PDA

View Full Version : How many people use SH3Commander? What do you like about it?

Beery
10-19-05, 01:45 AM
I think it's hands down the best mod you can get for this game. I think everyone should at least have tried it, as it adds so much content to the game. But then again, I may be biased.

So if you use it, please tell us why you like it. Tell us which of its features really stand out, or which ones make a big difference to your game.

Thanks.

Marhkimov
10-19-05, 02:03 AM
My #1 reason to love SH3Cmdr... It is very intuitive and user friendly... from the interface, I can do all of my dirty changes (i.e. patrol grid, u-boat number, water murkiness, etc.), which is really nice. I could edit the cfg files myself, but why when SH3Cmdr can do it for me?

I love the news reports. It somewhat makes me feel that there is a real war being fought, and I'm not just some lone sub cruising in the Atlantic... Even though it is true... ;)

I like how the newest version inserts specific lines into basic.cfg and en_menu.cfg. One day, if I ever feel like making my own file mods, I can use SH3Cmdr to do so. That is a nice feature...

I also like the rollback feature. Easy to use, and easy to revert back.

And personnel Files that are done in HTML format... AWESOME! It's great that my captain actually has a history... and possibly a future if he happens to make it through the war! :lol:

Very good program :up: :up:

Gizzmoe
10-19-05, 02:24 AM
For me the best feature is "realistic crew transfers".

Pkunzipper
10-19-05, 02:24 AM
First of all it bring immersion in your campaign and commander to another level!

Very good the options, where you can customize some of the most important game variables.

Really a "Must Try" for everyone :yep:

Lane
10-19-05, 02:54 AM
All of the above :D I like the Milk Cow mod Just have taken on fuel
twice in port. EL Farrol and Las Palmas never try it at sea yet :D
I need to find me something to attack so I can go get some more
supplys I am having a dry spell can't find any contacts sonar or Visual :D been out 30 days and still have 14 fish on my V11c
I like the New Commander
Lane :rock:

FERdeBOER
10-19-05, 02:54 AM
The inmersion. You feel much in a war.

The easy way to usei it.

Heffalump
10-19-05, 03:08 AM
I use it and like it very much.

One great thing is that it adds a bit of modularity to some of the mods. (For example, if I don't like the Fatigue model of RUB or deck gun rates, etc, I can edit them myself.)

I really like the Edit Days Between Patrol feature, and the news clips.

I see it as a great tool for managing the game outside of the game, if you know what I mean.

Some things on my wish list (don't know if they're possible)...

*option to start the first patrol in the Baltic, or Norway. You then break into the north sea, do your patrol, and end it at your flotilla base.

*edit renown. I get disgruntled when the game doesn't give me the renown for reaching my patrol grid because I ran out of torpedos on the way.

Teufelschiff
10-19-05, 07:35 AM
My admiration for the modders and appreciation for CMDR 2.2, IUB, and RUB is somtimes difficult to put into words. Simply stated, I can't imagine being without them and there are far too many positive features to list. Thank you for the immersion in this SHIII world. "Keep up the good work."

Redwine
10-19-05, 07:41 AM
Not user here, the reason is i like to watch what i am installing in the game, and many mods are not compatible.

Normally i make personalized version of the mods according with previous mods installed.

If i cant do it, i do not install the mod.

tedhealy
10-19-05, 09:39 AM
Hands down the captain personnel file for me, followed by the realistic career length and crew transfers. I also like the random tonnage and differing ship camo/paint schemes. I also like...heck, I like the whole thing.

Beery
10-19-05, 10:04 AM
Not user here, the reason is i like to watch what i am installing in the game, and many mods are not compatible.

SH3 Commander should be compatible with any other mod.

Normally i make personalized version of the mods according with previous mods installed.

If i cant do it, i do not install the mod.

SH3 Commander is not a mod that installs into SH3. It's more like a tool that allows you to both configure the game and install mods that normally would not work in the game. Nothing from SH3 Commander ever stays in SH3 for more than one patrol.

