PDA

View Full Version : To the Europeans

Happy Times
10-24-05, 10:38 AM
Was surfing and got this link from Wikipedia. http://hymnus-europae.at/ Go to the "audi hymnum" to listen. Ive allways liked the EU hymn but it just so different with lyrics. It makes you think. Anyone else? Plus i think Latin is a beautiful language, maybe we should have some common language teached to all? :know:

August
10-24-05, 11:19 AM
Yeah, English. :D

retired1212
10-24-05, 12:43 PM
liberate tutemet ex inferis :D

Hitman
10-24-05, 02:39 PM
liberate tutemet ex inferis

:huh:

"Final horizon" movie fan? :)

retired1212
10-24-05, 05:35 PM
"Final horizon" movie fan? :)

Just a little correction. Event Horizon :D

werauchimmer
10-26-05, 02:42 PM
1st: The correct phrase is "Liberate tute mae / tuteme ex inferis" - "Save me/yourselfes from hell" (Well, "the inferno", which probably is equal in terms of ambient heat and humiditiy - or lack of the latter. Early Latin had no place like "hell", at least not by that name. But for translations purposes "hell" will do just fine.). "tute" is yourself(pl.), "ex Inferis" is the ablative case of "inferi", meaning "from hell". The character "DJ" makes a wrong translation at first, iirc. "Save me from hell", because when pronounced "mae", it sounds like the Latin word "me". Later he discovers that it could as well be tuteme. Chilling ;)

2nd: Latin would´nt be MY choice for a uniform language. Apart from the fact that it simply has no words for the more modern expressions, the grammar is...complicated. I am absolutely happy with the grammatic cases I already have, no need for an additional one (Ablative).

Edit:
Nearly forgot: You can get all Asterix comics in Latin in some of the better equipped libraries. Beware of the dialects, though. People from Lugundum have a very wierd accent. Let alone that one pirate...

Cheers
Wera

Dan D
10-26-05, 05:59 PM
Have I already mentioned that my Latin teacher at school, Dr. K., was an ex - Waffle-SS-mate? Oh no, not again.
What do you expect from a Latin teacher who teases pupils with old language? He is an old nancy, of course.:)
Dr. K was suffering from a shell-shock obviously. He always bored us with stories like “ all we had to eat in Russia was frozen tooth-paste” or “ to go for a pee was a real problem, your Heinrich would just fall off”. And when there was an air-defence drill at school (cold war times), he used to jump under the table, shouting “Alarm!”. LOL., totally screwed.
When he stepped down from his office as Latin teacher, no pupils or representatives joined his farewell-party, because his SS-membership past had just become public; us pupils could not stand him anyway, and especially Dr. Sch., my math teacher, was outraged and never ever talked to him again, because he and his family had been suffering under the Nazi reign.

Happy Times
10-27-05, 12:15 PM
http://www.cherryh.com/www/latin1.htm Didn find it too difficult from first glance, could be wrong though.. You would think the missing words could be created, maybe some from all languages? :hmm:

werauchimmer
10-28-05, 03:33 AM
And why go for this, if there are perfectly good living languages? If you try to pimp-my-latin, you´ll end up with another "esperanto".

Just so we have no misunderstanding: I love Latin. It is brutally logic, imho. Somewhat like spoken mathematics. The additional cases make for more diverse expressions. Roman Poetry is a riot, being octet based and all. But it is a dead language, and for a reason.