PDA

View Full Version : Win98 Second Edition

The Old Man
12-18-05, 07:44 PM
I found the game @ a use computer store for a little bit of nothing
"10 dollars" & was gonna save it till I could buy Win XP but one evening I install it because I was bored & it ran?????????
This is a win2000/WinXP game but it runs on win98? Anyway I have a gripe with it you can not cut the stupid graphone off in the radio room? Anybody else have this problem too?
Thanx
Roy

The Old Man
12-18-05, 09:32 PM
Never Mind, I see the patch fixes it :-)

Reece
12-19-05, 07:53 AM
I wonder who the biggest nut was, the guy who got rid of SH3 or the guy to sell it in his shop for $10. :D :rotfl:

Hitman
12-19-05, 10:27 AM
Hi Roy, yes it runs well in Win 98SE I had already experienced that on my second PC, the only problem being that the max amount of RAM is 524 and that is really too low for SH3 :roll:

Anyway I have a gripe with it you can not cut the stupid graphone off in the radio room? Anybody else have this problem too?

Are you using the 1.4 patch??

For version 1.0 simply disable ingame music in the options menu, you shouldn't then hear any more music when playing :up:

Panama Red
12-19-05, 03:18 PM
Hitman:
You really should not propagate a myth like that ,i.e. W98SE & 524 RAM.

If you read this web page (scroll to the bottom) you will see how to up your W98SE/ME RAM to 1 GB, as I have done with ZERO problems on my PC: http://www.thpc.info/ram/vcache98.html

The Old Man
12-19-05, 11:26 PM
Hi Hitman long time no talk, I have the same amount of ram & yes the update fix it :-) good chating with you again & by the way I still play Pacific Aces :-) got to have an American theater too :-)
Roy

McBeck
12-20-05, 01:51 AM
Hey Ol man! You still around?!?! :up:

The Old Man
12-20-05, 06:57 AM
good morning McBeck, yes sir, good to see you :-)
Roy

Hitman
12-20-05, 08:35 AM
Hitman:
You really should not propagate a myth like that ,i.e. W98SE & 524 RAM.

If you read this web page (scroll to the bottom) you will see how to up your W98SE/ME RAM to 1 GB, as I have done with ZERO problems on my PC: http://www.thpc.info/ram/vcache98.html

:huh:

I didn't know about that...believe me I was not propagating any myth, I simple was not aware of that :huh:

But it sounds great...will give it a try as I was considering building a racing games dedicated PC from some of the old parts I had been placing apart after updgrading.

I think that an optimized game build of Win98SE on a Celeron 2.8 (P4 generation) I have with 1024 MB RAM @512MHz (FSB of the Celeron is also @512) plus a decent video card might be even faster for playing GPL and GTR than a P4 2.6 with FSB @ 333 with Win XP and 2GB memory...

Panama Red
12-20-05, 11:02 AM
Hitman:
To be honest, I believed this myth too until I started doing some research so I could use more RAM on my dual boot ME/XP computer. When I found this site, it answered a whole lot of questions and as a result, it is in my "favorites" file for future referance. :know:

Because of this site, I have 2 GB in my dual boot PC with the ME side only seeing 1 GB while the XP side seeing the whole 2 GB. As a result, my SH3 with all the mods loads in 20 seconds flat compared to some of those other people who have 30 seconds or longer to load with 1 GB of RAM or less. :up:

Hitman
12-21-05, 01:19 AM
As a result, my SH3 with all the mods loads in 20 seconds flat compared to some of those other people who have 30 seconds or longer to load with 1 GB of RAM or less.

So you can confirm that SH3 is faster in Win98SE with 1GB RAM than in XP with 2GB RAM? :huh: Amazing.....does that also apply to playing (frames per second) or only to loading the game?

:o

Panama Red
12-22-05, 10:25 AM
Hitman:
I am sorry if I mislead you. I have SH3 on the XP side (that uses the 2 GB), not the ME side that uses the 1 GB.

I was refering to another thread where people were complaining that it took 30 seconds or longer to load when they only had 1 GB of RAM. I was just trying to point out that 2 GB of RAM does decrease the loading time of SH3 by 10 seconds or more.

Sorry about that. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Crop-Duster
12-29-05, 10:50 PM
The only problem with using Win98SE and patch 1.4b is that careers cannot be saved anymore. In patrols or in port :cry:

It worked fine in SH3 1.0 :x

The Old Man
12-30-05, 06:53 AM
Crop-Duster,
When I get back to port it saves but not while it's on patrol & I have 1.4b ver?