SH3 Commander gives players more control over the game, and it gives SH3 additional features. Now that SH3 Commander is compatible with all mods I don't see any reason not to try it. SH3 Commander is the one mod for which fear of incompatibility is not an issue.

wetwarev7
10-19-05, 10:08 AM
You know, I've never been able to successfully download the thing. I keep getting corrupt files. This is my second time today trying to get this newest version.

I would definatly like to try it out, so I'll just keep trying. Where else can I try downloading it from? I know of the other thread and your site, is there anywhere else I can get it?

Beery
10-19-05, 10:26 AM
You know, I've never been able to successfully download the thing. I keep getting corrupt files. This is my second time today trying to get this newest version.

I would definatly like to try it out, so I'll just keep trying. Where else can I try downloading it from? I know of the other thread and your site, is there anywhere else I can get it?

My site is the most stable place you're likely to find for it. The files are up there, they're intact, and if you're having problems downloading it from my site chances are you'll have even more problems elsewhere. At 30MB (40+ for the installer version) it's a hefty file, so I advise using Getright (a program that prevents data loss and stalls in downloads). It's available here: http://www.getright.com/.

wetwarev7
10-19-05, 10:34 AM

My site is the most stable place you're likely to find for it. The files are up there, they're intact, and if you're having problems downloading it from my site chances are you'll have even more problems elsewhere. At 30MB (40+ for the installer version) it's a hefty file, so I advise using Getright (a program that prevents data loss and stalls in downloads). It's available here: http://www.getright.com/.

I just now got one that works! :up:

Too bad I'm at work....I really really really wanna go home and use it.......maybe you can whip up a mod that makes my boss think I'm still at work? I tried making a mod with paper mache and balloons, but despite the fact that it works just as hard as me, my boss wasn't fooled for a second.... :rotfl:

Wolfram
10-19-05, 10:46 AM
...Too bad I'm at work....I really really really wanna go home and use it.......maybe you can whip up a mod that makes my boss think I'm still at work? I tried making a mod with paper mache and balloons, but despite the fact that it works just as hard as me, my boss wasn't fooled for a second.... :rotfl:

LOL wetwarev7...same problem here :yep:

Beery for me its almost a throw back to '98 - '99 RBII/3D days when all those first UOP flooded out - what a blast it was to tweak and remodel game and persona; then & now...One word for me sums it = flexiblity, have to return to port to try out your latest version; been using 'em since you started posting 'em...

:lurk:

Redwine
10-19-05, 11:40 AM
You dont understand me Beery.....
I do not like Mods Installers.....

I like to watch what thing i am installing. Mod installers can overwrite your files. I am not saying SH3 Commander is not compatible with some mods, the matter is it can install a determined mod not compatible with other mods installed.

Just an opinion, anyway, i forget to give lot of thanks for effort to the owner of that mod, i do not know who is, but i give thanks for the effort, sorry.

Beery
10-19-05, 11:49 AM
You dont understand me Beery.....
I do not like Mods Installers...

I also loathe mod installers. That's why we offer SH3 Commander with an installer AND without. Besides, this mod goes exactly where you want it even if you use the installer. It doesn't reside in the SH3 directory structure anyway, so you get to inspect it before you use it. You have complete control, because until you use it to launch SH3 it overwrites nothing. Installing it doesn't affect any game files at all, and you can inspect each file in the mod to make sure that they don't conflict with anything.

When you set it in motion it does overwrite some files, but it's not a mod you can install permanently, so installing it manually is not possible. The files never stay in the game. SH3 Commander installs them only when you use it to launch the game, and it automatically removes them afterwards if you want to go back to the game's previous state. It also automatically removes each set of files before loading the next set for a new session. None of SH3 Commander's files stay in the game.

