PDA

View Full Version : I got Red Alert 2 to work!

Syxx_Killer
10-22-05, 08:14 PM
I just gotta post. I'm very happy right now. I have had Command & Conquer Red Alert 2 since it came out. I pre-oredered the expansion for it when it came out. That was torture waiting for it. When I built the new computer, I put Windows XP Pro with SP2 on it. I had no choice as to install SP2, as it came on the Windows disc. Well, shortly after I got it up and running back in March, I decided to install RA2 and the YR expansion. When I inserted the RA2 disc, and clicked install I got the Microsoft error message. Yet, I could insert YR, click Install, and everything would be fine. I sadly put the game away never expecting to play it again. It is one of my all time favorite games. Tonight I decided to browse around some RA fan sites and see if a forum would help. Indeed it did! There was a link to the Macrovision site for a SafeDisc driver update. I had no idea RA2 used SafeDisc. I downloaded the update and RA2 installed! I couldn't believe it! I probably didn't need to download the update in retrospect because Rome: Total War uses SafeDisc. I probably could have installed RA2 without needing to download the update. If anyone out there is in the same boat, you may want to give it a try. Couldn't hurt. ;)

http://www.macrovision.com/products/safedisc/downloads.shtml

Pigfish
10-22-05, 09:26 PM
Geez its been a looong time but I sure maxed out and very much enjoyed the entire C&C series. :rock:

Lost the link a long time ago but there was a mod called "Purple Alert" that doubled the enjoyment of RAII. I bet its still out there. Loved those snipers. :yep:

Oberon
10-23-05, 06:49 AM
"I love to camp!"

"Helium mix optimal!"

"Watch out for de bumps!!"

:up:

Syxx_Killer
10-23-05, 08:21 AM
Lost the link a long time ago but there was a mod called "Purple Alert" that doubled the enjoyment of RAII. I bet its still out there.

Thanks, I'll check it out. There is a cool mod that you may want to check out. It is called Blitzkrieg. It is a total WWII mod for Yuri's Revenge. I remember trying an early version of the mod and it was good. This version (2.0) should be quite good.

http://www.planetcnc.com/features/reviews/blitzkrieg/

As far as RTS games go, this is the only one I want. Even for how old it is, I'll take it over anything new. Generals was ok, but there were no naval units and I love naval battles. There are still rumors of a RA3 going around. I hope something like that does develop.

"I love to camp!"

"Helium mix optimal!"

"Watch out for de bumps!!"

I love those little audio reports. They never get old. :rotfl:

Type941
10-23-05, 06:36 PM
After mocking around with numerous pixelish 2d games, a break from it for a few years, C&C was my first 'grown up' real game, playing nicely on a 166pentium (anything I played before it was on IBM 286 machine, and than nothing - hence the break). So full of fond memories of that game, that woman voice, the intro videos and NOD vs ... whoever it was. :) Red Alert was ok, but to me the C&C remains the true classic... Man I enjoyed blocking them with sand bags and blasting with tanks, and bazuka troops and Orcs kicked arse.

Glad you got it going again, I don't have my disk anymore, as it was all lost after I had moved to another country.

Oberon
10-23-05, 06:38 PM
After mocking around with numerous pixelish 2d games, a break from it for a few years, C&C was my first 'grown up' real game, playing nicely on a 166pentium (anything I played before it was on IBM 286 machine, and than nothing - hence the break). So full of fond memories of that game, that woman voice, the intro videos and NOD vs ... whoever it was. :) Red Alert was ok, but to me the C&C remains the true classic... Man I enjoyed blocking them with sand bags and blasting with tanks, and bazuka troops and Orcs kicked arse.

Glad you got it going again, I don't have my disk anymore, as it was all lost after I had moved to another country.

Kane :up:

"Nuclear weapons launch detected.....unit lost, unit lost, unit lost, unit lost, unit lost...mission failed."
;) :-?

Type941
10-23-05, 06:45 PM
"Refinery Complete". :rock:

Oberon
10-23-05, 06:55 PM
"Silos needed."

First time I heard this on RA1...I went and brought a missile silo :damn:

TLAM Strike
10-23-05, 07:23 PM
"Our base is under attack." ;)

Syxx_Killer
10-23-05, 07:57 PM
"Silos needed."