Crop-Duster
12-30-05, 08:45 AM
:up:

Ya I just noticed that!

Thank you :rock:

Cheapskate
12-30-05, 11:27 AM
:up:

Ya I just noticed that!

Thank you :rock:

Hmmm.......it does help a bit. But only if:-

1) You play in real time...leaving computer switched on for days or weeks on end.

or

2) Zoom around everywhere at max TC and try to get your patrol over in a few hours..

In both cases, being very careful not to run into anything nasty, either while you are away from screen, or before you can react.
Also, some of the later mods like SH3 Commander won't run on 98SE.

The answer to the save problem, ought to be halfway easy to find for someone with some computer savvy - unfortunately it aint me -and I spose all those that could do it are running XP!!!

Time for a change methinks!!!! Shame really, I like SE ...wouldn't use anything else on my net computer.... or any other, if I thought I had a choice :cry:

pythos
12-30-05, 02:15 PM
My experience with SH3 and Win 98 (my only experience with this wonderful and addictive game), I have found that saving games whenever I want works just fine. No oblivious DDs like in SHII. The thing that seems to be missing is the radio messages dealing with things other than convoy contacts, and return messages from BDU. I am running 1.4b along with RUB 1.45, and the latest harbor traffic.

Sh3 commander does not work, as well as the weapons officer assistance.

The windows set up according to my computer settings is Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.1998A

I have a feeling this is acctually an older version of windows.

Cheapskate
12-30-05, 05:50 PM
The windows set up according to my computer settings is Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.1998A

I have a feeling this is acctually an older version of windows.

Hi again Pythos! I remember that you said you weren't having the save problem when we discussed it in a previous thread.

Now I know why! My version of 98SE is 4.10.222A and it is very heavily modded with the unofficial update available on the web.

Someone in my family has an older version. I'll have to dig it out and see if it works. Never mind about fewer radio messages and weapons officer assistance. I'll settle for in-mission campaign saves any old day!

Cheers matey

Crop-Duster
12-30-05, 07:26 PM
"The thing that seems to be missing is the radio messages dealing with things other than convoy contacts, and return messages from BDU. I am running 1.4b along with RUB 1.45, "

hmmm

I'm running Win98SE 4.10.222A and both of the above and I'm getting ALL the extra radio messages.

Cheapskate
12-30-05, 08:26 PM
"The thing that seems to be missing is the radio messages dealing with things other than convoy contacts, and return messages from BDU. I am running 1.4b along with RUB 1.45, "

hmmm

I'm running Win98SE 4.10.222A and both of the above and I'm getting ALL the extra radio messages.

Yep, I've got same version as you and I get 'em too. Pythos has got 4.10.1998A *but* he can get still get in-mission saves like we used to with version SH3 version 1..... and I know what I'd rather have! Shame that 1.4b seems to have screwed up the saves on SE , when it improved so many other things ( decent sonar reports etc ). Wouldn't go back to the earlier version though. I'd sooner not do any careers until I get my new rig built - I'm going to run Win2K on that.

DaRealOdi
01-17-06, 10:52 AM
I have the same problem (saving during the patrol)- finally, I have found some answer in this topic. Thank You! :)

My Win98SE version is 4.10.2222A. Of course, I cannot save during the patrol (at least I know why....:/), but in my country (Poland) SHIII was sold in 1.2 version. And in 1.2 ver it's also impossible to save the game on sea, like in 1.4b! So... I bought the game, and - practically - I cannot play! I just cannot go back to 1.1 ver, because patch 1.2 is implemented:(

My question: is installation of WinXP could be an only possibility to resolve this problem? There isn't any "unofficial" patch? Nothing could be changed i career files?

Cheapskate
01-17-06, 03:08 PM
I have the same problem (saving during the patrol)- finally, I have found some answer in this topic. Thank You! :)

My question: is installation of WinXP could be an only possibility to resolve this problem? There isn't any "unofficial" patch? Nothing could be changed i career files?
No unofficial patch or mod, that I know of, will help with career saves in Win98SE. If anyone else knows differently please let us know!

DaRealOdi
01-17-06, 04:19 PM
YES - PLEASE LET US KNOW! PLEASE PLEASE! :D

Now I can play only Mediterranean Campaign, because of shrt time mission in that region. I can save my career safely only in base after mission, so Atlantic patrols are too long for me, unfortunatelly...:(