Clearly you're not understanding how this mod works, because there is no way that it can permanently overwrite anything. The point of the mod is that every file it installs is only temporary. Take the Newsmod for example - each news briefing only applies to one specific month. These reports only get loaded on the specific date they are needed. To do this manually would require choosing between 150+ date-based files and loading the two files that applied to the date before every single patrol. SH3 Commander simply automates this so that you don't have to. After the patrol the files are removed and the old versions are put back in, all automatically.

Gasman
10-19-05, 11:58 AM
Don't use it. Is it any good :)

Marhkimov
10-19-05, 12:16 PM
I do not like Mods Installers.....

Same here, but I still use SH3Cmdr.

If you carefully inspect all of Cmdr's files, as I do, you can actually control what it does to your SH3. For instance, if you don't like a certain tweek or file, just delete it and it won't be installed. So that is to say that although Cmdr autonomously alters your SH3, you are actually in full control of Cmdr.

I hope you get what I am saying...

Crash Dive
10-19-05, 12:20 PM
I like that I can start a career in any month and year I want. :rock:

Akula Osis
10-19-05, 12:22 PM
I like to track what I have done with a Persona and chat it up with my buddies, SHIII Commander brings it all together.

:up:

Beery
10-19-05, 12:33 PM
Don't use it. Is it any good :)

In my view, players who don't use it are basically playing a beta version of the game. SH3 Commander makes SH3 all it can be, and more.

Any one of the following exclusive features would be reason enough to get the mod:

Commander pictures. No other mod can do this.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/Beery/SH3C11.jpg

Dynamic news updates and war maps. No other mod can do this.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/Beery/SH3C22.jpg

Expanded options.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/Beery/SH3C33.jpg

The commander history. No other mod can do this.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/Beery/Career1.jpg

Plus, start a career in any month of any year of the war, from September 1939 to May 1945. No other mod can do this.

In my view the html commander history alone should make this mod one of the most popular mods for any game ever made. I love having a commander with a real life. It astounds me that so few people have tried this mod.

wetwarev7
10-19-05, 12:40 PM
It's basically a tool to help you manually install mods and tweaks, with a bunch of cool stuff added, right?

CCIP
10-19-05, 12:45 PM
It's basically a tool to help you manually install mods and tweaks, with a bunch of cool stuff added, right?

Not really. The tweaks have made their way in for convinience though.

It's a tool designed to 'liven up' the game, so to say, to add a whole set of both random and historically-based variables in, and to give your captain a better sense of career.

It keeps track of your career in the game, implements adjustments to game data based on both random values and historical dates, and allows you more control over certain features. Among other things, it also gives you a brand new crew generator and editor, which is fantastic.

Beery
10-19-05, 12:46 PM

It's a tool that automatically installs certain mods, and it includes a bunch of mods that couldn't be added to the game without it.

wetwarev7
10-19-05, 12:54 PM
so to say, to add a whole set of both random and historically-based variables in,

I like it allready..... :up:

Sailor Steve
10-19-05, 01:21 PM
I've been using Commander 2 for a while now, thanks to someone sending me a copy. Don't have the newest one yet, but I'm very happy with the features I do have. Beery's description with pictures says it all. It's one of the top three mods as far as I'm concerned (Rubini's Harbor Traffic is #2 in my opinion, and RUB #3).

Commander doesn't just make the game, it makes your career! :rock:

kiwi_2005
10-19-05, 02:32 PM
I dont use it, it causes crashes, "memory errors" I do use the RUB mod though.

Beery
10-19-05, 02:57 PM
I dont use it, it causes crashes, "memory errors"

I don't see how it could. It's as tight as a drum. If it was causing crashes many people would be complaining about it. So far as we can tell, all the problems attributed to it are caused by bugs in the standard game.

Twelvefield
10-19-05, 03:04 PM
Great Moons of Krypton, Beery!

First I find out that we share the same birthday.

Now, I see at the top of your Kapitan's list... Ernst Neumann. Ernst Neumann was the name of my wife's late Grandfather on her Dad's side!

