PDA

View Full Version : Detailed walkthroughs for SH3 training missions?

Papageno
12-11-05, 02:54 PM
Apologies if this is a FAQ (and I did glance at the FAQ, but didn't see this) but I'm wondering if there are detailed walkthroughs anywhere to tell one "hit this key now to view the radio message" and "hit this other key now to dive to a certain depth," etc. I know I'm rather late to the party-- I asked this question over on Octopus Overlords and Rip (who apparently is a big poster here as well) told me there are, and that this was the place to find out.

What can I say, I'm more of a "learning by doing" guy. This is my first post here, BTW. :cool:

Paajtor
12-11-05, 03:41 PM
My copy of SH3 came with a key-chart....yours didn't?
A few basic keys:

View Radio messages = M

Dive to periscope depth = P

Dive = D

Crash dive = C (if depth under keel is over 70m)

Maintain depth = A

Surface = S

Emergency surface = E

Hard to port = [

Hard to starbord = ]

Rudder amidships = '

View to heading = - (make sure you're fully patched)

Head to view = = (make sure you're fully patched)

All stop = ~

Ahead slow = 1

Ahead 1/3 = 2

Ahead standard = 3

Ahead full = 4

Ahead flank = 5

Back slow = 6

Back 1/3 = 7

Back standard = 8

Back emergency = 9

...and last but not least, F1 = Help. :D

davidaspy
12-11-05, 03:54 PM
Mine did come with the key chart, but its in German. Anyway, heres a few more you'll use

Observation Periscope - O
Weapon Managment Screen - I
Deck Gun - F10
Flak Gun - F11
Outside View - F12
Cycle Target View < >
Lock Target - L

Papageno
12-11-05, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the replies. Mine did come with all that stuff-- I just thought someone(s) may have done a writeup with step-by-step instructions of the training missions. Something akin to the tutorial walkthrough that came with Heroes of Might and Magic III back in the day. Basically a hand-holding writeup that would start like this:

"In the first navigation tutorial, the first thing you'll see is the bridge and some officers standing there. What you as the captain need to do first is..."

Paajtor
12-11-05, 04:20 PM
It's really pretty straightforward...don't expect anything complicated during those Academy-missions.

For example, during the first mission, you'll need to travel into a narrow channel....so just look around for a narrow place, and head into that direction, ahead-standard.
You'll also see a few small vessels, which are "monitoring your progress"....they also give you a clue about where to go.
Then use your binoculars (B-key), to spot a ship far ahead....when you reach it, you'll get your next order, etc.

The deck-gun mission...it seems far more difficult to bring that one to a good ending in version 1.4b, than it was when I last played it (v1.2).
If you spend to much time on one particular target, then the others will wander off, so you must act swift and determined.

I just returned to SH3, and got pissed-off by that deckgun-mission, btw... :lol:
I desperately wanted to start a fresh career, and so I cheated, by manually changing the Academy-file:

Go to C:\Documents and Settings\<Username>\My Documents\SH3\data\cfg, and find a file called NavalAcademy.log
Set all results to 500.000000, and all exams to true.
Save the document.
This will give you something like 2 excellent results, a few good, and one or 2 satisfactory...good enough to start your 1st career with 1500 renown.
Maybe you can get better scores by using other values, but it was sufficient for me.

I got better training, by playing a few single-missions prior to my 1st career, but then again I still had the experience from when I played SH3 half a year ago. :)

Don't forget to check the SH3-FAQ's, a sticky on this forum.

Good luck.

BettingUrlife
12-12-05, 12:31 AM
By the time you read such a FAQ a person could have actually finished the tutorials. Any other relevant information that FAQ covers, ship/sub types, renown etc etc are all in the relvevant stickies.

The Avon Lady
12-12-05, 02:02 AM
Why not simply search The Community Manual (http://www.communitymanuals.com/shiii/) for such terms as "naval academy" and "shortcut keys"?! :yep:

Paajtor
12-12-05, 05:45 AM
Found this in the shortcut keys section:

* KP0 - Take a step back and look at the periscope column.

What's that, lol. :doh: