PDA

View Full Version : SH3 vs Dangerous Waters

Viduka
11-01-05, 07:36 PM
Apologies if this has been posted already elsewhere. I'm new to SH3 and have been enjoying it immensely playing on 100% realism with no mods. Still yet to figure out which mod is the best (and simplest to go with for more realism)

Anyway, I was just reading up on Dangerous Waters and trying to get an idea of how the 2 games differ from each other and in essence, work out if it would be a better game overall.

Of course, it all comes down to personal opinion, but if anyone owns both games or has some thoughts on the matter it would be appreciated. :ping:

Bilge rat? :down:

kanderstag
11-01-05, 07:44 PM
No Starforce in DW, lol. Check out the reviews for both at Gamespot. I think each game is mentioned in the other's review. There's also a free demo for DW.

TLAM Strike
11-01-05, 07:44 PM
SH3 makes you think you’re on a German U-boat.

DW makes you think you've compromised national security. :o

gdogghenrikson
11-01-05, 07:49 PM
SH3 makes you think you’re on a German U-boat.

DW makes you think you've compromised national security. :o

well put

FERdeBOER
11-01-05, 08:10 PM
I have both, play both and enjoy both. :up:

It's a matter of personal opinions. The two games are the best (and almost the unique :nope:) on their area.

Both games are very, very realistics when played at full realism.
SHIII is more "intuitive", not just for the gameplay, but because the WWII technology is more simple.
Maybe the greatest diference (apart from the time) is that on SHIII you "only" drive German subs and in DW you can drive subs from 3 countries, and also a missile frigate, a helo or a plane.

Ufff it's very hard to explain.

The game concept is also different becasue there had not been a modern war with modern submarines (and helos, Orions and Perrys), so DW is "limited" to small conflicts or hipotetical wars.
On the other side, SHIII inmerse you very well on the IIWW, probably the conflict which atract more people to know how, when, who, what...

As said, is a matter of what kind o play do you want. Long patrols, easy math operations for navigation and torpedoes... or technology, procesing signals from various sensors, very fast fights, radars, missiles...

Finally, SHIII has far better graphics than DW. But you can play DW windowed. And SHIII is more inmersive-claustrophobic than DW.

I will stop here because ona can speak to the end of the times and don't decide for one. Try both, and decide yourself. I decided the two :rock:

Viduka
11-01-05, 09:08 PM
Many thanks for the extensive answer. I always used to be more interested in modern combat (I love americas army) but since playing SH3 I have taken a great interest in WWI and II.

I've got some holidays coming up might even try a no TC campaign. :hmm:

The Avon Lady
11-02-05, 02:56 AM
I downloaded the new DW tutorial videos.

I think I'd have an easier time cleaning my car's carburator. :88)

Excalibur Bane
11-02-05, 03:55 AM
I downloaded the new DW tutorial videos.

I think I'd have an easier time cleaning my car's carburator. :88)

Meh. My thoughts precisely. My old favorite was that game from Jane's, Fleet Command I think? Anyway, it was great since you commanded all the forces making up a naval strike group. Sort of like a 3D Harpoon I guess. Dunno, I just liked it alot I guess. :)

Marcus
11-02-05, 04:54 AM
I've been playing subsims since they got on the market and my favourites are both DW and SHIII. The reasons are stated above by others. They cannot be compared. DW has more work regarding tactics IMHO because there are so many adversaries. SHIII is all about personal experience. Try DW in a virtual fleet like the Seawolves on the net and this becomes a major asset too.

silent_otto
11-02-05, 05:49 AM
@ Avon Lady... I bet your car doesnt even have a carburetor... :D
or does it? :hmm:

The Avon Lady
11-02-05, 05:55 AM
@ Avon Lady... I bet your car doesnt even have a carburetor... :D
or does it? :hmm:
Is that a multiple-choice question? :88)

silent_otto
11-02-05, 06:06 AM
a) Yes
b) No
c) I guess nothing can be harder than fixing a non-existant carburator...
d) What is a carburator?
e) What is a car?

SteamWake
11-02-05, 11:37 AM
Not to get back on topic or anything but...

These are two completly different games and type of game. This apples to oranges comparison is pretty much pointless.

I own them both play them both. But if I HAD to choose one over the other it would be SH III.

Ula Jolly
11-02-05, 01:18 PM
Not to get back on topic or anything but...

These are two completly different games and type of game. This apples to oranges comparison is pretty much pointless.

I own them both play them both. But if I HAD to choose one over the other it would be SH III.
He was only asking for the differences.

What people have been saying till now is rather correct, except DW isn't ALL that difficult. If I can sink a Perry in a Kilo, most can! The amount of data you get in DW is absolutely immense, and hopefully future patches will smoothen the game even more! I consider SHIII to be superior to DW in many areas, but DW is - IMO - to submarine games what FS 98 was to flight games. It still needs to become more popular, and it still needs to improve in certain areas! DW is nearly a direct derivative of Sub Command, which.. I guess could count as FS 95 if you want to continue the analogy. :D

FERdeBOER
11-02-05, 04:38 PM
Another differences: in DW your worst enemies are helos (damm helos :damn: ) and other subs, not surface ships.

