PDA

View Full Version : SH3's decibel sound settings, what they affect?

Average Joe
10-23-05, 06:12 PM
This may sound silly, but I'm wondering about SH3's volume settings, and how best to apply them.

I 'basically' understand the measurement of 'decibel'. The U.S. doesn't really use this standard of sound measurement for much of anything, except maybe for good sound equipment.

Two questions,

1. SH3 has a decibel sound-setting ranging from 0db, to -40db. Why did they not include sounds-settings beyond 0db? For instance, a range from -40, to (+)30db?
(my only guess is levels beyond 0db could cause sound distortion(?).

If I want a louder 'overall' sound, I have to use XP desktop (sound-card) volume setting, then readjust in-game settings again. It works but it would be so much easier to set individual volume-settings, while actually playing the game.
__

2. In-game 'Sound-settings' have only 4 options, 'General, Music, FX and Speech'.

Speech and Music are self-explanitory ( i hope :) )

Does anyone know (precisely) what the 'General' setting changes, and also 'FX'? I looked in the manual but can't find any explanation.

Btw if anyone has fine-tuned their sound-settings, please post your db-values. It'd be something to start with.

geopsun
10-24-05, 06:27 PM
The sound settings aren't useful for changing the overall volume level. As you said, you either have to go to the XP settings or the speakers themselves. But what it does allow you to do is set relative volumes. An extreme example of this would be for players who play on 1x time compression. They can set their speech volume much higher than the rest of the game. So their watch officer calling a new contact can be heard over the TV, while the sound of the thunderstorm in the patrol area cannot. :lol:

"General" affects normal ambient sounds in the game (e.g., internal sounds of the U-boat, weather, waves, etc.). "FX" is almost exclusively the sounds of combat (e.g., weapons fire, explosions, etc.)

Average Joe
10-25-05, 01:14 AM
The sound settings aren't useful for changing the overall volume level. As you said, you either have to go to the XP settings or the speakers themselves. But what it does allow you to do is set relative volumes. An extreme example of this would be for players who play on 1x time compression. They can set their speech volume much higher than the rest of the game. So their watch officer calling a new contact can be heard over the TV, while the sound of the thunderstorm in the patrol area cannot. :lol:

"General" affects normal ambient sounds in the game (e.g., internal sounds of the U-boat, weather, waves, etc.). "FX" is almost exclusively the sounds of combat (e.g., weapons fire, explosions, etc.)

geospun,

Thanks for posting about 'General' and 'FX' settings. I have trouble sometimes with lingering ambient sounds, mostly excess winds, like stormy weather winds still heard in calm seas.

Or even diesel-/electric motors running, even when they've been turned off. It usually happens if the game is paused. I use headphones while playing so the unwanted sounds are a bit annoying.

I'm going to turn down General sounds a bit, and a bit louder with the FX setting.

p.s. I didn't know people were 'allowed' to watch TV while playing SH3. :)