PDA

View Full Version : Parking Brakes: How often do you use them?

Torpedo Fodder
12-07-05, 02:10 PM
Now that we've had the thread about what cars Subsimmers drive, there's one question I've been curious of: How often do you use your parking brake? I drive an automatic, so technically I don't need to use it, however the owner's manual for my van reccomends the parking brake to be used even on relativly flat surfaces, and given I am aware that the only thing that prevents the car from rolling when the vehicle is in park without the parking brake set is nothing more than a little piece of metal that locks the transmission's output shaft to the casing, and since that parking pawl can break (and even if it doesn't you're still subjecting the drive train to constant stress when the vehicle is parked, especially on a hill) I naturally feel uncomfortable leaving the parking pawl as the only thing holding the vehicle from rolling, especially since my ride has a curb weight of nearly 4,000lbs. Therefore, I set the parking brake every time I shift into park. It's a really simple thing to do, so I really see no reason not to do it.

So what about everyone else?

Godalmighty83
12-07-05, 03:37 PM
i drive a manual, using the handbrake is a bit more important.

Kapitan
12-07-05, 04:49 PM
i drive manual and i also live on a hill so hand brake well kinda need it

jumpy
12-07-05, 05:07 PM
manual with the double-de-clutch down through the gears for the win!!!
when it snows is when I use the handbreak the most- for making those tight turns you understand lol

Kapitan
12-07-05, 05:20 PM
manual is less expencive to repair the gear box than an automatic plus with a manual car licence you can drive both manual or automatic where if you passed in automatic you can only drive auto matic and will have to re take your entire test to drive manual.

and then theres semi automatic normaly found on busses only people with PCV or PSV can drive these viachles

then you got the LGV and HGV with LGV you can drive up to 17 tonne lorry and with HGV you can drive anything that comes under heavy goods.

the guy who pulls the nasa space shuttle to launch has a HGV but american version.

oh and one thing did you know NASA only employs VOLVO lorrys to pull thier most heavy exuipment because american frieghtliner and mack trucks arnt powerful enough.

VOLVO FH16 is the most powerfullest road going truck in the world 16.6 litre V12 with twin supercharges and turbos giving 610 horse power and with out limiter can make 112mph (not with trailer)
the truck is powerful enough to pull almost 320 tonnes and the bigger plant version can carry more also its swedish

Camaero
12-07-05, 10:01 PM
In every auto I have owned, the parking brake has not worked. Even in my 87 Camaro. Never felt the need to tighten it up either.

Type941
12-08-05, 04:25 AM
I drive a manual stick: Of course I use the parkng brake :up:

Kiwi Zero Six
12-08-05, 07:06 AM
You forgot the option:

"At speed in large sealed areas"

Purely as skills checking, of course.

jumpy
12-08-05, 07:32 AM
In every auto I have owned, the parking brake has not worked. Even in my 87 Camaro. Never felt the need to tighten it up either.

:o don't you guys have the equivalent of an MOT test to ensure vehicle safety? I remember one of my cars faild such a test because the travel on the handbreak leaver was too high...

Kapitan
12-08-05, 08:06 AM
it shouldnt have failed on that count jumpy you can have it as high as you wish but it must work if it doesnt then they will advise you to get it checkd tightend but they will still fail the car.

Konovalov
12-08-05, 08:29 AM
I drive a manual but manual or no manual I always use the handbreak when the vehicle is parked or stationary for any length of time.

tycho102
12-08-05, 09:08 AM
I'm used to driving manuals, and in a manual, 100%. I always use the parking brake without thinking about it. It's just a habit, and if I get into an unfamiliar car, I usually freak and look around frantically whenever I stop because "where the hell's the brake!?"

When I drive an automatic, it's very rare that I set the brake. It's also very rare that I don't drive with two feet (one on gas, other on brake).

The Avon Lady
12-08-05, 10:10 AM
Please don't forget to start a poll about who keeps their headlights on all year long, day or night. :doh:

Torpedo Fodder
12-08-05, 10:20 AM
:o don't you guys have the equivalent of an MOT test to ensure vehicle safety? I remember one of my cars faild such a test because the travel on the handbreak leaver was too high...

Unfortunately, the legal standards for vehicles and drivers are much laxer in North American than they are in Europe. In the US and Canada, the only periodic test a personal vehicle is required to undergo to have it's plates renewed is an emissions test. While there are still laws concerning what working condition you keep your vehicle in, you aren't going to get caught for those unless a cop pulls you over for something else, and they obviously won't pull you over specifically for that unless the defect is externally obvious (i.e., signal lamp not working).

Getting a licence is also much easier over here than in Eurpoe.

Raus
12-10-05, 10:55 PM
should always use your parking brake, that way it does not sieze up and become useless.