PDA

View Full Version : U-571 The Movie

Twitchy
10-15-05, 08:10 PM
Was the movie any good? I'm on amazon.com and I'm gonna buy Das Boot and I saw U-571 for 10 bucks. Is it worth it?
Also, whats the difference bewteen Das Boot: DC and Das Boot: DC (Superbit Collection)?

EkimRis
10-15-05, 08:20 PM
I liked it when I saw it... Though that was a long time ago and before I really got into subs, so I'm not sure how realistic it is, but it was entertaining when I saw it :)

Soviet_Warlord
10-15-05, 08:38 PM
Yes, personally I really enjoy watching the movie, but I warn you, most die-hard sub fans here LOVE flaming the move, for reasons such as why Americans take the place of the British in the Enigma storyline thing and other innacuracies... but personally, I think its a thoroughly enjoyable movie.

Dowly
10-15-05, 08:56 PM
I´m not a big fan of the movie, but I`m not gonna flame it either. It just was too "Hollywoodish" for my taste. :)

10-15-05, 09:12 PM
I heard bad things about it as well. I read the review on uboat.net, and found out that it's kind of like 80% Hollywood with a little history thrown in. More of a compilation of actual events instead of the true story of one u-boat. It was good with the special effects, so it would be worth it as a good movie.

Twitchy
10-15-05, 09:21 PM
It's 10 bucks. I s**t that out before breakfast, I think its worth the buy I guess.

SubSerpent
10-15-05, 09:30 PM
It's 10 bucks. I s**t that out before breakfast, I think its worth the buy I guess.

I need to start eating whatever it is that you eat!

Subnuts
10-15-05, 09:55 PM
In Opposite Land, it's a great movie.
In reality - Blow Sanitaries! :damn:

Twelvefield
10-16-05, 02:20 AM
It has the best depth charge sound effects I've ever heard in a movie. If you have a good 5.1 surround or better, and I emphasize the .1, then it sounds great. Your subwoofer will eat a hole through your floor.

But, other than the great sounds and good visuals, it's merely an okay movie, acceptable as entertainment, but not to be taken internally.

Incidentally, my movie ranking system depends on comparing movies to the Most Average Movie Ever Made, which by coincidence is a submarine movie: Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide has some great stars, and stars-to-be, some good visuals and sounds, a good sountrack, some rah-rah action, and it takes place in one of my favorite movie locations: a submarine. On the other hand, the ending of the movie is telegraphed to you in the opening scenes of the film. It can end only one way, and it does. There's some corny dialogue, and some corny scenery-chewing scenes by all involved. There's no hot babes or hot babe nudity (my flaming-gay brother-in-law points out there's no hot guy nudity, either, though he thinks Viggo was cute). I find that each end every good bit in Crimson Tide is counted by its exact and equal bad bit, therefore making it the most average movie possible.

So whatever you thought of Crimson Tide, if you think like me, then U-571 is in that ballpark.

Specifially, my list goes from top to bottom:

MUST OWN
MUST SEE
Should see
Might as well see

Crimson Tide

Watch it for free
Watch it on TV when you are sick with the flu
DON'T WATCH IF AT ALL POSSIBLE
DANGER LEVEL -- WATCHING WILL DAMAGE YOU AND LEAVE YOU SCARRED

coronas
10-16-05, 05:31 AM
Don´t believe nothing that you see in this film. Bad,bad, bad :down:

kiwi_2005
10-16-05, 05:49 AM
U-571 SUX. Too westernised, the heroes have godmode lol.

Just on Television right now im watch the sub movie "Below" this movie is better than u-571. Below is all about a Gato class US sub that has a twist - horror theme. Seen it before. pretty good if your not worried about realism.

Curval
10-16-05, 09:02 AM
U571 is the TRUTH!

The Americans saved England by capturing the sub with the enigma!!!

Of course this was after Ben Afleck saved them during the Battle of Britain.

Then Hitler bombed Pearl Harbour and Ben was needed to shoot down some Germans disguised as Japanese in their very fast, but unmanouverable zero planes.

Thank God for Ameerika (and Hollywood)!!!

:up:

Seeteufel
10-16-05, 09:58 AM
The U-571 film is baaad pseudo-propaganda to fool the dumb masses. Bomb Hollywood.

Beery
10-16-05, 10:24 AM
WARNING! Merely watching U-571 will alter your brainwave patterns, making you more susceptible to liking things like Brittany Spears, Reality TV, Star Wars novelizations, Country & Western music, etc.

This warning should not be taken lightly.

benetofski
10-16-05, 11:33 AM
WARNING! Merely watching U-571 will alter your brainwave patterns, making you more susceptible to liking things like Brittany Spears, Reality TV, Star Wars novelizations, Country & Western music, etc

Beery,

er... what's wrong with 'Brittany Spears' ?

thasaint
10-16-05, 11:34 AM
she has the shoulders of a linebacker

Twitchy
10-16-05, 11:37 AM
The U-571 film is baaad pseudo-propaganda to fool the dumb masses. Bomb Hollywood.

Whoa.

lafeeverted
10-16-05, 11:43 AM
Superbit DVD's have more audio and visual information on the disc. If you have high -end audio/video equipment the improvements are dramatic! If you don't you will notice a little difference. The Superbit does not have the added extra Director's Cut commentary or behind the scenes movie clips. Get the D.C. version first. I have the D.C., Superbit and the un-cut version :yep:

ICBM
10-16-05, 11:55 AM

Whoa.

Hahahaha :rotfl:

Beery
10-16-05, 12:51 PM
Beery,

er... what's wrong with 'Brittany Spears' ?

Have you listened to her music?

CWorth
10-16-05, 01:33 PM
Unlike many here who take movies waaaay too seriously,I found the movie U-571 to be very entertaining.Which is what Hollywood is there for..enertainment.If you want realism go join the navy or you want history go read a book.

Dowly
10-16-05, 02:16 PM
I don´t take movies too seriously, but the masses propably don´t know who captured the Enigma and as this movie makes you think it was the Americans, ppl will most propably believe it.