PDA

View Full Version : Tired of islamic, jewish, and nazi threads?

bradclark1
11-14-05, 07:56 PM
Tired of islamic, jewish, and nazi threads?
Give it a break. If you can't get your point across in five threads and 145 replies it's probable that you aren't going to change anybodies mind.
Think up something else to argue about.

CCIP
11-14-05, 07:59 PM
There's the top reason I haven't visited this part of the forum very often in the last few months :roll:

kiwi_2005
11-14-05, 08:40 PM
True. There needs to be a new, Religeon thread only. So us mages, wizards and clerics can yabba on from dusk till dawn :sunny:

DAB
11-14-05, 08:40 PM
Tired of islamic, jewish, and nazi threads?
Give it a break. If you can't get your point across in five threads and 145 replies it's probable that you aren't going to change anybodies mind.
Think up something else to argue about.

Not to mention the content of most of those threads tends to be insulting to at least 25% of the board members.

Rockstar
11-14-05, 09:16 PM
Hi there nice to see ya, bumble bee tuna.

Abraham
11-14-05, 10:11 PM
I voted: No.

It's a General Topic Forum and all topics mentioned are general. Everybody is free to start a topic. Fine with me and difficult to change that.

A religious forum won't work, where to put "London bombings by Muslim extremists", "Clash of Civilisations", "the Holocaust" or "Salman Rushdie"? On the religious thread? Difficult (and a lot of) work for moderators.

Of course everybody's sometimes tired of posting and reading postings. The solution: don't read for a couple of days.

If it is a problem that the content of religious threads is insulting for at least 25%, then moving them to a different box wouldn't change much. Censorship would, but that we don't like. Or a little bit of personal respect for people with a different opinion. And some hard skin on your own soul...

The fact that there are so many threads about Islam and religion shows a growing interest that is a reflexion of what can be seen in society at large.

If a thread gets 145 responses it is obviously a succesful thread. If it gets 5 responses, it usually is not.

Threads about "philosophical, religious and political" subjects are not nesessarily meant to convince others, but more to communicate and learn from each other. That's at least what I try to do. Through this forum I've learned a lot and I was often challenged to read even more before I could react on a posting.

Again: we don't have to read what we don't want to read and we don't have to post if we don't want to post.

Just my opinion...

gdogghenrikson
11-14-05, 11:04 PM
Not to mention the content of most of those threads tends to be insulting to at least 25% of the board members.

I agree

TLAM Strike
11-14-05, 11:07 PM
YES!! Make it stop. :damn:

The Avon Lady
11-15-05, 12:44 AM
Yes. :yep:

Konovalov
11-15-05, 02:02 AM
I am tired of threads that have nothing to do with religion and in particular my faith but somehow Islam is "worked" into the thread. For example someone posts a topic on subsims and the kind of people who play them asking insulting things like "do muslims like Nazi-stories?" What the f*ck has that got to do with subsims? Another example was I announced my getting married and visa approval and get replies like, "watch out London, Konovalov's a terrorist" blah blah blah. It is getting ridiculous. I'm all for intelligent dicussion including on religion but it has gone at times way past analaysis and critical thinking. That's my 2 cents. Hence I voted yes.

Sixpack
11-15-05, 03:08 AM
I voted: NO.

If people want to discuss other stuff, that's fine. Simply dont reply to a thread you dont like or start a new thread yourself.

retired1212
11-15-05, 03:22 AM
Yep :yep:
and this is the main reason that I am not so active anymore.

Another example was I announced my getting married and visa approval and get replies like, "watch out London, Konovalov's a terrorist" blah blah blah

The person who wrote such thing to you is mentally ill, and lacks thinking capability. Mamas should keep their such kids away from the computer.

Sixpack
11-15-05, 03:40 AM
Another example was I announced my getting married and visa approval and get replies like, "watch out London, Konovalov's a terrorist" blah blah blah

That was never written afaik :roll:

jumpy
11-15-05, 04:32 AM
I say no... always nice to chew the cudd ;) even if it does end up repeating itself.
I wonder how many people who voted 'yes' have still participated in these 'religious threads', tired or not?

The Avon Lady
11-15-05, 04:43 AM
I say no... always nice to chew the cudd ;) even if it does end up repeating itself.
I wonder how many people who voted 'yes' have still participated in these 'religious threads', tired or not?
I voted "YES" about being tired of them. That was the question. I did not mean to say that I wouldn't respond if someone else expresses an opinion I feel is important one way or the other.

What I mean to say is it wouldn't bother me if these subjects didn't come up at all. Look through this forum section and you'll see that I personally have rarely, if ever, started any of these threads myself.

