PDA

View Full Version : The PlayersDB MatchPlay contest

Herman
11-03-05, 05:55 PM
"Battle Stations. Battle Stations. All hands man Battle stations. This is not a Drill!!"

We're having a Harpoon III contest and you're invited!

MATCHPLAY

Terrorist attacks on the Belgium Royal family have left the Dutch Crown Prince next in line to the throne of Belgium. Popular mourning and an uprising has quickly resulted into civil war between the French-speaking Walloons in southern Belgium and the Dutch-speaking Flemish in northern Belgium.

Holland has quickly moved ground forces into Belgium to assert its claim to the throne, while France has tried unsuccessfully to mobilise the UN. But as the Israelis showed in 1967, the UN cannot operate at the pace of modern warfare…
Harpoon3 players are challenged to try this series of scenarios from either side. At the end of each game, send me the saved game file and I will send you the next scenario. It will be customised and based on the results from your previous game. Overall, there are three scenarios for each participant; three playable by France and three playable by the Dutch side.

Players' results (losses to you and your enemy, Victory Conditions met, ammo expended, and ROE violations) will be tabulated and sent to the umpire who will use the results (without knowing to whom they belong) to decide upon a winner of the competition. Brad Leyte has graciously volunteered to be the umpire in this event. Brad has been a stalwart member of the entire Harpoon community.

The opening scenario is a frantically paced air-to-air and ASuW scenario. Both sides have most of the same forces that they would have in a real life conflict. The relative proximity of the bases makes the scenario very fast and furious.

In the second and third scenarios, the players face very different challenges; from Special Forces operations to ASW/Submarine warfare and desperate attempts to reinforce depleted units.

The scenarios range from six to forty-eight hours of game time.

Contest Parameters: Play with Harpoon 3 GE v3.6.3
Play with the latest PlayersDB version available http://www.strategyzoneonline.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=697
Grab the final version of MatchPlay http://www.strategyzoneonline.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=721
I will try to send back the next scen within a few days of receiving the saved game.
The Umpire's verdict is final.
Anyone may compete. If you have played the scenario before, you might want to try playing it from the other side.
Players can compete either from French or Dutch sides. Starting from the French side is far tougher in the first scen than starting from the Dutch side. This factor will be taken into account by the Umpire.
The length of each scenario will be listed. Either enable the AutoSave feature or else save the game as close to the end as possible. Remember, once time expires in the game engine, You Will Not Be Able To Save The Game.
The scenarios should be played with the Autolinks option engaged and Aircraft Logistics enabled.
If a player wins a scenario before time expires, please don't "run up the score" by ignoring the Victory message in order to play onwards.
Loss of a scenario does not mean elimination from the competition. It may mean that the next scenario is more difficult, though. All three scenarios will be played regardless of win/loss.
This competition will be completed by December 15th, 2005.
The winner of the contest will receive a free upgrade of his Harpoon 3 game to the as-yet-to-be-released Harpoon3: Advanced Naval Warfare version.
Saved games can be sent to: freek_schepers@yahoo.com and you can also post your results in this thread for the rest of the community to enjoy
Please make your interest known in this thread

Herman
01-15-06, 11:50 PM
Taitennek, Tony and Choowee have all finished the contest. The attached word document gives a factual summary of each players performance as I submitted it to Brad Leyte who has been our independent judge. The results were presented to him anonymously and he had no trouble at all in declaring a clear winner;

who was Player #1; i.e. Taitennek!!

(Player#2 was Tony, Player #3 was Choowee).

Congratulations with this clear victory! :cheeky:

I have enjoyed the competition immensely, I would like to thank the players for their great play and their prompt and funny postings in this thread. Herman has given invaluable help in pretesting all games, and Brad for his independent judging!

I have asked Herman to help me publish all the individual scens for your enjoyment. That means 4 new scens for the community! :love:
I must apologise for the difficulty level of 1NL_FR (the first scen of Matchplay); it has been amazing to me that the Dutch Air Force and Navy gave the numerically superior French such a hard time, and I must admit that my Intel Officer trick worked out rather well! :devious:

Anyhow, thanks to all; and look forward to someone following my example to build a contest as I enjoy them too; the original Harpoint Challenge was what got me building scens 2-3 years ago!

So Taitennek wins the Harpoon 3.7 ANW upgrade!!

Freek Schepers