So, I guess my biggest complaint about Commander is that it doesn't come with a hyperlink to a good Existential Detective (you have to have watched "I (Heart) Huckabees" to get that reference, though. http://www.tribute.ca/synopsis.asp?m_id=7759 )

My other complaint is purely cosmetic: I find the white text on blue background and the sans-serif fonts a little too "modern". I would think that a good, clear Germanic font would look more timely, as would a typewriter font for the bulk of the text.

This is one of the font sites I use the most:

http://www.fontreactor.com/browse.php?accio=top&lang=en

So with the bad stuff out of the way, I will get to the ongoing concerns I have:

Ever since installing Commander, I've had these really short careers of one or two sailings. I don't think that's Commander's fault, it's getting into mid-1942, and I just keep getting killed. So, I've long since run out of original Kaleun and crew names, so I like having Commander do the naming.

What I don't get are the medals. Maybe I've missed something in the Read Me, but it seems as though I could use Commander to just give any medal to any crew that I wanted before every mission. I normally rely on RUB to tell SHIII what medals, etc. are to be awarded, and do that in-game. With these really short careers I've been getting, I'm embarrassed to admit that I haven't had a sortie in quite a while where either I or the game thought that medals were deserved.

As for the good stuff in Commander, yes there's a lot of it! The best part is the installation -- it's a stand-alone program that doesn't mess with SHIII. Yet it integrates really well with the game, and the ability to tweak the game in the Commander interface is a very nice touch. All of the features of Commander that I have tried so far have run smoothly and witholut any problem. I have yet to try the automatic update feature, but if it works as advertised, then that would be a bonus as well.

The whole Commander set-up really does extend the immersion factor of SHIII, it's a most highly commendable mod!

Beery
10-19-05, 03:07 PM
For those posting (or thinking of posting) "I don't use it, I don't like it, it doesn't work!" (i.e. overwhelmingly negative) posts:

Just a quick request to please keep the thread on topic. This thread is really to buoy us up because we feel we're running out of steam a bit. If you have negative comments, please post them somewhere else. This is not supposed to be a 'let's hear all your opinions even if you don't like the mod' thread. It's a shameless call for cheerleaders to help us to keep working. That doesn't mean I'm looking for all praise and no criticism at all, but please at least use the mod and generally be of the opinion that it's good.

Beery
10-19-05, 03:17 PM
My other complaint is purely cosmetic: I find the white text on blue background and the sans-serif fonts a little too "modern". I would think that a good, clear Germanic font would look more timely, as would a typewriter font for the bulk of the text.

Hehe, while it's true that there are lots of great fonts available, unfortunately the good ones cost $$, and we're doing this for free. We looked for good free fonts - Germanic and typewriter fonts, but none were quite perfect, so we went with the best of what we could get. I'll take a look on that site you recommend and see if something better can be found.

On the medals thing, the option to award medals exists for those times when the game won't award 'em but you feel strongly that they are deserved. There is no way to do this without giving the player great latitude.

jaxa
10-19-05, 03:23 PM
First time I used it for included MerchantVarietyPack, now it has many useful options like deck gun reload time or random German names of my crew.
RUb/HT and SH3Commander is "must have" for me now.

Rubini
10-19-05, 03:23 PM
Hi guys,

After the last 4 months working with the stock gaming to do the HT mod (you know, moders have few time to really play the game...) now I'm back to play. SH3 Cmdr is the best thing that i experience for SH3. This "mod" really makes SH3 a new game. And have a great potencial to do more and more for SH3. So, if you still don't get it, go on! A new game is awaiting for you. :up: :rock: :up:

Rubini.

kiwi_2005
10-19-05, 03:29 PM
I don't see how it could. It's as tight as a drum. If it was causing crashes many people would be complaining about it. So far as we can tell, all the problems attributed to it are caused by bugs in the standard game.