First time I heard this on RA1...I went and brought a missile silo :damn:

:rotfl: :rotfl:

I remember that. That drove me absolutely crazy. Every other second I would hear "Silos needed." It seemed like no matter how often I built them it never helped. In the modifed rules file I did, I increased the silo capacity so it wasn't as bad. I remember the days well when I was so involved with modding the rules.ini file. I still have it on floppy, although it probably wouldn't work anymore. One of these days I may try and install RA1 with the Aftermath expansion again. The thing that drove me nuts about the game was the training of units. You couldn't queue up. I couldn't stand baby sitting the war factories. Ah, but those were good times. :yep: :lol:

I liked the "A-bomb launch detected" report. When I first played RA1, I thought building more missile siloes would let me launch more missiles. :lol: I only found out it wasted money. :oops:

I played the original C&C games, but have always been drawn more towards the Red Alert series.

Pigfish
10-23-05, 08:12 PM
"Helium mix optimal!"

Ahh the Kirovs. Used to make a fleet of 6 or more and send them in when ready. Along with MASSIVE ground, air and naval assault. Usually this would end the game. :rotfl:

It was all about timing. And massive fire power helped too.

then there was Generals with those pesky squids but loved those Auraras... :cool:

I always liked the fact that AI was too stupid to rebuild bridges once they were blown. :smug:

Torpedo Fodder
10-23-05, 09:04 PM
Lost the link a long time ago but there was a mod called "Purple Alert" that doubled the enjoyment of RAII. I bet its still out there.

Thanks, I'll check it out. There is a cool mod that you may want to check out. It is called Blitzkrieg. It is a total WWII mod for Yuri's Revenge. I remember trying an early version of the mod and it was good. This version (2.0) should be quite good.

Just as a side note, Blitzkrieg 2.0 and later are for Generals and the latest versions are for the Zero Hour expansion pack. And although Genrals doesn't currently have a very sophisticated naval ccombat system (ships appaear in some missions, but you can't build more and control over them in limited), the Bitzkrieg team is planning on adding naval combat to the Generals version of the mod, at which point they'll add a Japanese side to it.

http://www.derelictstudios.net/blitz2/index.php?

But anyway, I liked most of the C&C games, and have a soft spot for the old ones. But Generals has it's charms too: Although I'd say the USA side is overall most effective, the Chinese side was the most fun, what with their Overlord tanks and propensity for flame-based weapons and nukes. I also got a kick out of their "Nationalism" upgrade, propaganda speaker tower, and "Hoarde bonus".

Also, in Generals, building more nuke silos (or any other superweapon) does in fact allow you to use more of them at the same time :yep:.

Syxx_Killer
10-23-05, 09:28 PM
"Helium mix optimal!"

Ahh the Kirovs. Used to make a fleet of 6 or more and send them in when ready. Along with MASSIVE ground, air and naval assault. Usually this would end the game. :rotfl:

It was all about timing. And massive fire power helped too.

then there was Generals with those pesky squids but loved those Auraras... :cool:

Those Kirovs are awesome. When you get them three chevrons, they are super. Just don't chase down a tank with them. :rotfl:

Were there squids in Generals? I played the game, but only a few skirmishes. I don't have it.

Just as a side note, Blitzkrieg 2.0 and later are for Generals and the latest versions are for the Zero Hour expansion pack.

The website must be wrong then. I had forgot about the Generals mod. Maybe that's why the RA2 Blitzkrieg mod was pretty much abandoned.

Pigfish
10-23-05, 09:53 PM
Im showing my age. I think the squids (and porpoises) were from Yuris. :oops:

Going waaay back in the C&C series, not sure which one but I think the one with the green fuel eating garbage trucks-does anyone remember those discus throwing guys? Damn they were hard to max out veterancy.

Or the andriod-even after battle with half a body left-you could still max out his veterancy? :cool:

Torpedo Fodder
10-23-05, 11:05 PM
Going waaay back in the C&C series, not sure which one but I think the one with the green fuel eating garbage trucks-does anyone remember those discus throwing guys? Damn they were hard to max out veterancy.

Or the andriod-even after battle with half a body left-you could still max out his veterancy? :cool:

That was from Tiberian Sun, the sequal (from a storywise perspective, that is) to the original Command & Conquer, which was retroactivly given the subtitle Tiberian Dawn after TibSun was released. Westwood was apparently going to make a final installment to the C&C "Tiberium" series which would have been called Tiberian Twilight, and this would have dealt more with the origins of Tiberium, including the mysterius alien race whose crashed spaceship we saw in Tiberian Sun. Although it had barely got started when Westwood closed it's doors, it does appear as if EA plans to persue this in the future given the concept art for it that has been trickling onto the Internet. Even if this is so, it will be long-delayed as EA has all-but-confirmed that they're planning to develop a Red Alert 3.

retired1212
10-24-05, 03:32 AM
"Yes thar"
"Affermetif"

Mammoth tanks in RA1 were great. :oops:

Type941
10-25-05, 04:57 AM
"affermativ" :rotfl:

So, RA 3? Hmm... To be honest, I'm just no longer into strategy, though I was the biggest fan some years back, with AOE, AOK, AOKTC, Starcraft, and of course the best in strategy, the Total War series, especially Medieval and Total War (a gem of a game).

