PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver Maritime Museum

Twelvefield
10-31-05, 05:34 PM
I had the chance recently to visit the Maritime Museum in Vancouver (in Canada). It's pretty good.

The West Coast of North America was largely immune to German U-Boats, so there wasn't a whole lot on WWII submarines, but I do reccommend some of the beautiful artwork on display that commemorates Canadian involvement in the Merchant Marines. As well, there's an excellent explaination of the evolution of the Flower Destroyer, and some nice art of the warships, too.

The lone piece from a Nazi submarine is a set of binoculars taken from an UZO. It doesn't look much like what's in the game, but it is interesting enough to see the real thing, even if it is just a small piece.

Of course, there's much more to see and do in Vancouver than looking for U-boat paraphernalia, but in any case, if you have the chance, the Vancover Maritime Museum is an agreeable experience. That, and it's quite close to Vera's, the best hamburger you will find in British Columbia (but not the world -- that honour goes to Peter's Drive-In in Calgary, Alberta. I'd rank Eating a Peter Burger as one of the Essential Human Experiences, along with Enlightenment and Transcendence. be sure to order the large fries!).

Highbury
10-31-05, 09:19 PM
Hello! I have only had this game about 2 weeks, have popped in these forums a few times for useful info and had planned to register, finally got on it when I saw this post as I live right in the area :)

Would have to agree that the museum is a great experience, and although there was no german U-Boat threat on this coast the threat of Japanese boats was taken very seriously (although it never materialized.) The one 'claim-to-fame' we have in that respect though, Japanese submarine I-26 lobbed a few shells harmlessly at the lighthouse of Estevan Point , British Columbia. They were only 5.5's and between 20 - 30 were fired.... not much of an attack.

I did however have the opportunity last year to visit the Maritime Museum in Halifax.... WOW. Not only was this a major port in the specific conflict that brings us together on this forum, but for every large scale conflict britain has been in for 200+ years, not to mention the Titanic, Halifax Explosion... and so much other maritime history, it really is a must see!! (And with the Alexander Keith Brewery a short walk away it is worth planning a vacation around!)

Twelvefield
11-01-05, 02:58 PM
On behalf of everyone else here, welcome to the forum! If you are looking for information that's going to help you play the game, this is definitely the best place to be.

Just remember that there are no stupid questions, but that every answer that you need will each cost you exactly one "G-Money" burger form Vera's, payable to me, of course. In lieu of that, I would also accept loud cheering for the BC Lions!

GO LIONS!!

Highbury
11-01-05, 05:34 PM
Mmmmm burgers.. sounds like a plan lol. I will have to cheer real loud for the Lions if you are gonna hear me though.... I'll be across the street watching the Canucks! :rock: