PDA

View Full Version : Which U-Boot do you use?

Camaero
12-10-05, 01:57 AM
Just curious which one everyone enjoys sailing in the best? I myself am very new to the game and have only sailed in the VIIB so far. She is a fine ship but then again I have nothing to compare it to!

So which model do you use and why? :arrgh!:

TteFAboB
12-10-05, 03:57 AM
Try the IX class, they are big, fat, slow to dive, slow to turn, carry way too many men and ammunition, but are delicious!

If the VII is a Fox or a fine Rapier the IX is a Rhino or a clumsy big sabre.

Not that it matters though, since all DD's have Elephant guns. :rotfl:

Marhkimov
12-10-05, 04:04 AM
VIIB, only because the net cutter rocks!!! I even made it my sig! :rock:

Krupp
12-10-05, 04:06 AM
Type VIIB ---> C as soon as it becomes available. It has pretty good torpedo capacity, dives fast enough (hopefully :lol: ), has a good general maneuverability. Patrol endurance for 8 weeks is more than enough. It looks good.

CptGrayWolf
12-10-05, 12:25 PM
Type 7c of course! :rock: ( with modded gray skin, danke FUBARS )

CCIP
12-10-05, 12:34 PM
I'm a IX skipper at heart (IXB/C primarily) :)

davidaspy
12-10-05, 12:42 PM
Im an XI man but in this campaign im trying to stick to the VII's

Godalmighty83
12-10-05, 01:17 PM
its a shame that there is such a limited selection in SH3 i could have sworn that germany had more uboat types.

capturing over nations subs and using them in your fleet isnt unknown after all, the brits finished WW2 with a type 7 in the fleet.

Kalach
12-10-05, 04:55 PM
My favourite is the IID, it's a great little sub and it looks good too :)

I played my first few careers in a VIIb/c so they still remain a second favourite. Especially when I want to experience different tactics, eg, the deck guns and snorkels.

Takeda Shingen
12-10-05, 05:35 PM
I usually start in a IIA, then move to VIIB as soon as possible. I am never in a big hurry to move from there, so I transfer to Bergen, move to the VIIC/41 and, if lucky enough to survive so long, wait for the XXI.

Spaxspore
12-10-05, 07:13 PM
When i first got the game all i would use was the type IX, mainly for its usage torp hold, and overall indirence.

I then switched to a type 7c, overall good boat.

Now i started a new campiagn and tryin out a 39-45 campagin with type II.

Type II benefits, on urber fast dive, small size hard to spot/hit.

And its just dead sexy :) :stare:

gdogghenrikson
12-10-05, 07:20 PM
My favourite is the IID, it's a great little sub and it looks good too :)

I played my first few careers in a VIIb/c so they still remain a second favourite. Especially when I want to experience different tactics, eg, the deck guns and snorkels.

I agree with you

gdogghenrikson
12-10-05, 07:21 PM
Type II benefits, on urber fast dive, small size hard to spot/hit.

And its just dead sexy
:rotfl:

kiwi_2005
12-10-05, 08:03 PM
VIIC maxed out with everything.
IXD-2 maxed out with everything.
RUSSIAN Kilo improved SS diesel class max out with......

PatAWilson
12-12-05, 11:59 AM
I am in 1941 right now and I'm still in a VIIB. I see no advantage to moving to a VIIC or a VIIC/41. Are there just little extras available in the C series that are not available in the B?

When the VIIC/42 becomes available that seems like a nice upgrade - two extra torpedoes and much better max depth.

Etienne
12-12-05, 12:16 PM
If you look at the stats, the VIIC is kind of a downgrade from the VIIB... Until the C/42.

I'm personally saving up for an IXB :)

H2OsKT
12-12-05, 06:57 PM
I was going to begin a new discussion on this topic tonight. I always like starting a career at the beginning. Therefore, I am starting in 1939. At first, I could not wait to get a bigger boat and off the IIa with it's limitted range. I upgraded to Rub 1.45 and enjoyed launching my carreer in the 2nd Flotilla with the VIIb. So far, I have had five seperate carreers.

I am starting to think that the IIa is a better boat to start off with now because your tours at sea are short and sweet. If handled properly, you may upgrade your crew far quicker on the IIa. Most importantly, I find myself going to sea for one to two weeks and having an opportunity to "specialize," another crewman. That means in two months, I can have two to three tours complete and add a valuable sonar man, engine man and gunner or another torpedo guy to my crew. When you start with the bigger VII boats, your time at sea is drawn out by having to travel further distances for missions and finding targets to unload all your munitions into. Granted, you get more tonage at first, have the handy deck gun to amuse yourself with and what not, but, after two months, you can upgrade one guy rather than two or three. I just finished my second patrol last night after a month in the water with mostly stormy weather. I sunk twelve ships for fourty some odd thousand tons. It was a rather successful tour even with my fustration with the weather. Unfortunately, I am about to go into 1940 with only two additional "specialized" guys on the bigger boat.

What are your thoughts on this matter? As I said, I think when I have to start another career, I am going to go back to the 1st Flotilla so I am able to upgrade my crew quickly. :hmm:

H2OsKT
12-12-05, 06:57 PM
I was going to begin a new discussion on this topic tonight. I always like starting a career at the beginning. Therefore, I am starting in 1939. At first, I could not wait to get a bigger boat and off the IIa with it's limitted range. I upgraded to Rub 1.45 and enjoyed launching my carreer in the 2nd Flotilla with the VIIb. So far, I have had five seperate carreers.