Also, I think we should have a separate poll about Kapitain's spam threads. :smug:

Bellman
11-15-05, 06:31 AM
I voted yes - STOP ! :yep:

Topics can evoke a lot of offensive c**p to some - :oops: :huh: :stare: :nope: :arrgh!: :hulk: :damn:

Skybird
11-15-05, 06:40 AM
I do not vote in this poll. I have participated with my essay and thus cannot say I am against an ongoing discussion ("NO"), on the other hand certain comments and most stupid "jokes" made by some dumbheads yesterday (and the absence of any form of moderation stopping at least the real offensive ones) illustrate that some who pop up in these discussions are not about discussing, but about whatever kind of "Quatsch". Seen that way, these discussions are not needed anymore ("YES")

But the simple fact that these topics started to show up over and over again since some time now tells one thing, maybe: that there is a growing feeling in our western countries (as far as we are representative for them :) ) that this theme in general needs to be adressed and more attention redirected to it, and that the socalled opinion consensus politicians and opinion-leaders are proclaiming maybe does not mirror any kind of representative public opinion at all. Too many people in my social surrounding seem to be unsatisfied with the West's approach on Islam and the growing role Islam is playing in our societies. Seen that way, such discussion in a General Forum are quite indicated again ("NO").

I do not like the lack of any kind of moderation taking care of at least the basics of polite behavior. Some comments in the past and yesterday definetly were unacceptable. Too much laissez-faire is anarchy.

Sixpack
11-15-05, 06:41 AM
Bah, PC-ness all over this thread now. I thought we had come past all that, except a few whom I wont mention by name.

All for nothing, so it seems. You could even say another win for Islam in the West. People get tired of the anti-message, and you know what happens next...tired people give in.......to the wrong party.

Pigfish
11-15-05, 09:02 AM
I voted yes. Waaay too much religion the past couple of months. :yep:

U-552Erich-Topp
11-15-05, 09:38 AM
:) I voted YES.

Hitman
11-15-05, 09:41 AM
Well I voted yes after having participated in various threads, because unlike to Skybird I believe it is human and logic to get tired of an activity after a while, and we don't shall feel compelled to be coherent with previous actions as long as we can give logic reasons to change our mind. :up:

If you can't get your point across in five threads and 145 replies it's probable that you aren't going to change anybodies mind.

That is more or less correct, but aside from some replies which were clearly out of education limits, it is anyway -at least in my opinion- a blessing to have learned that so many different people from many different religions and countries like we are can sit, argue and discuss about such important questions.

No, I have not changed my mind completely in some matters, most here havenĀ“t, but at least I have learned many interesting things about jews, muslims, christians and other religions/ideologies as well as about social and historic questions. And I really feel lucky to have shared these topics with you all and learned from your replies.

Now it is possibly the time for a change, for a stop in these discussions giving our minds time to digest what we have readed and improve our knowledge with it.

I will stop replying in those topics unless my opinion is demanded by someone, and will dedicate some time to read and learn more and process many ifo I have received from you. :up:

Thanks everyone :up:

Abraham
11-15-05, 09:45 AM
Wise words, Hitman.
Let's all take a break...

Terrax
11-15-05, 09:58 AM
After reading most of the threads, it seems to me that most of the posters are confortable in their beliefs, and no one is going to change that. There will be a post with some statements and a link to back that statement up. Then a counterpost with a link to dispute that statement. There are some very educated members here as far a religion, and we could learn a lot from them as far as different religions are concerned. But it doesn't sound to me like there's a lot of learning going on. It's just religion bashing and blaming religions other than your own for past and current events.

But this is the General Topics forum, if the mods allow it, people can post away. I've just posted my 1st response to a religious post, but I think I'm going to skip the religious topics from now on. It's mostly just people bitching at each other.

The Avon Lady
11-15-05, 10:22 AM
After reading most of the threads, it seems to me that most of the posters are confortable in their beliefs, and no one is going to change that. There will be a post with some statements and a link to back that statement up. Then a counterpost with a link to dispute that statement. There are some very educated members here as far a religion, and we could learn a lot from them as far as different religions are concerned. But it doesn't sound to me like there's a lot of learning going on. It's just religion bashing and blaming religions other than your own for past and current events.

But this is the General Topics forum, if the mods allow it, people can post away. I've just posted my 1st response to a religious post, but I think I'm going to skip the religious topics from now on. It's mostly just people bitching at each other.
I disagree. It seems that a lot of information has been brought up and arguements presented that others were unaware of beforehand.

Abraham
11-15-05, 11:34 AM

I disagree. It seems that a lot of information has been brought up and arguements presented that others were unaware of beforehand.
I agree, but there has been a lot of bitching at each other as well...

Type941
11-15-05, 12:37 PM
YESSSSSSSSSS

Hitman
11-15-05, 12:43 PM
The Avon Lady wrote

Indeed :-j ;)

The Avon Lady wrote (In another topic about religions, etc.)

Man: Good morning, I'd like to have an argument, please.

Receptionist: Certainly, sir. Have you been here before?

Man: No, this is my first time.

Receptionist: I see, well we'll see who's free at the moment.

Mr. Bakely's free, but he's a little bit concilliatory. No. Try Mr. Barnhart, room 12.

Man: Thank you.

He enters room 12.

Angry man: WHADDAYOU WANT?

Man: Well, Well, I was told outside that...

Angry man: DON'T GIVE ME THAT, YOU SNOTTY-FACED HEAP OF PARROT DROPPINGS!

Man: What?

A: SHUT YOUR FESTERING GOB, YOU TIT! YOUR TYPE MAKES ME PUKE!