I hear what your saying berry and your probably 100% right, but i did get pain in the ass memory errors when ever i used commander. I use to have memory errors with the RUB mod as well but with the 1.44 thats history i can play the rub but not the commander. And yup i believe your mod is tight as a drum cause you guys create good mods. i too am at a lost why i get it cos ive been looking around the thread for others that might have the same problem but have found none.

HEMISENT
10-19-05, 03:36 PM
I've been using SH3 Commander, RUB & HT since the very first versions were introduced. In my opinion these are the three greatest mods out there. They have truly made this game into what it could have / should have been from the beginning.
I love the profile generated by Commander plus all the additional tweaks such as crew transfers, career length, days in port etc.

Have never been able to get crew promotions & qualifications to work but that's a topic for a different forum.

In short: I LOVE YOUR MODS - DON'T STOP!

baxter
10-19-05, 03:38 PM
There's nothing about it I don't like, but here are the things that mean the most to me:
Personnel files...I was keeping track of everything on my own until the 1st Commander came out. I love having this done automatically and better than I can
Realistic Career Length...this adds so much to the realism, allows realistic camparrison to patrols of real aces, etc
Being Able to Change Patrol Grid...this was the answer to something that really bugged me in the game...I hated getting a patrol assigned off the coast of Ireland when I was in an IXC in 1944 (very unrealistic, and many other examples). Now I consult Uboat.net and come up with a realistic patrol assignment for every patrol.
Control over Days in Port...again because it adds more realism...I usually use random days option but can set the number if I have a reason I want to.
Extended Fuel Endurance for Type VIIs to Simulate Milch Cows...once again, this brings more realism. I don't use the Milk Cow Mod because I don't want every refuel to be the start of a new patrol...

Actually, I could keep going, but I'm at work so I better end. This game would hold no interest for me anymore if it weren't for RUb and SH3 Commander. I really appreciate all your effort and willingness to share these mods with everyone.[/u]

coronas
10-19-05, 04:54 PM
Flexibility and the real long careers. I love the history after my career...

Von Scheerbach
10-19-05, 05:15 PM
Beery, I think that last massive post pretty much said it all.

Let's just say I never installed a mod myself until SH3 Commander came out. The fact that it copied several other mods down, and you could roll back with the click of a button were what got me more than the commander history stuff.

But you & Jaesen (and the people who wrote the mods you incorporate) went over the top with v2, and now 2.2. You've got me right in the middle of a patrol, so I'm ticked I can't upgrade to it NOW!!!!

A big thumbs up to you guys! :up:

By the way, I also now use IuB. And I don't know that I really need anything else but those two. It would be hard to top.

vois2
10-19-05, 07:22 PM
I ignored the development of Commander for at least a month when it was initially being talked about and developed. I didn't pursue it because of what some others had originally talked about as being 'superficial' changes to the game. Wow, was that criticism wrong!

I finally jumped on after Commander 2.1 had been out for a couple of weeks. My jaw dropped when I first loaded it and realized what it could do for my gameplay.

So thank you for all the hard work. It really changes the game completely and all in positive ways. It's like walking up to the ATM and pulling out my wallet, only to find out that the Sultan of Brunei's debit card somehow ended up in place of my ATM card ... and I've got his PIN number, too.

It's scary what you guys have done to improve this game without an SDK available to you. The concept of this 'mod' and the programming behind it are genius.

Beery
10-19-05, 08:14 PM
I...It's scary what you guys have done to improve this game without an SDK available to you. The concept of this 'mod' and the programming behind it are genius.

Thanks! I'm sure Jaesen will appreciate that as much as I do. That also applies to all of these wonderful supportive posts. I never expected to get such a positive response from the mod's fans, especially since the SH3 Commander mod has tended to be met with some suspicion in the wider community (well that's the impression I've got anyway).