I am starting to think that the IIa is a better boat to start off with now because your tours at sea are short and sweet. If handled properly, you may upgrade your crew far quicker on the IIa. Most importantly, I find myself going to sea for one to two weeks and having an opportunity to "specialize," another crewman. That means in two months, I can have two to three tours complete and add a valuable sonar man, engine man and gunner or another torpedo guy to my crew. When you start with the bigger VII boats, your time at sea is drawn out by having to travel further distances for missions and finding targets to unload all your munitions into. Granted, you get more tonage at first, have the handy deck gun to amuse yourself with and what not, but, after two months, you can upgrade one guy rather than two or three. I just finished my second patrol last night after a month in the water with mostly stormy weather. I sunk twelve ships for fourty some odd thousand tons. It was a rather successful tour even with my fustration with the weather. Unfortunately, I am about to go into 1940 with only two additional "specialized" guys on the bigger boat.

What are your thoughts on this matter? As I said, I think when I have to start another career, I am going to go back to the 1st Flotilla so I am able to upgrade my crew quickly. :hmm:

Kaptan Tommy
12-12-05, 09:41 PM
H2OsKT, you make a good point about the shorter patrols in a II. When I firsr started careers, I always ended up with a VII and got real used to them. Then I started a career and got a II and was just disgusted. No crew, no range, no deck gun, and no torpedos. So now I'm just in love with my VIIb and my experienced crew. They've got medals (as do I...) and promotions. But, you make a good point. A II lets you back to port in much shorter time and with the "reknown" you earn you can upgrade quicker.

But, I just can't get used to the "skeleton crew" you get with a type II. Everyone is tired all the time... :lol:

Ducimus
12-12-05, 09:47 PM
Yarrr :arrgh!:

I be cruising the far east in my IXD2 U Cruiser. Nothing else has the range or torpedo load that i be needin' :arrgh!:

Camaero
12-12-05, 10:49 PM
I think I am going to switch to the IX class. I like the fact that they carry more torps and have a lovely range! Get me away from the crazy Brits!

Ducimus
12-12-05, 10:59 PM
Problem i have with IX boats is i often get it in my head, "one gaming session, one patrol" Well before i know it im at it for HOURS.

Dont fall into that trap. With an IX boat, a patrol could last you as a week (real life) or longer if you play casually. Im always in a big fired hurry to get back for medals/qualfications/upgrades. Not a healthy habit :88)

Camaero
12-12-05, 11:52 PM
Thats very true! I always say "Ok I am just going to finish up this patrol and then get to bed..."

Then before I know it, it's 4 in the morning and I have to be up at 7.

This game has brought me good times though!

zombiewolf
12-13-05, 01:10 AM
Thats very true! I always say "Ok I am just going to finish up this patrol and then get to bed..."

Then before I know it, it's 4 in the morning and I have to be up at 7.

This game has brought me good times though!

same here by the way the II is my favorite short patrols sneak into harbours.and.... it is WAY SEXY :rotfl:

SmokinTep
12-13-05, 07:00 AM
VIIB or VIIC for me.

CV-707
12-13-05, 08:48 AM
Type IId for me! Absolutely! If you want to know the plus and minus of it check this out!

http://www.subsim.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=45842&start=25

Spaxspore
12-13-05, 12:42 PM
Problem i have with IX boats is i often get it in my head, "one gaming session, one patrol" Well before i know it im at it for HOURS.

Dont fall into that trap. With an IX boat, a patrol could last you as a week (real life) or longer if you play casually. Im always in a big fired hurry to get back for medals/qualfications/upgrades. Not a healthy habit :88)

Yea i know... I used a IXB U-110 for 17patrols out of my current 51 and out of all the boats ive used... these suckers eat up your life :)

Marhkimov
12-13-05, 01:25 PM
^^^ That's exactly the same reason why I no longer like the Type IX. It's so very difficult to finish a patrol in one sitting, let alone a few days... You could be stuck in the same mission for weeks of realtime play... I say too many torps! I'm better off with a Type VII or II.

CV-707
12-13-05, 02:02 PM
Roger that! Even if missions get a LOT longer you must agree to that the Type IX is quite good though!

~S~

Marhkimov
12-13-05, 03:00 PM
Agreed, Type IX is great... However I just don't like being in the same mission forever... I need breaks, like a real u-boat captain.

Some downtime at the lounge. ;)

CV-707
12-13-05, 03:11 PM
That's understandable!

:88) :88) :88)

Camaero
12-13-05, 03:29 PM
I am starting to wonder if the VII's are the perfect balance between the others? They aren't too big or too small... They maneuver ok and carry enough torps for me to do some damage. I haven't gotten to later in the war yet, so I don't have too much experience with getting jumped by all those bombers everyone talks about! I would imagine that, as you progress in the war, the smaller the better? It just seems like the II's are a little too dinky. I feel a little cramped in that thing! lol.

Crash Dive
12-13-05, 04:05 PM
VIIB for me I think it has the best bridge view. I don't like how close the WO is in the VIIC and the walls look low on the type IX.
:|\

CV-707
12-14-05, 01:07 AM
VIIB for me, occasionally Type II when I want to have a bit of a challenge!

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: