PDA

View Full Version : Whale Ahoy!!

nelson
12-01-05, 07:27 PM
Hi, is it possible to mod an invisible or submerged ship/sub and use recorded whale sounds as the engine sound?. It would sound spectacular on the Hydrophones, mabe an AI sub or seldom used AI freighter or such like?

Marhkimov
12-01-05, 07:32 PM
Hey, that's kind of a cool idea! :up:

Trav_R
12-01-05, 11:01 PM
Get modding then, you modder you! :up:

Marhkimov
12-01-05, 11:28 PM
Get modding then, you modder you! :up:

I would, but I'm on a secret modding mission... to mod the unknown... :D

Trav_R
12-02-05, 05:01 AM
You're modding where no man has modded before eh :hmm: Do you even play this game anymore?

nelson
12-02-05, 10:25 AM
You're modding where no man has modded before eh :hmm: Do you even play this game anymore?

Leave him be, we need people like him, he's my hero :yep:

I have some neat whale sounds if interested. You don't need to actually "see" any whales, just pick up what you think is a merchant contact as normal but when you get close and can't see anything you check the hydro and discover it's an organic contact, cool eh? Bit of a distraction on a long boring patrol if nothing else.
Also, you probably wouldn't come across the sound contact very often but then would you in real life? Be nice when it does though :) Maybe set the AI "whale" to patrol the Atlantic in a large circular pattern?
What say you? :rock:

Marhkimov
12-02-05, 12:16 PM

LOL. haha :rotfl:

I don't get as much playing time as you guys (I'm jealous) but that doesn't mean that I don't look around for some fun. Sometimes when I finish testing my mods in the Naval Academy, I sink all of my testing ships just for the heck of it. Gotta keep my skills sharp, somehow... :D

I have some neat whale sounds if interested. You don't need to actually "see" any whales, just pick up what you think is a merchant contact as normal but when you get close and can't see anything you check the hydro and discover it's an organic contact, cool eh? Bit of a distraction on a long boring patrol if nothing else.
Also, you probably wouldn't come across the sound contact very often but then would you in real life? Be nice when it does though :) Maybe set the AI "whale" to patrol the Atlantic in a large circular pattern?
What say you? :rock:

I'm not sure if it is possible to add a new sound to a merchant, although I could be wrong... I'm not really a sound or modelling expert.

nelson
12-02-05, 02:41 PM
Thanks anyway Marhkimov :up:

nelson
12-02-05, 07:52 PM
Marhkimov, I did it!! I took all the destroyer_hyd sound files away, vapor and destroyer, and also propeller_5_hyd, then renamed my whale recording (.wav) to destroyer_hyd put that in the sound folder and hey presto a virtual whale.
The origional hyd sounds are 0nly 4 secs long and looped. My .wav file is 16 minutes, so it proves any .wav sound file should work.
I tried it on a single mission, Narvik, I was submerged at periscope depth and when I pressed F12 and "flew" over to the destroyers, all sounds were normal, even when I dipped under to look at the screws. When I went to the hydrophone I turned the dial towards the destroyers and heard..........the beautiful sound of humpbacks, there were at least three destroyers in the mission guarding a battleship. The battleship sound was normal on the hydrophone, surrounded by three whales.
Imagine if this could be implimented to work with something else? such as a torpedo? somehow slowed down to 5mph, unarmed, able to change depths automatically and with the torp sound changed to a whale. A torp or several together (schools) or different schools even at different times/routes that goes on round a set course forever during the game so there is some chance in some mission/patrol that you could come across it just as in real life? It'll be constantly on the move so it'll come onto and move off the hydrophone as it moves. Maybe have it so the s"sound contact" can be reported so you can investigate? MAybe skin the torps so they at least look a bit like whales from a distance should you want to go 'look' at them. The dolphins in HT 1.46 could be enlarged and the dorsal removed, fins elongated. This could maybe be implemented into HT 1.46 for the dolphins too?

Are these the ravings of a madman or have I got something?
Try it and see for yourselves. :up:

JohnnyPotPie
12-03-05, 04:28 PM
"its a whale beaumount, a whale, a marine mammal who knows a hell of a lot more about sonar than you!"