PDA

View Full Version : Tracers?

SubSerpent
12-17-05, 10:31 AM
I served in the US Navy for six years, two of which were spent on FFG-47(USS Nicholas), one at Port Ops Norfolk, Va., and three spent with NATO in Naples, Italy. I don't recall ever being able to see any tracer rounds fired from our O2 level deck gun when we did firing exercises out at sea. Seems like EVERY surface ship modelled in game plus U-boats fire tracer rounds every time. Is there not a way to disable this? Seems like it would be more realistic if there were not as many tracer rounds fired and a bit more realistic. Thought they were used mostly in night time engagements to simplify aiming in the dark and to adjust sighting in on the enemy? Silent Hunter III models EVERY ship and U-boat firing tracer rounds in the day time and it makes it a bit easier to avoid the incoming rounds when you see them coming towards you, granted they are moving quite fast and some are perfectly placed and completely unavoidable. Anyways, I just think it would be cool to see puffs a smoke emitted from surface ship guns without seeing the rounds coming towards the U-boat (Ala Master & Commander movie, with the guns going off in the fog. Awesome scene!!!)