PDA

View Full Version : Question based on Sh1

wamphyri
11-20-05, 12:07 AM
Hey all,

when I used to play Sh1 I use to run all the time with the periscope up since you could spot ships just a little further that way. It makes some sense, having your spotting crew a few more feet above the deck would allow them to spot ships earlier. Tho in SH1 it acted like borg spotting .. if it was in range with the scope up .. it was spoted. Is this modeled in any way in sh3?? ie.. am i better off having the scope up at all times ?? or is it a waste of time?

Wamphyri

donut
11-20-05, 12:25 AM
It dosen't seem to,but it could be modded most everything else has or is decks awash mod.accomplishes some improvement,but not in a squall.JMHO :ping:

kiwi_2005
11-20-05, 07:58 AM
I think uboat commanders did not allow this in case of the glare of the scope been spotted by a elite lookout on a destroyer.

don1reed
11-21-05, 11:30 AM
The UBOAT COMMANDERS HANDBOOK, Sec I, B., 24.), page 25. If, for urgent reason, such as overhauling, it should become imperatively necessary to raise the periscope by day when the submarine is on the surface, the additional height of the raised periscope can be used in suitable weather to send up a look-out with binoculars, provided that surprise attacks by hostile airplanes are not to be anticipated...

Further on it says if the weather and sea are calm, advantage could be made by using the scope for an all-round view; but, it lists the caveat that due to it's poor magnification and vibrations of the boat, that it seldom serves a useful purpose.

Cheers,