PDA

View Full Version : Finding merchants

Twitchy
10-16-05, 12:42 PM
I'm having trouble finding merchants unless I get a radio contact. Is there a specific way to find ships without stumbling upon them by dumb luck? And no, don't tell me to use the hydrophone. I can't use it even when my sonar guy tells me he has a fix on someone and I go and check it out.

The Avon Lady
10-16-05, 12:57 PM
Use your hydrophone.

Oh. :88)

Twitchy
10-16-05, 01:40 PM
Is the sonar guy better at using the hydrophone than a human?

The Avon Lady
10-16-05, 01:43 PM
Is the sonar guy better at using the hydrophone than a human?
No. The player is much better - unless he/she has been listening to heavy metal for 10 years with headphones at full volume. :dead:

For best results, stop engines and maximize hydrophone volume by clicking on the top side of the hydrophone's volume knob.

Turn in 10 degree increments. You will pick up things that the AI don't ever catch at the same distance.

Twitchy
10-16-05, 03:12 PM
is there a hydrophone faq somewhere around here? I can't tell whether or not I hear my own motor or not.

slow_n_ez
10-16-05, 03:22 PM
There's a volume control too at lower right of the wheel ... turn it up all the way :cool:

Twitchy
10-16-05, 03:35 PM
I found an "ambient volume" knob but i cant turn it.

The Avon Lady
10-16-05, 03:47 PM
I found an "ambient volume" knob but i cant turn it.
Like I said, click on the upper part of the knob.

don1reed
10-16-05, 03:48 PM
point the hydrophone's arrow to 180° with your e-motor running.

Place your cursor on the upper end of the vol control (the game cursor will turn red when you're on the correct spot), clicking the left button on your mouse until you hear the vol increase.
Now, come to "All Stop". With your engines stopped click onto the hydrophone arrow and slowly drag it thru 360°...eventually you'll begin hearing the chugging of target ships.

Caveat: make sure you're below 10m when you do this or it won't work properly.

:up:

SubChief
10-16-05, 03:58 PM
If you got the improved convoy mod the number of merchants was reduced a lot from the original game, even in -39/40. So if you are jumping around the North Sea in a type II in 1939 you are lucky if you find a fishing boat :rotfl:

Twitchy
10-16-05, 04:03 PM
LoL i AM in the north sea.

SubChief
10-16-05, 04:23 PM
Twitchy, if you are in the North Sea head for AN16 or the area just east of Scapa Flow. Dive and use your hydrophones. You will always pick up something there, merchants and even more warship activity. But remember it isnt deep there, i had to crash dive once and killed myself colliding with the bottom :doh: :dead:

Twitchy
10-16-05, 04:39 PM
nah im at AF-87 am i hydrophoning in vain?

FAdmiral
10-17-05, 02:01 PM
Hang around the center of BF13. Much traffic thru there going
both ways....

JIM