PDA

View Full Version : Joystick: WingMan Force 3D problem

retired1212
10-22-05, 01:47 AM
Anybody here owns WingMan Force 3D?

I recently bought Falcon 4.0, and the problem is I can't keep my plane in a line. I mean if I leave my joystick, the plane points its nose to down by 5 - 10 degrees. In short, I have problems with the center of joystick. I had the same problems in LOMAC as well.

I am curious to know if anybody else have the same problem or is it only me?

Kapitan
10-22-05, 07:49 AM
i had this stick its the games that are the problems not the stick but it is advisable to keep your hand on the stick while flying.

Hellcat
10-22-05, 10:32 AM
I had the same stick a while back, you can reduce this issue by increasing the dead zone of the stick while increasing the sensitivity at the outer range of motion.

TLAM Strike
10-22-05, 12:45 PM
To add on to what Hellcat said in some games this is called the 'Null Zone'.

XabbaRus
10-22-05, 03:27 PM
How old is your stick. I had a Logitech Wingman a few years back and after about 6 months it started going off centre. No matter what I did it couldn't be cured. Turned out the potentiometers were fading.

My advice is if you can afford it get a new stick, like a Saitek

I have a Saitek Cyborg Evo and love it.

TLAM Strike
10-22-05, 03:44 PM
XabbaRus I currently own a Wingman and have the same problem. The only way to use it is to calibrate it every time my computer starts and have a generous dead zone. Yep new joystick time indeed. :yep:

Syxx_Killer
10-22-05, 08:19 PM
You might also want to try a Microsoft SideWinder joystick. I got one back in 1998 after having a Logitech Wingman for a short period. I have put the SideWinder stick through so much. It has been used quite harshly. Now, I don't play flight sims much anymore, if at all. The stick still works like new. It is very rugged. I don't have a steering wheel or gamepad (well I used to have both but they no longer work :oops: ), so I may use the stick sometimes for other types of games. With the twisting feature, it is surprisingly easy to play driving games with. That stick has literally been through hell and back. It was money very well spent. I haven't had any joysticks since and I don't see myself getting a new one as long as "Old Faithful" still works. :lol:

Kapitan
10-23-05, 01:45 AM
saitek ST90 ive found is the best so far

retired1212
10-24-05, 03:36 AM
How old is your stick. I had a Logitech Wingman a few years back and after about 6 months it started going off centre. No matter what I did it couldn't be cured. Turned out the potentiometers were fading.

It is around 8 months old, and I have the same problem as you have.

The other thing I observed is when the plane is at maximum G, and when the joystick goes "crazy" (100% Force Feedback set) then the controls don't respond. This situation was solved to some extend, not completly, when I set the Force Feedback to 20%

retired1212
10-24-05, 03:36 AM
You might also want to try a Microsoft SideWinder joystick. I got one back in 1998 after having a Logitech Wingman for a short period. I have put the SideWinder stick through so much. It has been used quite harshly. Now, I don't play flight sims much anymore, if at all. The stick still works like new. It is very rugged. I don't have a steering wheel or gamepad (well I used to have both but they no longer work :oops: ), so I may use the stick sometimes for other types of games. With the twisting feature, it is surprisingly easy to play driving games with. That stick has literally been through hell and back. It was money very well spent. I haven't had any joysticks since and I don't see myself getting a new one as long as "Old Faithful" still works. :lol:

In this case, maybe I should try to find old Commodore 64 joystick :D

retired1212
10-24-05, 03:38 AM
saitek ST90 ive found is the best so far

Thanks for the recommendation. I also read that many people were pissed off on Wingman 3D. SAITEK has many positive opinions, and maybe I will buy one in a month or so.

Bellman
10-24-05, 06:21 AM
:) Yep - I have the Wingman Force 3D working fine both on Freefalcon3 and Falcon4 Allied Force.

Can only suggest updating the drivers from Logitech - that did the trick for me.

Good flying. ;)

Kresge
10-24-05, 02:04 PM
Yeah, same problem with mine too. I've had two of them and both had centering problems after a while. I also have a Thurstmaster Fox 2. It works as well as the Wingman digital, but I've always liked the layout of the button on the Wingman.