And... the pericope is not your best friend anymore. There's a bug on DW, hope to be corrected with the incomming new patch and periscope is not detectable by surface radars, but in Sub Command were detectable and raising the scope was almost a suicide, specially with helos around (damm helos :damn: )

About game parents... SC derivates from 688i hunter/killer

Highbury
11-02-05, 04:53 PM
and they all derive from plain old 688 Attack Sub by EA before that, was my first PC game on my ol' 286 actually :)

I have both and have just started playing SHIII. Others have outlined the technical differences so I will just say that on the whole I like SH more. It is the one that I find myself thinking on when I am away from the computer. That said I am much more into WW2 games as a whole, be it naval sim, flight sim or even shooter.

but on the topic of the old ones.. my first sub game was Silent Service for the original Nintendo, was set in the Pacific and you could only be US Navy.... anyone remember that one?

Viduka
11-02-05, 06:43 PM
and they all derive from plain old 688 Attack Sub by EA before that, was my first PC game on my ol' 286 actually :)

I have both and have just started playing SHIII. Others have outlined the technical differences so I will just say that on the whole I like SH more. It is the one that I find myself thinking on when I am away from the computer. That said I am much more into WW2 games as a whole, be it naval sim, flight sim or even shooter.

but on the topic of the old ones.. my first sub game was Silent Service for the original Nintendo, was set in the Pacific and you could only be US Navy.... anyone remember that one?

I certainly remember 688 attack sub. I had a demo version of it where you could only do a training mission I believe, but I played it over and over.

CCIP
11-02-05, 07:44 PM
Although I'm yet to get DW (and one day I will), I hear that multiplayer there blows SHIII out of the water - for those who enjoy that kind of thing. Admittably, multiple people playing different stations on the same machine is already appealing enough - and the potential for interesting matchups and head-to-head combat seems to be appealing enough :hmm:

kiwi_2005
11-02-05, 11:20 PM
I have DW and i found the learning curve too STEEP! Of course you can play this game with an easy option auto crew etc., but this is a type of game where if you really want enjoyment out of it, it has to be played in realistic mode. I like how though in DW you can take command of a destroyer or pilot as well. Good options.

Silent Hunter 3 is a different story, you can enjoy the game with 100% but also its still a brilliant game to play even with auto-targetting on.

Trav_R
11-03-05, 01:16 AM
My buddy had Silent Service on the Nintendo, but I didn't, so I never got into it although it looked pretty damn cool.

688 Attack Sub, however, I do have some experience with. I was around 6-7 years old and for some odd reason it was on my Dad's computer at his shop (he's a diesel mechanic, his shop doesn't even use a computer anymore they went back to doing all the books by hand.) I tried and tried to play that game, and although I somehow managed to sink ships from time to time, I never really knew what the hell was going on. I'm sure it woulda been fun if I were a little older and could understand what was going on :oops:

jason10mm
11-03-05, 09:00 AM
Obviously there are major differences including the time period, technology, and scope of the game. The biggest gameplay difference is that SH3 has a dynamic "open" campaign with few specific goals (though there are canned missions) while DW is all canned missions, many with non-combat goals (reflecting the versatile nature of sub operations today). You also get more platforms including helos and frigates in DW.

But for me, there is a quantum difference in the "feel" of the games. For whatever reason, it is reflected by every WW2 vs modern sim game I've played, be it tanks, fighter planes, or subs. WW2 stuff just has a more visceral "in your face" feel. you have to go to guns on the target, your best sensor is the mark I eyeball, and no fancy computer does any work for you. Modern sims feel more sterile (to me), more about pushing buttons than getting your claws into the enemy. DW has a VERY steep learning curve, but with autocrew you can focus on driving the ship and less about manipulating the sonar array. But it is VERY detailed and rewarding when you do things right. you really feel the lack of 20 guys helping you out though. SH3 has a more limited set of tools at your disposal so you are better able to focus on the mission.

It is more refined than DW (game interface-wise), but DW has a pretty hardcore group of modders just like SH3 who are working to iron out the bugs or make things more realistic.

Get both though, there ain't many naval sims out there and they all need to be supported!

smc
11-03-05, 01:31 PM

My first sub game was Red Storm Rising for the C64, which was an awesome modern sub sim. Very challenging, with dynamic--rather than canned--missions.

Trav_R
11-03-05, 04:27 PM
There is a "Hunt for Red October" box at my mom's house that I have no idea where it came from. It's got instructions for installation on several different machines of the time, and they look pretty damn complicated. "Plug the joystick in port one: put the disk in, unplug the joystick and move it to port two" <- Wha?? :doh: I don't know anything about that game and I'm not about to buy a 20 yr old computer to find out, anyone know whether it was cool or not?

Marhkimov
11-03-05, 04:29 PM
So your mom played "Hunt for Red October" ?

Ooooh, is she married??? :hmm:

FERdeBOER
11-03-05, 10:15 PM
WW2 stuff just has a more visceral "in your face" feel. you have to go to guns on the target, your best sensor is the mark I eyeball, and no fancy computer does any work for you.

I think that's the reason because the IIWW is so fascinating to so many people: is the last "manual war". The man was still who makes the difference. The machines had not enought differences to disable the man's capabilities. There wasn't enought quality difference between tanks, planes, ships, weapons... that a good soldier/pilot/commander/general... could not manage and win.

Now, a very good Captain driving a Han (nuclear chinese sub) has nothing to do against a drunken Captain on a 688i. The sensor and weapons difference are tooo high.