PDA

View Full Version : DVD drive gone

XabbaRus
11-03-05, 06:16 PM
OK bought an AverTV Hyubrid + FM PCI TV card

Put it and turned on the box.

Started up fine got the found new hard ware.

Clicked Cancel as per manula and loaded the disc.

Selected install software. It installs the player software and then attempts to install the driver.

Halfway through system reboots and goes into a loop, I have ti do F8 and chooses selective startup.

IAfter a bit of mucking about I load a regitry backup I had and got my system back to normal, except I have lost my DVD drive. Still works as CD ROm and reads the recovery disc which is a DVD but it won't run the recovery disc neitehr from in windows or when i restart.

Help please.

This card is new on market so no updated drivers as of yet.

XabbaRus
11-03-05, 07:05 PM
OK can read DVDs Nero finds it and the info shows all the supported write featyures. But in My Computer in the Type column it is CD Drive but I am sure before this FUBAR it was DVD

Oh well it is back.

Looks like a dodgy driver install from Avermedia.

XabbaRus
11-03-05, 08:20 PM
OK took out the TV card and put it in the other PCI slot.

Put back my modem in the PCI slot from which it had come and which the TV card have been in.

Turned on PC.

Boots up fine but nothing looking for new hardware.

When I run the add hardware wizard XP doesn't find anything.

So now it can't see my TV card and it can't find the modem.

I am really stucj as what to do. I am verging on the paranoid that I have pushed too hard and buggered my board up and stuff which I hope I haven't.

All because a driver install was faulty. Going to phone Avermedia tomorrow to see what is wrong. Will leave PC as is for now but if anyone has any utils for finding lost hard ware or checking that ones mobo is in one peice then please let me know as I am almost in tears here. Feel like I really ****ed up.

This isn't the first time I have installed equipment in a PC...

Please help.