PDA

View Full Version : Question about U-Boat "upgrades"

Nedlam
11-08-05, 04:06 PM
Any of you U-Boat experts know the answer to this question:

In RL if a commander of a U-boat was offer a new boat Type II to a Type VII (for instance). Would his whole crew go with him?

I'm guessing he may be able to ask for certain officers/sailors to transfer with him but for the most part he would get a whole new crew.

Any thought?

silent_otto
11-08-05, 04:33 PM
Well, from the books I read on the matter, they always tell how the crew is the sub's crew, so they should mostly stay there while the kaleun gets transferred...

I think that new crews were assigned to new boats, trained there and then they would get their captains.

Correct me if I'm wrong, this is from what I've read...

kiwi_2005
11-08-05, 10:16 PM
Yeah same as above, captains get transferred crew stays. A good book about certain uboat captains and there crews ive read was called, Hirschfeld: The secret diary of a U boat.

Nedlam
11-09-05, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the replies. I'm trying to do a campaign where the captain is secondary and the crew (and U-Boat are what counts). Captains came and went after at most 16 missions. But the U-Boat and crew (barring transfers, deaths, etc) remained in the fight. It's my way of starting in 1939 and working my way through the war until it's end. I was just curious because I didn't want to go through the entire war in a IIA so when the time comes for the captain to get a new boat I'll probably relieve most of the crew replacing them with green sailors, change the names of others to simulate some experienced crew on the new boat and take a few of the crew (and maybe an officer or two with me) to the new U-Boat.

It's a little over the top I guess. Oh well. It's all about having fun right? :)

U-104
11-09-05, 12:00 PM
It's all about having fun right? :) :yep: