PDA

View Full Version : First snow of this year

retired1212
10-26-05, 10:06 PM
Yeppeee....And I can't wait for -20C

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/6543/pa270011large7tv.jpg

TLAM Strike
10-26-05, 10:19 PM
Snowed in NYS too. Luckily Rochester is in the lower elevations so all we got was rain... weeks and weeks of rain...

Pigfish
10-26-05, 10:25 PM
Yeppeee....And I can't wait for -20C

Thats all? -20? :roll: Theres no snow here yet on the east side of the Rockies (worth counting) but I cant wait for -40+C sure to come. :roll:

Never knew Finland was so warm. :-j

The Avon Lady
10-27-05, 12:39 AM
+27C here today. Still enjoying sandals. :sunny:

Polak
10-27-05, 04:40 AM
Stockholm +3.1C ..... :down: at least a coulpe of weeks left until I see some snow here. I'm going to Poland tomorrow, maybe there's a better weather there :)

retired1212
10-27-05, 05:12 AM
Thats all? -20? :roll: Theres no snow here yet on the east side of the Rockies (worth counting) but I cant wait for -40+C sure to come. :roll:

Actually I am living in Helsinki and temperatures below than -17C are very rare in these days. However, the northern area has a lot of snow in winter and the temperatures are very romanic for people like me :D. Also the sights of northern lights are wonderful. I was never been in northern areas in Jan - March but maybe HappyTimes can write here his own experiences :)

Can't wait to go in sauna and then go outside naked :D

Damo1977
10-27-05, 05:36 AM
:( Never seen real snow, seen snow dirt!!! sconed my mate in the eye with it. :|\ Have experienced many 40c+ days like I gather Uber Avon Lady would have. When the bitumen starts bubbling. But alas no snow.

joea
10-27-05, 06:01 AM
Damo, Xmas must rock in Oz, wake up, open the gifts, go to the beach for a swim, turkey bbq. :cool:

Gorduz
10-27-05, 06:09 AM
We had our first snow 3 days ago as well :D but its gone now, except on the hilltops

retired1212
10-27-05, 06:12 AM

Temperatures over 15C are too hot for me :shifty:

The Avon Lady
10-27-05, 06:16 AM
Temperatures over 15C are too hot for me :shifty:
You must peel easily. :o

Damo1977
10-27-05, 06:25 AM
Damo, Xmas must rock in Oz, wake up, open the gifts, go to the beach for a swim, turkey bbq. :cool:

Turkey??????? Ain't no traditonal carving in our family:D Sausages and steak on the Barbie + other cold meats (OK inc turkey), and beer + abit of cricket. Yeah its a general party day, everyone is out and about.

Type941
10-27-05, 09:15 AM
We also had it first time on October 26, funny concidence... :P

Konovalov
10-27-05, 09:19 AM
:( Never seen real snow, seen snow dirt!!! sconed my mate in the eye with it. :|\ Have experienced many 40c+ days like I gather Uber Avon Lady would have. When the bitumen starts bubbling. But alas no snow.

Have you not been to Mt Thebarton over there in Adelaide or has it closed down now? :lol: :lol:

Happy Times
10-27-05, 11:53 AM

Actually I am living in Helsinki and temperatures below than -17C are very rare in these days. However, the northern area has a lot of snow in winter and the temperatures are very romanic for people like me :D. Also the sights of northern lights are wonderful. I was never been in northern areas in Jan - March but maybe HappyTimes can write here his own experiences :)

Can't wait to go in sauna and then go outside naked :D I live near Pori now, it looks about the same here. When i lived up north -40c wasnt that rare :hmm: And the beer,remember the beer ;)

jumpy
10-27-05, 12:12 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4381994.stm

:rotfl: by recent standards we're in for some warmer weather here next week :roll: maybe as high as 23C - that's just wrong for this time of year hehe

Kissaki
10-27-05, 01:43 PM
We had first snowfall sometime last week. I look forward to winter, too. I'm glad to see there are more cold weather lovers here! :up:

Of course, I've always been fortunate in that my favourite season is always the current one. There's always something that reminds me of something nice and beautiful. The mountains also have different looks according to the season, and always beautiful.

In the summer I savour the heat (we typically get 20-30C on the brightest days), mountain hiking and the midnight sun. Now, I live just below the polar circle, but it still doesn't get dark during the summer, just slightly less bright. The nights are so warm and beautiful (and for some reason, gives me a sort of "Secret of Monkey Island"-feeling :P ).

During the fall I enjoy all the colours, smells and the occasional summer day or wintery bite. We start to smell winter in October (winter has its own crisp, clean, lovely smell), either during the early morning hours or late at night.

A good winter provides us with -15 - -20C (which is just right for me), and nice, soft, powdery snow. The nights are pitch black (in fact, it's pitch black by 4 or 5 pm), and there's something so incredibly beautiful about walking in the dead of winter at night, hearing the creaking of the snow beneath my boots and seeing the crispy clear night sky. Perhaps the Northern light is paying a visit, too. Alternatively, snowing heavily with big, dry flakes of snow. And the weather being so cold it physically hurts to breathe through the nose. Then - and this is also the reason I tend to love even foul weather - getting home, taking off the outter clothes and settling down in front of a fireplace with a nice cup of hot chocolate.

Then spring, which is great because the days start to grow longer again. The last of the winter combined with a more persistant sun makes the Easter ideal for skiing. The one thing I don't like about spring, though, is the ice... Because it's all melting, it makes for extremely slippery ice. Oh sure, they put salt and gravel on paths and roads, but for pedestrians at least it's rarely enough.

