PDA

View Full Version : Safe passage to Liverpool by Caernarfon, Wales?

Ula Jolly
11-03-05, 02:01 PM
I was jumping about in the VIIC, and came to wonder... is the pass around northern Wales a safe alternative for a sub? I mean, for someone that would like to put safety as a high priority!
The western inlet looks as tight as a French inland maid, but is it possible to submerge to PD here? ANY experience at all on this issue? :D
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/959/limeys1ee.jpg

:arrgh!:

Dowly
11-03-05, 02:05 PM
I havent tried it. Is it showing in the in-game map?

Ula Jolly
11-03-05, 02:07 PM
I havent tried it. Is it showing in the in-game map?
Compared to DW, EVERYTHING is showing in the in-game map. But yeah, I checked in the in-game map, and it's there. Can't know the depth, though. Also, at one point there are two land-dots meeting in the corners.. :cry:

wetwarev7
11-03-05, 02:12 PM
I was jumping about in the VIIC, and came to wonder... is the pass around northern Wales a safe alternative for a sub? I mean, for someone that would like to put safety as a high priority!
The western inlet looks as tight as a French inland maid, but is it possible to submerge to PD here? ANY experience at all on this issue? :D
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/959/limeys1ee.jpg

:arrgh!:

Instead of "Limer", shouldn't the map read "'ware! Thar be dragons here!"

Ula Jolly
11-03-05, 02:16 PM
It's actually "Limey", it's just my Ys suck. :D

Excalibur Bane
11-03-05, 02:50 PM
Uhhh. Nice drawing. :P

thasaint
11-03-05, 02:52 PM
oh if only real u-boot captains had satellite photos to navigate with eh? LOLOL

Ula Jolly
11-03-05, 03:07 PM
oh if only real u-boot captains had satellite photos to navigate with eh? LOLOL
If they compensated through having my drawing capabilities, I think that'd even it out. :roll:

klh
11-03-05, 07:16 PM
Having spent many an afternoon with my fish and chips by the Caernarfon Castle wall, and looking out to Anglesey, I seriously doubt that a sub could make it through at PD. Even if you could get past Caernafon at hight tide, it gets pretty narrow and rocky at the Menai Bridge.

benetofski
11-03-05, 07:42 PM
Well I wouldnt put money on getting your VIIC through in one piece... I seem to recall 'HMS Conwy' and 'HMS Indefatigeable' are right there on the Menai Straits -

So how does a Kaleun 7000 miles away in Canada know all that ?- you might well ask? :hmm:

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau
Yn annwyl i mi,

...need I go on ? :D

andy_311
11-04-05, 05:04 AM
the Menai straits been there in real life and it's too shallow for a sub to sail throught and in the centre of the straits there's an island with a house on it so you would be spotted.

and for Mr benetofski I know how you know.

Ula Jolly
11-04-05, 08:51 AM
Awwww... :nope:

Dowly
11-04-05, 08:54 AM

No luck? :roll:

Ula Jolly
11-04-05, 12:37 PM

No luck? :roll:
Doesn't seem like it! I'm arranging a single mission to test and map this area. We shall see! :D