For some reason, I'm only interested in racing sims and subsims lately, though I wouldn't mind a game of pc tennis if they manage to make it good and challenging - Top Spin was too easy, though great looking.

Polak
10-25-05, 10:36 AM
My Turn :P

"There's going to be a silent spring" - Iraqi Desalator

"There goes the neighborhood" - Iraqi Des, or Crazy Ivan don't remeber.

"Here you have a hot papaya" - Cuban terrorist

Can someone guess who this is?

"There's nothing I cannot do" :D

Syxx_Killer
10-25-05, 10:50 AM
Can someone guess who this is?

"There's nothing I cannot do" :D

Yeah, it's funny, really, because the dolt cannot even swim. :huh: :lol:

Or how about these:

"The water's warm, yes?"

"Good fishing here."

"I love my boat."

"They won't detect our approach."

"Running silent"

"Dis one will be a sinker."

"Building Soviet economy."

"Equal amount for everyone."

"They pose a threat."

"Eradicate them."

A couple favorites:

"Charge up da wizzers!"

"Time for a lead stitching."

Oberon
10-25-05, 11:01 AM
ROCKETEER:"I can go anywhere!"
ME:"Ok...go over the enemy base then!"

Less than a minute later

FLAKTROOPER:"Flaktrooper reportink!"
ROCKETEER: "Aaaaaaaaaaaaagh!"
EVA: "Unit lost."

Pigfish
10-25-05, 05:18 PM
Or in Generals...when you click on the 'Mob' from the PLA.

I loved it. Darn near CNN. :-j

Torpedo Fodder
10-25-05, 09:03 PM
Or in Generals...when you click on the 'Mob' from the PLA.

I loved it. Darn near CNN. :-j

Yeah, the GLA mobs were pretty fun to use, surprisingliy effective too, especially after you outfit them with AK47s. Also, when you're playing as China against the GLA, it's very fun to use Dragon flame tanks against them.

"Drown them in flames!" :arrgh!:

Crash Dive
10-26-05, 01:15 PM
"Time to rock n' roll"

:rock:

Polak
10-26-05, 02:37 PM
"Who's your daddy?"

I just loved the SEAL guys :D

Wim Libaers
10-29-05, 08:43 AM
I remember that. That drove me absolutely crazy. Every other second I would hear "Silos needed." It seemed like no matter how often I built them it never helped.

Well, the right response to that message is not to build more silos, but to build more units. Once you have a few ore or tiberium silos, you should have storage space for enough credits to pay for any unit. So build it, you're not really supposed to stockpile your resources, make and stockpile units instead if you have excess resources.

That was from Tiberian Sun, the sequal (from a storywise perspective, that is) to the original Command & Conquer, which was retroactivly given the subtitle Tiberian Dawn after TibSun was released. Westwood was apparently going to make a final installment to the C&C "Tiberium" series which would have been called Tiberian Twilight, and this would have dealt more with the origins of Tiberium, including the mysterius alien race whose crashed spaceship we saw in Tiberian Sun. Although it had barely got started when Westwood closed it's doors, it does appear as if EA plans to persue this in the future given the concept art for it that has been trickling onto the Internet. Even if this is so, it will be long-delayed as EA has all-but-confirmed that they're planning to develop a Red Alert 3.

A spaceship was in C&C Renegade (FPS game) too, but not very spectacular on the inside.

Oberon
10-29-05, 09:12 AM
There was a small spaceship in Tiberium Dawn, looked very similar to the Nod Banshee (I loved those), on one of the maps...can't remember which one.
:up:

Iceman
10-31-05, 02:50 AM
I got it to work .....on my duaghters PB 133 mhz lol....for the life of me I could not get that dang game to work on my machine...but but sons comp that only has XP SP1 he plays it np....for Mother Russisa....Lock n Load lol....How bout some action...what a cool lil game...It did install but not playable....but from there I could install Yuri's revenge and play that...weird....I gave up on this machine playing it.

kiwi_2005
11-03-05, 08:35 AM
A C&C Clone i played this yr is "Act Of War". Simular to Generals but more realistic looking units. Bloody addictive like the C&C series. Good campaign and they even brought back the ingame movie cuts. Quite a good game for anyone hanging out for another generals.

5gigs of space is needed though.