Anyway, don't let me stop all the praise. We need as much as people are willing to give (shameless solicitation, LOL), as we've both been going through a bit of doubt recently about the mod's popularity.

joea
10-20-05, 04:40 AM
Doubt? No way dude!!!!! Will never play SH3 without SH3 commander again! Heck even when I just play single missions I use it....just means exiting and loading up again as I like to play at least 2 per session, unless they are two missions in the same time frame/boat.

My feelings about this mod: :up: :rock: :sunny: :|\

Teufelschiff
10-20-05, 09:57 AM
...This thread is really to buoy us up because we feel we're running out of steam a bit. It's a shameless call for cheerleaders to help us to keep working...

A good shot in the arm is certainly understandable and well deserved. I am a complete tech-noob and couldn't even BEGIN to imagine the hours spent and the files and code and testing and tweaking and testing.

Look, I'm proud that I can place a picture in an email. I'm pretty G.Damn darn astounded that I launch my butt-kicking interfaced CMDR, tweak this and that and it's go time.

The work being done by this community is priceless.

wetwarev7
10-20-05, 10:06 AM
The work being done by this community is priceless.

I second that! :up:

Modders are a valuable asset to any gaming community. I thought SH3 was really good when I first got it, but now I can't imagine playing it without Rub and SHCommander

Beery
10-20-05, 10:09 AM
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Hehe, I love that!

Sailor Steve
10-20-05, 12:30 PM
For those posting (or thinking of posting) "I don't use it, I don't like it, it doesn't work!" (i.e. overwhelmingly negative) posts:
I DO use it, I DO like (read love) it, and it works great! So there!
I've found myself taking the pre-game career notes and adding my own. One of my captains entered the Ubootwaffe at the start of his career, another spent several years in destroyers before transferring and a third spent time as a junior instructor at the training acadamy. My changes, but thanks to you guys for the inspiration.

Can't wait until I get the version that does automatic transfers. Right now I roll a die to see if the guy is transferred after Commander offers the choice.

SHIII Commander :rock:

Ginger Beer
10-20-05, 02:33 PM
Okay, that does it...I'm going to d/l SH3 Commander. Got RUb 1.44 already, so I might as well go the whoe hog. Many thanks to you modders out there, your efforts are very much appreciated. :yep:

zoinks
10-20-05, 08:14 PM
played the game stock for a couple weeks to get familiar with everything. just started the mods a couple days ago and its a new game. using sh3 commander, rub1.44, ht for rub and internal life for openers...at 1600x1200.

sh3 commander is outstanding. been only a couple days but i will never stop using it. you've made alot of people happy and alot that have yet to discover this mod.

i'm back for more!

Kpt. Lehmann
10-20-05, 10:04 PM
My number one reason for liking SH3 Commander is that you don't have to use RUb to take advantage of it! LOL (JUST KIDDING!!!!) Stop freakin'

There is no way to nail down one favorite feature here. This is great stuff Jaeson... thanks millions!

:up: :up: :up:

Enfilade
10-20-05, 10:25 PM
If I didn't have SH3 Commander to look forward to, I don't think I could get up in the morning.

You guys are great!

BladeHeart
10-21-05, 05:59 AM
Whilst SH3Cmdr does improve the game play during patrols in various ways, for me its main attraction is on the way it develops a career. The personnel file, crew management and transfer aspects add a meaning to the individual patrols.

RUB perfects the a very good game, and especially when it in turn is supplimented by HT and IC.

Throw in a few graphic mods and I have a game that I am still enthusiastic about over 6 months after buying it. No other game has held my interest that long, or encourages to discover more about the topic it is based upon; no even RTW.

HKreutzkopf
10-21-05, 06:06 AM
Yes, I'm using it. Tried to test every aspect of this and the program worked as expected - very well, without any error or glitch.
A musthave addon for any SH player!

Akula Osis
10-21-05, 07:11 AM
no even RTW.