Hellcat
10-24-05, 02:52 PM
Alright lets be honest here, I've owned 3 different verisons of the wingman series from logitech. Each stick suffered from the centering problem... Why did I buy 3? Because they are the cheapest/best (at the time mind you) joystick avalible. Now I currently own a Saitek X45 and can not be more happy. Logitech is a good company as far as mice, speakers and keyboards are concerned but avoid their sticks. I've now sold my wingman extreme digital 3d and am currently using the wingman attack on my backup system for the good olde games :)

If you have the money it'd be ideal to go out and buy a CH Products stick. They produce the best joystick before going to the high end all metal cougar line from TM.

I don't think this breaks the rules as they are a hardware retailer... they have the best price for the CH hardware.
http://www.provantage.com/buy-110CHPU-ch-shopping.htm

Bellman
10-25-05, 08:17 AM
:) I cant take issue with CH Products beeing the benchmark for quality and functionality.
If you seek the ultimate in 'knobology' you cant go wrong.

I find the Logitech's 12 buttons (with shifting) adequate and ditching the 'childish' 'rumble effects the pre-stall
tremors can be a life-saver particularly with WW2 aircraft.
If you value your cash and have a Wingman Force 3D get the updated drivers and she wont let you down. :rock:

Somebody mentioned the MS Sidewinder which is pretty sweet still but hampered by limited functionality.

retired1212
10-26-05, 08:48 AM
If you value your cash and have a Wingman Force 3D get the updated drivers and she wont let you down. :rock:

Already done and still no improvement. :shifty:

Bellman
10-27-05, 12:10 PM
Ok youve got Direct X 9.0c ?
Run dxdiag and knock-off hardware assistance. Check for problems.

Before entering game run Enditall make sure you have cut your Firewall, Anti-Virus prog. and GoBack (if there)
Go into Control Panel - game Controllers- make sure the Logitechis the selected controller and status ''OK'' Next properties and set up the buttons etc. In game set up the controller.

Still in the mire ?
The only other thing I can think of is to re-install the Logitech software again but only after uninstalling
and checking via Regedit that you have no Logitech entries. I seem to remember sepeaate entries for the
stick and its 'application'** control. Then install the update/patch.

Dont install the extra 'application'** software (**Title escapes me) - just the basic set-up.

If this doesnt do the trick - Xmas is comeing !!

Hellcat
10-27-05, 01:19 PM
Very important questions... how old is the stick? Does anyone who uses it beat the crap outta it?

It's most likely that the stick is simply worn out. The POTS start to wear and will never be set to normal again. Basically the stick will be very muddled in the center region. The only solution is to...

1) replace the POTS in the joystick. (I don't even think you can do that to a logitech)

2) replace the stick

3) increase the dead zone/null zone of the stick significantly.

4) along with "3" decrease the stick senseitivity in the center area.

I cannot see how updated drivers will solve issues when it is a mechanical issue...

Bellman
10-27-05, 10:49 PM
Hell- Not ''when'' but if it is a mechanical issue.

1.I still own a very old serviceable MS Sidewinder which played up many times after installing new flight sims.
Software and null zone adjustments were 100% effective.

2. Ditto Logitech.

3. Fault symptoms exhibited with both - either a pull to one side , a wander or completely dead.

retired1212
10-27-05, 11:32 PM
Thanks Hellcat and Ballman. I will try these tips when I will be at home.

Wim Libaers
10-29-05, 07:30 AM
If you have the money it'd be ideal to go out and buy a CH Products stick. They produce the best joystick before going to the high end all metal cougar line from TM.

Getting a similar CH setup as the Cougar (whih would mean a Fighterstick and a Pro Throttle), the price will be quite similar, I've even seen the Cougar being sold for a bit less. Then you'd have to complete the system with pedals (for F-16 it's not so critical as rudder control isn't as important as in many other sims).

However, a CH stick can be expected to be more reliable than a standard Cougar (there are some production issues in many Cougars, and some parts wear out quickly). There are some hardware updates to change some of the internal parts of a Cougar (including one that uses force sensors instead of moving parts), but that would double the price.

The MS Sidewinder sticks are reasonable if you don't use much buttons. Some models were very reliable. Drawback: they aren't made anymore, so you'll probably have to find second hand devices.