The best thing about the colder seasons, though: no bugs! :D :up:

retired1212
10-27-05, 02:16 PM

Exactly, no azzholes like this one. It bit me on my hand in this spring, and got visa for hell as result :D

http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/9058/buglarge1zt.jpg

Kapitan
10-27-05, 04:20 PM
it snows WOW

i see snow all the time god dam weather grrr to warm in this part of england for snow for next month or so i recon

Damo1977
10-27-05, 05:37 PM
Have you not been to Mt Thebarton over there in Adelaide or has it closed down now? :lol: :lol:

:o :rotfl: How you know about that? It nearly did close down,but it was saved by the State Government. I think it is called 'The Snowdome' now...Anyhow I am too old to be hanging around the teenyboppers :D

Konovalov
10-27-05, 05:42 PM
I know about that because as I have told you before I used to live in Adelaide in the early 90's during my teens. I went there once. What a joke. :smug:

XabbaRus
10-27-05, 06:20 PM
Winter rocks.

Best season. They reckon in UK will be colder than normal which is good.
I miss the Russian winters. Ah how I loved Tomsk with -40 for quite a bit of it. Ah I remember 9am walking to teach my class and actually walking about 30 centimetres above the pavement due to the layering of snowfall.

Then walking back in the afternoon and getting a shaslik from the shahslik man......ah those were the days....

Walking on a river was fun too........I could walk on water, fancy that.

And where am I stuck right now. North sodding East of sodding Scotland with too warm October weather :(

Pigfish
10-27-05, 06:30 PM
Winter rocks.

Best season. They reckon in UK will be colder than normal which is good.
I miss the Russian winters. Ah how I loved Tomsk with -40 for quite a bit of it. Ah I remember 9am walking to teach my class and actually walking about 30 centimetres above the pavement due to the layering of snowfall.

Then walking back in the afternoon and getting a shaslik from the shahslik man......ah those were the days....

Try working outdoors in -40 and see how you like it. :-j My lot in life.

And what the hecks a shaslik? A type of coffee?

Dead Mans Hand
10-27-05, 07:59 PM
Between 30 and 40 degress F here in Penn's Woods and the today was the first day since sunday without rain. From what I hear of England, it's much like Southern Pennsylvania. But with better... choices of refreshment, yes? I'm hoping to finally see the thermo hit -20 F this year myself. Makes taking my Mauser out to field a whole new level of fun. Out of morbid curiosity have any of you European chaps ever had the chance to go hunting?

The Avon Lady
10-28-05, 12:37 AM
Shishlik are bits of grilled lamb or other meats.

I don't think Starbucks carries it or has yet invented a coffee flavored after it. :dead:

Pigfish
10-28-05, 01:19 AM

I can only recall experiencing +40 once in my life in Saskatchewan, a Canadian prarie Provience. I could hardly breath or walk in that heat so overwhelming. :o

I don't think Starbucks carries it or has yet invented a coffee flavored after it. :dead:

Thanks Avon Lady but Im a tea man myself. ;)

Damo1977
10-28-05, 02:49 AM
I know about that because as I have told you before I used to live in Adelaide in the early 90's during my teens. I went there once. What a joke. :smug:

Everyone tells me they have lived in little old Adelaide. Its is quite suprising the number of people that lived here from this site alone... :hmm: Maybe I drive them away.......... :|\ Excellent !!!!more water for me :rotfl:

Well for the last 2 years we can't water our gardens between 6pm and 8am. It sucks, I blame it on the Americans with people like Montgomery Burns running nuclear power stations, I wouldn't be suprised if they have built a pipeline from the Murray to the USA and sucking our fresh water away :-j

Anyhow what is wrong with Mt Therbarton (Snowdome)? Just because it is basically ice shavings or it was last time I was there 8 yrs back.

Damo1977
10-28-05, 03:28 AM

Exactly, no azzholes like this one. It bit me on my hand in this spring, and got visa for hell as result.

Yeah frigging European Hordes always trying to take over Australia!!! We have the European wasp in abundance in Adelaide. I swear when it flys around in its mind its going 'I am looking for a rumble, lets play face to face with a human (and I mean face to face) and see who cracks first'

Hell, little old uncultured Damo thought 'shaslik' was basically 'meat on a stick' grilled with veges of your choice stuck inbetween the meat portions.

I can only recall experiencing +40 once in my life in Saskatchewan, a Canadian prarie Provience. I could hardly breath or walk in that heat so overwhelming. :o

Come to Adelaide not middle of summer but late January, Feburary or sometimes even early March (March the start of our Autumn or Fall). You will have a week or 2 of 40c+ or at least 37c+. People say go swim!!, I live 10mins from beach or less (like most of Adelaideans), the sand gets that hot and reflects the sun. I say 'frig that'. (plus also sand sucks in general!!!)
But hey!!, our beaches do rule if you are a calm water person.

Kissaki
10-28-05, 11:09 AM

Everyone tells me they have lived in little old Adelaide. Its is quite suprising the number of people that lived here from this site alone... :hmm: Maybe I drive them away.......... :|\ Excellent !!!!more water for me :rotfl:

A friend of mine has a theory that there are only 500 real people in the world - the rest are extras. :D

Kissaki
10-28-05, 01:12 PM
This pic is ten years old, but what the hell:

http://www.thefreeimagehosting.com/Uploads/Images/4747535387500vinter3.jpg (http://www.thefreeimagehosting.com/)