Please tell my you have looked at RTR v6.2 Mod for RTW, it is fantastic.

pampanito
10-21-05, 08:30 PM
Have been using Commander since it first appeared, and now can't imagine SH3 without it. When I joined WaW I also discoveredd the fine SH3 Companion which put names to the ships you sank, and found it also indispensable.
Now both Commander and Companion are joined... talk about wishes and dreams!

The latest version of Commander has opened a lot of new possibilities, everything looks now as customizable. Perhaps we will see still more parameters added in the future? I would like myself to see two things added which I find quite useful:
1. Maximum time compression. I know many people does not like it, but I have it set at 2048 because I am too impatient to cross long distances at 1024 or less.
2. Time compression when near land. It's agonizing slow to leave some French base when the time keeps returning to TC=1 as soon as land is in sight, I put this minimum at 8 and never had any problem, there is plenty of time to maneuver without hitting the coast.

I know these are minor issues, but I think the future of SH3 is steering towards standarization, and the possibility of preparing SH3 for play in just five steps:install the basic game, patch to 1.4b, install the Mod Enabler, activate RuB and launch Commander. That's all. At first I had a lot of mods enabled, but those I most liked have been progressively incorporated into RuB; now Commander is taking care of the remaining bits, and I feel I will soon using just RuB and Commander.

Beery
10-21-05, 08:39 PM
...I would like myself to see two things added which I find quite useful:
1. Maximum time compression. I know many people does not like it, but I have it set at 2048 because I am too impatient to cross long distances at 1024 or less.
2. Time compression when near land. It's agonizing slow to leave some French base when the time keeps returning to TC=1 as soon as land is in sight, I put this minimum at 8 and never had any problem, there is plenty of time to maneuver without hitting the coast...

Those are good suggestions. I'll mention them to Jaesen (actually he's probably following the thread). I also set 2048 for max time compress, and I set 32 for the TC near land. Usually, once one is proficient in the game, all the near land TC does is stop you from getting into and out of harbour fast.

JScones
10-21-05, 09:20 PM
I dont use it, it causes crashes, "memory errors"

Kiwi_2005, can you pls do us a favour and try the latest version of SH3Cmdr (r2.2) if you haven't already done so? I'd be curious to know whether the new copy method makes a difference for you.

I still think, from reading an earlier post of yours, that your anrivirus/spyware/firewall is interfering and the crashes are because they're letting SH3Cmdr copy some files across but not others (ie ones they think are malicious).

I find the white text on blue background and the sans-serif fonts a little too "modern". I would think that a good, clear Germanic font would look more timely, as would a typewriter font for the bulk of the text.
FYI SH3Cmdr r2.1+ doesn't have the blue background - it's now ruled paper. Beery and I are testing some alternative fonts now. We have an acceptable Germanic font, but finding an acceptable aged-looking-but-legible-typewriter font has been harder than first thought.

Thanks! I'm sure Jaesen will appreciate that as much as I do. That also applies to all of these wonderful supportive posts. I never expected to get such a positive response from the mod's fans, especially since the SH3 Commander mod has tended to be met with some suspicion in the wider community (well that's the impression I've got anyway).
Yes, the comments here are very much appreciated! Thanks guys! I can now focus on a new release 2.3 knowing it's not all in vain! :lol:

...I would like myself to see two things added which I find quite useful:
2. Time compression when near land. It's agonizing slow to leave some French base when the time keeps returning to TC=1 as soon as land is in sight, I put this minimum at 8 and never had any problem, there is plenty of time to maneuver without hitting the coast...
Those are good suggestions. I'll mention them to Jaesen (actually he's probably following the thread). I also set 2048 for max time compress, and I set 32 for the TC near land. Usually, once one is proficient in the game, all the near land TC does is stop you from getting into and out of harbour fast.
They're easy to do. I also use 2048 but I use 128 near land (I'm too impatient!).

EDIT...They're in, although I will ask a few questions under a new topic.

BladeHeart
10-21-05, 09:58 PM
Akula Osis wrotePlease tell my you have looked at RTR v6.2 Mod for RTW, it is fantastic.

