PDA

View Full Version : Submarines : a history by Thomas Parrish

UglyMowgli
11-04-05, 07:45 PM
I buy this book in Toronto this week and it very interresting, 576 pages about the history of the submarines from the begining to the nuclear era.
There is a lot of historical fact i didn't knew (particulary during the WW1).

I am currently reading so I will post more about this book in the next week.

eidted in softcover by Penguin books in 2005.

Grayback
11-07-06, 10:56 AM
I know this is somewhat late, but I was wondering how this book panned out for you. I picked up a copy last summer because I had a gift certificate, and just started reading it this past week. (I'm very seasonal in my reading, and the first hints of winter are always an invitation to read about subs.) I'm a bit skeptical that the entire history of sub-warfare can fit effectively in a single book (Blair took two volumes for one of his efforts) and given how one of the blurbs on the back was from one of the co-authors of "Red Star Rogue" (which I hadn't read before buying this book) I can't say I'm reassured.

UglyMowgli
11-07-06, 12:20 PM
This book is at my point of view to focused on USN submarine history, especiallialy in WW2 (tehy talk a lot about US and germans subs but none on English, french, japenesse or russians ones), but I learn a lot of fact reading it. If you are from usa it worth, for other country try to read national writers :)