PDA

View Full Version : Sinking time and number of torps

SubChief
11-30-05, 01:21 PM
Usually when i kill a ship it breaks in half and sinks within seconds, or rolls over and is gone within half a minute. The general sinking time isnt normal, i heard this gets better when turning off realistic sinkings...is this true?

I nailed a C2 with just one torp hitting ship center, but the next C2 didnt sink when hitting the same area, had to put two torps into her. What am i doing wrong, or why the differance?

PatAWilson
11-30-05, 02:28 PM
lol - you sank a C2 with two torps and you're wondering what you did wrong? I'm wondering what you did right :).

Being serious, is usually takes me 3 to bring down a large merchant.

Etienne
11-30-05, 02:33 PM
If you use the vulnerability spots in the ID book (With the weapon officer, it's a lot easier) and go for the fuel, you can go for a one torp kill on a C3. Routinely. You just need short range, a 90 AOB and 0 gyro angle.

Break'em in two every times.

Spaxspore
11-30-05, 03:24 PM
lol - you sank a C2 with two torps and you're wondering what you did wrong? I'm wondering what you did right :).

Being serious, is usually takes me 3 to bring down a large merchant.

Same here, unless i get lucky by hittin a fuel dump/ammo

I always free i spread of 2 torps, wait after the impact to confirm its still afloat then i break its back with one more

Trav_R
11-30-05, 04:19 PM
As long as it's decent weather and I have plenty of time to set up the shot, I always go impact pistol, as deep as I can set it and still hit the engine room/fuel bunkers. Almost always takes down a C3 in one shot. C2's, about 60% of the time.

H2OsKT
11-30-05, 04:27 PM
I have found that C-2 and T-2 merchant ships are by far the hardest to take down. I encountered two Troop Transports last night and they are now in the C-2/T-2 catagory. For some reason, those ships take three torps where as the larger C-3 and T-3 go down with one! Perhaps I am not a very good captain, but this has been my experience. To save valuable torps, I try to nutralize the C-2/T-2 ships I come across with one torp and then finish them off with a bunch of close range (200M) waterline shots with the deck gun. I go for the close range on the deck gun for accuracy purposes.

SubChief
12-01-05, 03:14 PM
Yep, its easier to kill a C3 with just one torp than a C2 :hmm:

I just got a C3, after the torpedo impact there was another huge explosion which broke its back. Probably loaded with gunpowder or something ;)

But you keep talking about aiming at fuel bunkers. I dont follow that idea because this must be diesel fuel or even heavier. This fuel can cause a major fire of course, but it doesnt explode like gasoline...not much of a point in that, but in SH3 it might help as you say.