YOU VACUOUS STUFFY-NOSED MALODOROUS PERVERT!!!

M: Yes, but I came here for an argument!!

A: OH! Oh! I'm sorry! This is abuse!

M: Oh! Oh I see!

A: Aha! No, you want room 12A, next door.

M: Oh...Sorry...

A: Not at all!

A: (under his breath) stupid git.

The man goes into room 12A. Another man is sitting behind a desk.

Man: Is this the right room for an argument?

Other Man:(pause) I've told you once.

Man: No you haven't!

Other Man: Yes I have.

M: When?

O: Just now.

M: No you didn't!

O: Yes I did!

M: You didn't!

O: I did!

O: I'm telling you, I did!

O: (breaking into the developing argument) Oh I'm sorry, is this a five minute argument, or the full half hour?

M: Ah! (taking out his wallet and paying) Just the five minutes.

O: Just the five minutes. Thank you.

Anyway, I did.

M: You most certainly did not!

O: Now let's get one thing perfectly clear: I most definitely told you!

M: Oh no you didn't!

O: Oh yes I did!

O: Oh yes I did! > very fast

M: No you DIDN'T!

M: Oh look, this isn't an argument!

(pause)

O: Yes it is!

M: No it isn't!

(pause)

M: It's just contradiction!

O: No it isn't!

M: It IS!

O: It is NOT!

M: You just contradicted me!

O: No I didn't!

M: You DID!

O: No no no!

M: You did just then!

O: Nonsense!

M: (exasperated) Oh, this is futile!!

(pause)

M: Yes it is!

(pause)

I came here for a good argument!

O: AH, no you didn't, you came here for an *argument*!

M: An argument isn't just contradiction.

O: Well! it CAN be!

M: No it can't!

An argument is a connected series of statement intended to establish a proposition.

M: Yes it is! 'tisn't just contradiction.

O: Look, if I *argue* with you, I must take up a contrary position!

M: Yes but it isn't just saying "no it isn't".

M: No it ISN'T! Argument is an intellectual process.

Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says.

O: It is NOT!

M: It is!

O: Not at all!

M: It is!

>DING!< The Arguer hits a bell on his desk and stops.

O: Thank you, that's it.

M: (stunned) What?

O: That's it. Good morning.

M: But I was just getting interested!

O: I'm sorry, the five minutes is up.

M: That was never five minutes!!

O: I'm afraid it was.

M: (leading on) No it wasn't.....

(pause)

O: (dirty look) I'm sorry, I'm not allowed to argue any more.

M: WHAT??

O: If you want me to go on arguing, you'll have to pay for another five minutes.

M: But that was never five minutes just now!

(pause... the Other Man raises his eyebrows)

Oh Come on!

Oh this is...

This is ridiculous!

O: I told you...

I told you, I'm not allowed to argue unless you PAY!

M: Oh all right. (takes out his wallet and pays again.)

There you are.

O: Thank you.

M: (clears throat) Well...

O: Well WHAT?

M: That was never five minutes just now.

O: I told you, I'm not allowed to argue unless you've paid!

M: Well I just paid!

O: No you didn't!

M: I DID!!!

O: YOU didn't!

M: (unable to talk straight he's so mad) I don't want to argue about it!

O: Well I'm very sorry but you didn't pay!

M: Ah HAH!! Well if I didn't pay, why are you arguing???

Ah HAAAAAAHHH! Gotcha!

O: (pause) No you haven't!

M: Yes I have!

If you're arguing, I must have paid.

O: Not necessarily.

I *could* be arguing in my spare time.

Takeda Shingen
11-15-05, 05:21 PM
I voted yes, not that the world is of dire need to know. Yes, you are free to discuss the true nature of God to your heart's content, just as I am free to be sick and tired of it.

Kapitan_Phillips
01-25-08, 06:30 PM
Who bumped this thread? Why is it up here? The last post is from 2005 :-?

I saw Abrahams posts and my heart turned, until I saw the post date :dead:

Tchocky
01-25-08, 06:33 PM
Who bumped this thread? Why is it up here? The last post is from 2005 :-?
Thought it was just happening to me. They come and go, been about 4 or 5 today.

Skybird
01-25-08, 06:36 PM
If somebody makes a vote, the thread is being sent up in the list again - posting a reply is not necessary for that.

Knipper
01-25-08, 06:37 PM
booooooooooooooooooriiiiiiiiiing

August
01-25-08, 10:58 PM
Given that elite hunter sh3 is the the only username displayed in Abrahams Avon Lady avatar thread I suspect that he's the one who'se been doing the bumping.

Onkel Neal
01-26-08, 02:19 AM
Ok, I manually closed the poll, but yeah, it was true two years ago and it's true today, enough with the nutty topics for a while:doh:

Stealth Hunter
01-26-08, 03:16 AM
Given that elite hunter sh3 is the the only username displayed in Abrahams Avon Lady avatar thread I suspect that he's the one who'se been doing the bumping.

BURN HIM! BURN THE INTOLERANT WITCH!:rotfl:

Takeda Shingen
01-26-08, 05:59 AM
Going nowhere fast. Thread go bye-bye.

The Management