PDA

View Full Version : SH2 "initialization error" and black screen? Help!

steve_G2
12-05-05, 03:57 PM
Hi there,

Can anyone please help me? I've just installed Silent Hunter 2 on an XP computer, but when I try and run the game I just get a black screen and an 'initialization error" message.

I can't work out why I'm getting this. I've previously had the game installed on the same computer, and it ran with no problems whatsoever.

Any help is greatfully appreciated, thanks!

Crash Dive
12-05-05, 06:21 PM
Did you install the patch?

steve_G2
12-05-05, 07:56 PM
The patch?

Crash Dive
12-07-05, 01:51 PM
Yes the SH 1.1 patch, it won't run on XP otherwise

steve_G2
12-08-05, 09:03 PM
Yep, I installed that, but no joy. I also emailed Ubisoft and they told me the game wouldn't run on XP. :-?

Panama Red
12-08-05, 09:38 PM
Did you try changing the "compatability" to W98/ME ??? This is how I got SH2 to run on my XP machine.

steve_G2
12-11-05, 09:32 PM
Tried that too, but no luck, seems I'm not going to be able to get it working.

Thanks anyway for all the suggestions.

DeepSixNiner
12-13-05, 02:24 PM
Hey, Steve.

Don't give up, UbiSoft is incorrect. Although SHII is supposedly "not compatable" with XP, it has always worked fine on my system.

Perhaps you have graphic issues. When you do a fresh install of SHII, make sure you install the QuickTime program. The install will tell you this is necessary, and it is. Once the game is completely installed, run it once and see if it works without the patch. If you get the screen blanker again, install the patch and the PM1.03 mod, and try the sim again.

Good luck, hope it helps.

Cheers.

steve_G2
12-17-05, 12:46 AM
Thanks for all the advice. Finally got it working!

I decided to have one final try, so re-installed the game and chose to install its version of Direct X (couldn't install the Quicktime as I already have it). I then changed the hardware configuration to Wav sound (8) and the graphics to 32bit True. then set the game for Win98/ME on the XP compatability mode.

Thanks again.