PDA

View Full Version : Harpoon 2002 Classic and Harpoon III

sarge33rd
11-04-05, 12:02 AM
I had the original Harpoon way back in the days of the 8088 cpu and 5 1/4" floppies, and I had Harpoon II. Both were good, but I actually preferred the original Harpoon. Question is, if anyone knows...

1) Will Harpoon Classic run on Windows XP Media Center?
2) Is it truly the original Harpoon, but with the bugs largely fixed?
3) Is Harpoon III a better improvement over II, than II was over the original?

If all 3 are yes, then I'll buy both.

Herman
11-04-05, 02:27 AM
1) Will Harpoon Classic run on Windows XP Media Center?

From other folks using HC97 v1.54, no, it will not run on XP. I have no personal experience with this claim. Harpoon Classic 2002, HC Gold, and the latest, HC Commanders Edition, will run on XP with no problem. It certainly runs on mine.

2) Is it truly the original Harpoon, but with the bugs largely fixed?

Harpoon Classic Commanders Edition (the latest iteration) stays true to the original Harpoon Classic model. The keyboard commands, layout, and other stuff are going to be very, very close to what you saw in the original version. :D However, it has LOTS of great new features. i.e. The Prowlers now do area jamming, great new maps, the Western Pacific theatre is now included, Land Units can Move!, etc..... And many, many bugs have been stamped out.

3) Is Harpoon III a better improvement over II, than II was over the original?

I don't like to compare if Harpoon II was better or not versus Harpoon Classic. Both communities have their followers and their enthusiasts. They share common history, but they are pretty different in their implementation.

I will say that Harpoon III is MAJOR improvement over Harpoon II. Like night and day the number of bugs fixed, running speed, databases, etc.

I hope that this counts as three "Yes" answers. Love to have you join back into the community. :up:

sarge33rd
11-04-05, 08:06 AM
Thanks Herman for the reply. I guess I should have been more precise re Harpoon Classic. I was referring to the Harpoon Classic 2002 Gold, available for purchase here at subsim. From your answer, it looks like a "yes" to me.

The other two questions you clearly replied n the affirmative, so I just found my X-mas presents for this year! :)

Thanks again.