PDA

View Full Version : Options, Synchronized?

Joe S
12-11-05, 12:30 PM
I had to reload SHIII on a new computer, one of the set up options was to check the box for "synchronized" What does that mean? Thanks! Joe S

Dutch
12-11-05, 12:36 PM
Well I've noticed sometimes when I reach a harbor or get near a convoy that the computer will "freeze" not completely but it will pause to load something.

I've always thought it meant that it would do away with that.

Regardless of what it actually does its going to use more RAM and memory and whatever. Its possible that it just makes the framerates smoother, I don't have a clue. :huh:

CWorth
12-11-05, 01:25 PM
What the synchronised button does is turn on VSync.It does not use your systems RAM.

What that does is synchronises your video card with your monitors refresh rate.This is a brief definition of Vsync..

"Vertical Synchronization is an option found in many games that allows the frame rate of the game to be matched to the refresh rate of the monitor. Generally, allowing VSync provides the greatest stability, but turning it off can allow for much higher frame rates. The downside of the greater framerates is the potential for artifacts to develop and tearing to occur."

So in short with Vsync on you get your framerates limited to what your monitors refresh rate is set at.But it makes the game more stable image wise.

With Vsync off you get higher framerates but at a cost of artifacting and tearing in the graphics of the game being quite possible.

Marhkimov
12-11-05, 02:20 PM
With V-sync off, I have +130 FPS in a calm and open ocean, 60-70 FPS when the seas are rolling, 30-40 FPS when I'm around port (HT light).

With V-sync on, I have no idea... I love FPS too much! :D

Etienne
12-11-05, 03:06 PM
You do realize that with a 60hz refresh rate, you don't see half of those 120 fps?

Marhkimov
12-11-05, 03:18 PM
You do realize that with a 60hz refresh rate, you don't see half of those 120 fps?

The human eye can only detect choppiness up to 23 FPS, so anything more is kindof redundant anyways.

So even if I have half of 120, that's still pretty darn good. I can live with 60 FPS. My eyes won't know the difference. ;)

Fishmachine
12-12-05, 09:09 PM

Man, if your screen supports higher refresh rates, then install some utility that will allow you to lock it on higher frequency. Infamous default 60Hz for Direct3D applications causes eye fatigue, especially with long lasting Sh3 patrols ;)

Marhkimov
12-12-05, 09:17 PM

Man, if your screen supports higher refresh rates, then install some utility that will allow you to lock it on higher frequency. Infamous default 60Hz for Direct3D applications causes eye fatigue, especially with long lasting Sh3 patrols ;)

Sorry, I'm not a computer guru. How can I find out my screen refresh rates? And how can I improve it?

Gizzmoe
12-13-05, 01:58 AM
The human eye can only detect choppiness up to 23 FPS, so anything more is kindof redundant anyways.

That´s not correct! Please read this:
http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm

How can I find out my screen refresh rates?

Maybe the OSD of your monitor has a status line where it shows the refresh rate.

And how can I improve it?

"Refreshforce" or "Refreshlock":
http://www.pagehosting.co.uk/rl/

Marhkimov
12-13-05, 02:11 AM
Gizzmoe, thanks for the info.

Marhkimov
12-13-05, 02:30 AM
I checked and found out that my monitor has a max of 75hz, but I had been playing on 60hz all of this time... :damn:

Ok, so I tried changing it to 75, but it looks very blurry. Is this how it should really look? Or do my eyes need to adjust?

And I haven't even tried playing a game yet. Things are already looking blurry from my desktop. But I'm guessing that this blur is supposed to help videogames?

Gizzmoe
12-13-05, 02:36 AM
Blurry at 75hz? :hmm: Was that at 1024x786? What is the brand and model type?

Marhkimov
12-13-05, 02:43 AM
Yep, blurry at 75hz

Yep, 1024x768

Dell E152FP

Do you know what's wrong?

Marhkimov
12-13-05, 02:46 AM
LOL... I am a dummy... :doh:

I was turning my computer screen over to check for the model number and my finger slipped over the auto adjust button...

And guess what???

My screen cleared up... WOW!!! It's sooo clear!!!!!

Yeah, I'm soo smart... :roll:

Gizzmoe
12-13-05, 02:49 AM
:up:

Marhkimov
12-13-05, 02:50 AM
nvm

Marhkimov
12-13-05, 02:55 AM
So in theory, going from 60hz to 75hz means that I will now gain 25% more fps than previously? Is this a correct assumption?

Gizzmoe
12-13-05, 03:04 AM
Oh, you edited your post? umm...

I did when I saw that you solved the problem. 60hz is good enough for your TFT, it still is flicker-free. 60hz on a CRT looks awful.

So in theory, going from 60hz to 75hz means that I will now gain 25% more fps than previously? Is a correct assumption?

Basically yes. When the FPS meter showed 120fps you never saw more than 60 because of the 60hz refresh rate. You probably will notice the 15fps difference in fast-moving games like shooters, but not really in SH3.

Marhkimov
12-13-05, 03:12 AM
That's true, the upgrade is minimal... But I do notice that the wires on my u-boat are drawn in more consistently now, meaning less of that pixelated look.

Thanks Gizzmoe.

Maybe for Christmas I should ask Santa for a 160hz monitor.. :hmm:

Gizzmoe
12-13-05, 03:58 AM
Maybe for Christmas I should ask Santa for a 160hz monitor.. :hmm:

You better ask Santa for a system that can deliver a constant 75fps even with the latest games and high graphics settings... ;) Even my "lower high-end" system can´t do that. :cry: I have a CRT that can do 1152x864@120hz, but what is it good for when I can´t even reach that 120fps...

Marhkimov
12-13-05, 04:08 AM
Well, currently I only play SH3, and before that it was IL2FB, and before that it was CFS2... I'd call myself less of a gamer and more of a flightsim/subsim junkie.

So as long as SH3 can hit 120fps, I might want to capitalize with a better monitor...

Gizzmoe
12-13-05, 04:19 AM
So as long as SH3 can hit 120fps, I might want to capitalize with a better monitor...

If you really think that seeing 120fps is important then buy a CRT with at least 110khz horizontal frequency. TFT´s can´t do that.

I play most of my games at 1280x960@100 or 1400x1050@85, it´s a 21" CRT with 110khz.