PDA

View Full Version : I hate tankers.

Redfoot
10-30-05, 04:16 PM
TANKERS! :down:

They're like C2's that refuse to die. Spotted a large convoy in BF 17 just now, I sank all the small stuff leaving just the T2 Tanker, 1 immobile C2 and an armed trawler without any arms (tonage too low for me to waste torps on :P )

So what are their weakspots? I hit the rear building, then the front one.. then the middle section then the frontal section.. and he's still afloat. Are these things made out of rubber or what?

GAGA Extrem
10-30-05, 04:40 PM
Well, just aim under the keel, set magnetic detonator and watch the firework. Another way is to target fuel tanks.

And if you want action, give him hell with your deck gun - bright T-3 fires are funky :up:

Detritus
10-30-05, 04:51 PM
I wish it was that easy. I've nailed plenty of them but the only thing that really works is to hit the fuel tanks or engines with mag right under the keel. Shots anywhere else don't either do anything or you might get some fires breaking out but that's it. Single tankers are no big deal because you've all the time in the world to set up the shot and finish it with a deckgun if need be but the ones in convoys are a different story. I just hit three T3's from 400m, scope locked to the ship and they barely flinched, didn't even slow down. Hence, when attacking them in convoys, I make some room around them first and then treat them as they were single merchs, one by one if I have to (one shot, one kill policy here).

andy_311
10-30-05, 05:33 PM
T2s or T3s set you fish for magnetic and aim for there engines or fuel tsnkd 1 fish and there history.

Cpt.Thorne
10-30-05, 06:13 PM
Fuel tank=1torp 3m impact. Or magnetic midship under keel (not as sure shot though) just my 0.02€ on this matter
Good Hunting

scrapser
10-30-05, 07:31 PM
It depends if they're heading west or east. Ships heading back to the States are empty and harder to sink. Sometimes this happens with eastbound ships but rarely. T3's are easier to sink in this situation. Fire a keel shot right under the smoke stack. The whole rear of the ship will blow up and it will sink by the stern in a couple minutes.

T2's can be dealt with the same way but the sweet spot is much smaller. I never need more than one torpedo to sink a tanker.

scrapser

BettingUrlife
10-30-05, 11:03 PM
Some people are just unlucky I think. For me, I'd say 99% of my shots on a T2 are placed under the engine and it's a one shot kill. Recently while penetrating convoys, I often even just send 1 fish at a T2 from over 1km and still get a 1 shot kill. It's been quite a while (I mean months) since I've had to use 2 or more fish on tanker.

CaptainEO
10-31-05, 12:30 AM
I had a beautiful one-shot kill on a T2 the other day. It was a magnetic detonator, 1m under the keel, amidships (under the forward tower section). The entire ship blew up and sank instantly. (this is with "realistic sinking time" on :)

The Avon Lady
10-31-05, 01:34 AM
TANKERS! :down:

They're like C2's that refuse to die.
See this old thread of mine (http://www.subsim.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=42013).

ReM
10-31-05, 07:26 AM
Torpedo depth set to 2,5 - 3,5 mtrs, impact pistol, speed set to fast.

Aim for area under the funnel (C2-C3), or place the torp just in front of the funnels (T2-T3).

This will result in a better than 50 % 1 shot 1 kill ratio.....I'd say in about 65 % - 70 % of the cases the ship will explode in a great ball of fire and sink. A nice clean hit in the fuel tanks......

In the remaining encounters, when the first torpedo fails to sink the victim, it might indeed take somewhere between 2-5 (!) eels to finish him off......some days are better than others!

Soviet_Warlord
10-31-05, 08:13 AM
This topic is funny since I find tankers to be the easiest ships (apart from fishing boats :P) to sink, I never need to spend more then 1 torpedo on them.

The Avon Lady
10-31-05, 08:31 AM
This topic is funny since I find tankers to be the easiest ships (apart from fishing boats :P) to sink, I never need to spend more then 1 torpedo on them.
Are you playing with RUb, IRUb, the Imporved Convoys mod, or similar?

wetwarev7
10-31-05, 09:27 AM
Some people are just unlucky I think. For me, I'd say 99% of my shots on a T2 are placed under the engine and it's a one shot kill. Recently while penetrating convoys, I often even just send 1 fish at a T2 from over 1km and still get a 1 shot kill. It's been quite a while (I mean months) since I've had to use 2 or more fish on tanker.

I agree! I have good days, and bad. Over the weekend, the first convoy I hit had three T3 tankers in just the right spots. I fired two torps at each (four front, two back) set on impact, all within 15 degrees of 90 AOB, and every torp hit!

None of them sank. One was listing heavily(I ended up following this one for 30+ hours waiting for the weather to clear so I could use my deck guns), the other two were chugging happily along, so I loaded up the last of my torps, and being badly out of position and dodging warships, I launched my last four torps all set for mag detonation. And they mag detonated all right, all short of thier targets. The result, 10 torps, no sinkie.

My next patrol, I acquired a convoy, and managed one kill for every two torps, which is about average for me.

And I still have yet to the recog manual show any sweetspots, at any distance. :hmm:

scrapser
10-31-05, 04:05 PM
I thought I mention this as it looked funny at the time. I just attacked a convoy off Nova Scotia in the shallow region. I sank three T2's there and each one ended up with it's stern section sticking straight up out of the water.

scrapser

Soviet_Warlord
10-31-05, 04:08 PM
Are you playing with RUb, IRUb, the Imporved Convoys mod, or similar?

I use improved convoys and sink them all, along with hollywood 1.4 plus many other mods.

Skubber
11-01-05, 09:22 AM
It strikes me that there is a fair deal of variation in the way that ships respond to being struck. In 3 recent encounters with C2s, I have sunk two with one shot under the keel each, and a third with one torpedo on impact. (Usually, however, it does take 2 or three shots to sink them.)

Also recently, I have put 3 torpedoes into a C3, and had it not sink. We waited it out, with many warships in the area, for almost two days. We had no torps left, and we had to leave the ship unsunk.

I tend to go after T3 tankers with a two topedo spread, set on impact, with good success. Often the tanker blows up before the second torpedo strikes. But lately it seems to take 3 eels for me to sink a T3.

All this is to say that a certain degree a variability seems to be built into the game, and this is a good thing! Ships were not built exactly alike, nor were the crews identical in their ability to respond to damage, seal off bulkheads, man the pumps, etc.

It's great when I can sink a big ship with one torpedo, and I just try to enjoy the realism of the situation when it takes two, or three, or four...