PDA

View Full Version : How do I turn down the background audio, like engine noise?

RayRay
12-12-05, 06:36 AM
This is a game I really like. Realism, long hours in front of the computer. But after a while the constant hum even drounds out the music. I tried a few things in the Options/audio but the ones I turned down were not correct.
I also appreciate the FAQ you have posted, answered a lot of questions.
Thanks,
Al

Paajtor
12-12-05, 07:13 AM
I think best is to edit the relevant engine-sounds yourself.
Find any sound you want to change, in the data/Sound-folder.

Col7777
12-12-05, 11:09 AM
Thats what I did, I found another sound for the engine and changed it, now it is not as noisy.

SteamWake
12-12-05, 11:49 AM
Look for a small knob on your speakers marked Vol.

Rotate it counter clockwise :-j

Average Joe
12-12-05, 08:55 PM
This is a game I really like. Realism, long hours in front of the computer. But after a while the constant hum even drounds out the music. I tried a few things in the Options/audio but the ones I turned down were not correct.
I also appreciate the FAQ you have posted, answered a lot of questions.
Thanks,
Al

Hi, To reduce diesal engine-volume only:

If running Win-XP, open your SH3 folder, then do a CTL-F (find), and search for sound file,
' Submarine_diesel_exterior.wav '.

Right-click on the file found, then click on 'Record'.

Press the 'Play' button, listen to how loud it is.

Click on the 'Effects' menu, then click on 'Reduce Volume'. Click on 'Reduce Volume' about 5/6 times. Then Click on 'File' and hit 'Save'. Start SH3 and the engine volume should be less. If still to loud, quit out of SH3 and reduce-volume even more.

I've had to do this with a few sounds (mostly 'ambient' files), because either they're too loud, or play when they're not supposed to.

Marhkimov
12-12-05, 09:03 PM
Does anyone know how to increase certain sound ranges? For instance, it would be helpful if we could hear ships and airplanes from a longer distance.

As it is now, you can only hear destroyers when they are about 1000m away, and at 30kts they'll be over you in no time... Same for airplanes... You finally hear them after it is too late...

Increasing volume, although helpful, does not actually increase the range of the sounds. So has anyone figured out how?

Paajtor
12-15-05, 11:06 AM
Maybe Sh3.sdl (located in the data/Sound-folder) is the file to edit...but I have no idea what it actually does, and if it's editable at all.

Marhkimov
12-15-05, 11:54 AM
Maybe Sh3.sdl (located in the data/Sound-folder) is the file to edit...but I have no idea what it actually does, and if it's editable at all.

Tried it, doesn't work. Can be edited using TT's mini tweeker.