilling but to outwit a human brain.

CB..
12-30-05, 09:10 AM
There were always people playing who didn't care about the war or the equipment, they just wanted to beat you. It stopped being fun for me after a fairly short time.

:up: same here--doesn't matter wether it's a flight sim or a RPG or a sub sim or what ever the game is--it just becomes impossible to carry on playing as the atmosphere is completely destroyed--and atmosphere is everything :yep:

martes86
12-31-05, 12:18 PM
Both, but sometimes more MP than SP. It's nice to play with the right people. :D

CaptainCruise
12-31-05, 10:13 PM
Before I post my feelings, I must give a shout-out to my long lost brudda......

WONK!!! :arrgh!:

Long time, Tak ole' buddy!! Hope you're doin' well!! Have a happy, safe, New Year!!
Tom "CC"
:sunny:

OK, here I go....
Like many of you, I enjoy both SP and MP, but I voted MP here because I really enjoy the ship vs. sub aspect we had with SH2 and DC. IMHO there is no AI out there that can compare to matching wits with a smart sub driver who has taken the time to learn how to play. I think it's safe to say we all would love to see someone, just once, develop a enemy AI that truly tests your skills, taxes your patience, and racks your nerves like a human player can. Oh yeah....being bug-free and STABLE is a plus. :damn: I haven't played SH3 enough to say the AI is good, bad, or ugly. (I've heard it's decent....)

As far as multiplay goes, I think the biggest issue there is, and will always be....STABILITY!! Those of us who who still bear the scars on our foreheads from banging our collective heads against the wall trying to make the original multiplayer engine that shipped with SH2/DC, "RTime", work with more then 2 players for more than 5 minutes, remember the many nights of frustration, anger, and just a general feeling of "awe shucks...if only". Some nights were better than others, but for the most part I think we all remember what we thought of the games "multiplay" capability as they were shipped by UBI to stores for us to buy. I dunno what SH3 uses....and I think I'm afraid to ask. I've never tried it in MP, so I have no idea if it's better or worse. Whatever happens with SH4, I sincerely hope UBI seriously considers what multiplay engine it chooses to use.

Hope you all have a happy, healthy, and safe New Year. Less than 2 hours to go here, so I'm off to get toasty. Enjoy!!
:arrgh!:

mapuc
01-01-06, 05:47 PM
Where's the third option?

The one with both?

I'm a player that likes to play both type of game. Online and singel

Markus

Marhkimov
01-01-06, 05:57 PM
Can't have both, because the question is: Which is your primary mode of play?

If we had an option for "both", then we'd never get a straight answer.

U-552Erich-Topp
01-01-06, 09:30 PM
Online is better because you not only have the challenge of fighting the ships but you can compete against the other commanders for the highest tonnage score.........not to mention some interesting chats with the other commanders from time to time. I look forward to the SH4 release. Good Hunting, Erich Topp U-552

Chaotic42
01-03-06, 12:16 AM
Single. There are few good singleplayer games out there, and I'd be angry if SH4 was online only (I don't think it will be though).

Caseck
01-10-06, 12:36 PM
Online multiplayer campaign.

Or doom!

Marhkimov
01-10-06, 12:54 PM
Online multiplayer campaign.
There is no such mode... And even if there was, it's not like it would be very functional for SH3 or SHIV.

Red Devil
01-10-06, 01:39 PM
1. Single play
2. Authenticity

ironkross
01-16-06, 08:50 PM
Multiplayer is OK in some games and while it sounds great to go up against a human opponent, it seems it would be one sided in SH. I know I wouldn't want to be on the other side and run boring search patterns with my destroyer for a convoy for hours while my opponent manuvers into attack position in his sub. I can see multiplayer for fighter games and FPSers and of course DW which has several challenging platforms to operate from, but I honestly can't see the balance happening in SH.

STEED
02-12-06, 07:43 PM
Single :ping:

ReallyDedPoet
08-30-07, 01:01 PM
Single player :up:

RDP

RENEGADE-623
08-30-07, 01:49 PM
I prefer single player over multi player for this game, mainly because i play two other games multipro player and it is nice to have one that i can play single player. i play Stee Beasts Pro PE and Americas Army multiplayer and i barely have time for that when im home anymore. Right now i am deployed so multiplayer for any game is out of the question.

SteamWake
08-30-07, 02:55 PM
Single play.

Reason is simple... no one is waiting on me and I'm not waiting on anyone.

Playing with me online would be frustrating as I would constantly having to go afk in the middle of the game.

the_belgian
08-31-07, 04:02 PM
My entire life i spend only about 2 times 5 minutes playing on internet;
1)CFS 2 (taken in the a$$ by a Jap :dead: the moment i entered the game )
2)AA ('kind o'liked it but :nope: ...no rather play alone)

Raptor22ADF
08-31-07, 09:17 PM
Single, as my DSL is the minimalist speed.

momo55
09-01-07, 07:59 AM
Single (career) for SH3 & 4
Online i play with a dutch/belgian bf2 funclan.

sqk7744
09-02-07, 12:58 PM
Both would be a nice option here.

Multiplayer Career mode is definitely a wonderful idea! A VATSIM for Subsim world, if you will. :up:

tycho102
09-02-07, 04:52 PM
Single.
Multiplayer is too much trouble in relation to my schedule. With a game like this, I just wouldn't have time for it.

don1reed
09-04-07, 07:27 PM
Single.

MP to me will come of age when multi play means that several persons man one sub, i.e.,
1 skipper
1 engineer
1 Weaps
etc.

not, 1 player = 1 sub.

Krauter
09-04-07, 08:55 PM
Mostly Enjoy playing Single, as internet gets choppy most of the time..

With regards

Krauter

Bluesub 6
09-06-07, 04:39 PM
I like to play single:yep:

kiwi_2005
09-06-07, 07:46 PM
Single and Multiplayer LAN with a family member.

FIREWALL
09-14-07, 12:36 PM
I'm a SP. But I'd like to try MP to a least experience it once.

chopped50ford
09-16-07, 02:30 PM
I have not figured out Multi Player play yet. Looks difficult. Until then, im for career mode.

U49
09-27-07, 06:28 PM
single.
Online is impossible in SH3, as I need for example hours for a proper attack approach and am often afk