Sorry I have issues with the concept of land bridges being used by armies; personalities yes, but armies no.

Ping Jockey
10-22-05, 07:59 AM
It gives you more options and control over the Game. You can change the patrol grid too.( no more steaming to GR59 to find nothing!) :D

benetofski
10-22-05, 12:45 PM
I have not tried it, mainly because of a losing interest in SH3... :(
although I read mostly good things about it! :rock:

All the modders out there have done a truly great job :up: to improve game-play (and I applaud your efforts despite the obvious file restrictions) but now you must be all nearly 'waxed out' ('continued polishing') for new ideas! :damn:

SH4, will probably be exactly the same! :doh:

gouldjg
10-22-05, 01:44 PM
Guys I have only recently tried this mod and already think it is one of the best mods available. Great work JC

I have one small question

I want to place my own 8hr crew rotation mod into sh3 but as well as these two lines in the crew setting part

FatigueMax=0.80
FatigueStep=0.031

I want to also add another modified line for each crew member

CoefFatigue=0.21 and so on so on

Can I just copy the full basic cfg into sh3 and then do as you say for the rest in your sh3 cfg setup?.

What I need to know is what basic.cfg does your mod alter when we pick fatigue models?

Am am presuming it is the in-game one stored in the sh3 data cfg folder.

Also am I correct that your mod will not effect the uboat .zon files as I want to modify these also i.e. hull armour and hit points.

Thanks for any advice

Well done on such a great tool.

JScones
10-22-05, 10:28 PM
I want to place my own 8hr crew rotation mod into sh3 but as well as these two lines in the crew setting part

FatigueMax=0.80
FatigueStep=0.031

I want to also add another modified line for each crew member

CoefFatigue=0.21 and so on so on

Can I just copy the full basic cfg into sh3 and then do as you say for the rest in your sh3 cfg setup?.
Actually, if you only want to add CREW_* or FATIGUE_COEF values you can add them all into SH3Cmdr's "Crew fatigue models.cfg". To get your model included as an option in SH3Cmdr, follow these steps:

1. open "Crew fatigue models.cfg"
2. copy and paste a full block of current values, and rename the block to the last number plus 1
3. adjust the relevant *_FatigueMax and *_FatigueStep values; the number prefix relates to the crew number in Basic.cfg
4. include new lines called 0_CoefFatigue, 1_CoefFatigue etc with the values you want, so now the block will look something like this:

[4]
Desc=Jason's cool model
;CREW_ block
0_FatigueMax=0.5
0_FatigueStep=0.2
0_CoefFatigue=0.21
1_FatigueMax=0.5
1_FatigueStep=0.2
1_CoefFatigue=0.21
etc

You can add in any keys that exist in the Basic.cfg's CREW_* or FATIGUE_COEF blocks and SH3Cmdr will pick them up. Just remember that the CREW_* keys must be prefixed with the appropriate crew number, 0 through 8.

What I need to know is what basic.cfg does your mod alter when we pick fatigue models?

Am am presuming it is the in-game one stored in the sh3 data cfg folder.
Correct.

Also am I correct that your mod will not effect the uboat .zon files as I want to modify these also i.e. hull armour and hit points.
Correct.

gouldjg
10-23-05, 02:12 AM
Thanks JC

I had to play safe and check first.

kiwi_2005
10-24-05, 02:47 PM
Kiwi_2005, can you pls do us a favour and try the latest version of SH3Cmdr (r2.2) if you haven't already done so? I'd be curious to know whether the new copy method makes a difference for you.

Yes i can, but where is SH3Cmdr r2.2? I see only 2.1 in the downloads section. 2.1 gives me CTD.

Beery
10-24-05, 04:18 PM
You might want to refresh the webpage, because that must be an old version of the site that you have saved in your computer's temporary internet files or something.

Anyway, here's a direct link to the download:

http://www.beerymod.com/SH3Cmdr22.exe