PDA

View Full Version : Catalyst 5.11 Drivers - finally a nice looking sun :)

panthercules
11-15-05, 10:36 PM
Just D/L'ed and tried out the new Cat 5.11 drivers for my X800XL last night.

I had an initial problem with a CTD leaving base for my new patrol, which I believe was caused by my leaving the ATI control panel system tray application running. When I turned that off before loading up the game again, I got to play for a pretty long time (until I got to my patrol zone and had to quit for some sleep) without having any more CTDs.

Best of all though, the sun now looks REALLY GOOD for the first time ever. When I first got the game last March, I had a 6800GT and what with all the nVidia graphics bugs/glitches and stuff I never really got a sun glare look I liked. Then a while back I had to build another machine and this time tried an ATI X800XL - I got sun glare, but it was really a bit much - most of the time the sun was freaking HUGE and looked kinda silly. Last night though, it looked perfect - just enough glare effect to be sensible without going overboard, so to speak. :D

I haven't ever really tracked FPS or anything on SH3, so I don't know if this driver makes any difference there, and I haven't seen or sunk anything on this patrol with the new drivers yet, so I can't speak for any other changes these drivers might have made from that perspective, but everything I have seen so far looks really good and the new sun alone is well worth the update :)

Reece
11-15-05, 11:15 PM
If you haven't, I recommend installing Krillers Sun Mod! :yep:
I have trouble with the latest ccc due to the fact that the program now is .NET :-? , the old .exe was much more stable!

panthercules
11-15-05, 11:26 PM
If you haven't, I recommend installing Krillers Sun Mod! :yep:

What does this mod do? Now that it's working with these new drivers, the last thing I'll probably do is mess with it with a mod, but it might be nice to know about in case some other problem develops about these drivers and I have to drop back to the old ones.

Reece
11-15-05, 11:51 PM
It's much smaller as the old one is unralistically too big! Generally looks better too :up:
http://www.subsim.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=44990
Cheers

panthercules
11-16-05, 01:28 AM
It's much smaller as the old one is unralistically too big! Generally looks better too :up:
http://www.subsim.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=44990
Cheers

Cool - yeah - I wish I had known about this one before - now though with the new 5.11 drivers my sun looks pretty much the same as the smaller one in the mod screenshots, so I guess I'll go without it for now :sunny:

Just finished another session with the new drivers - solid and smooth - July 1940 - never got dark on my passage around north of Scotland - not much traffic out there, but finally found and sank a lone C3 NW of Ireland, and the explosions looked awesome - also (and I'm sure this has nothing to do with the drivers) this patrol has been the best so far in terms of weather - it has been changing a lot, raining off and on, wind speeds and directions and visibility changing too - dead calm to full storm and back again with various stages in between, and all the times except for 1 the rain was actually blowing in from the direction my weather report said the wind was blowing from :D - and RUB 1.45 and SH3 Commander seem to be working great - man I love this game when it all works and comes together like it has so far on this patrol :rock:

Also, and I don't know if this was the new drivers or something that RUB or SH3 Commander did, but that stupid funky-looking spot straight above my sub is gone and it actually looks fine up there now, at least in the 2 or 3 cloud/sky variants I had when I looked up there with tonight - that's totally awesome, 'cause I just had to quit looking for planes a while back so that I wouldn't see that stupid spot by accident and lose all the immersion. Way to go somebody :up:

Good luck and good hunting!

Gizzmoe
11-16-05, 02:09 AM
Also, and I don't know if this was the new drivers or something that RUB or SH3 Commander did, but that stupid funky-looking spot straight above my sub is gone

It´s Seeadler´s cloud fix, it comes with RUb and IUb.

panthercules
11-16-05, 10:09 AM
Also, and I don't know if this was the new drivers or something that RUB or SH3 Commander did, but that stupid funky-looking spot straight above my sub is gone

It´s Seeadler´s cloud fix, it comes with RUb and IUb.

Awesome - Seeadler, you are my newest hero :up: