PDA

View Full Version : Something strange is going on. Need help.

Syxx_Killer
10-13-05, 08:04 AM
Ok, at first I thought my monitor was dying. A few days ago it looked like the left and right edges of the display would "bulge" in a little. It would be rather fast, but enough to make you scratch your head. Today I turn the computer on, and right from the initial boot-up the display looked weird. I could still make it out, but weird. When I finally got into Windows (XP Pro with SP2) I went to open Firefox. When it loaded, the computer froze. I pushed the reset button and all seems to be fine now. I hope nothing is wrong, but if it is I hope it is just the monitor. What else could it have been? :damn:

StdDev
10-13-05, 08:33 AM
What you are describing is most definitely caused by UFOs!
They have been cruisin about the Michigan area lately (they like to disguise themselves as Goodyear blimps!)
The UFOs are equipped with a special ray gun.. if you get hit by the ray.. you will not remember ever seeing the UFO! (pretty cool huh!?)
So.. if you have never seen a UFO.. you prolly see em all the time! :D

bradclark1
10-13-05, 09:36 AM
Magnet close to your monitor?

TLAM Strike
10-13-05, 10:47 AM
It could be your video card.

Syxx_Killer
10-13-05, 10:53 AM

Well, that's not what I was hoping to hear. The video card is less than a year old. It is a PCI-Express Abit Radeon RX-700 Pro with 256MB. It has worked well so far.

StdDev
10-13-05, 11:16 AM
Actually.. except for the "freezing up" part, it sounds more like your monitor is having a problem with certain resolutions.. but a monitor failing or in the process of failing would not cause the computer to "freeze"..
So.. you'll just have to hope that the symptoms dont come back.. and if they do try to figure out what is going on.

PS "freezing" usually has to do with memory probs.

Kresge
10-13-05, 11:26 AM
Speaking of UFOs....
You don't want to know what they're hiding in that giant tire down I-94!
:ping:

StdDev
10-13-05, 12:24 PM
Speaking of UFOs....

Ummmm Elvis?

TLAM Strike
10-13-05, 01:09 PM

Well, that's not what I was hoping to hear. The video card is less than a year old. It is a PCI-Express Abit Radeon RX-700 Pro with 256MB. It has worked well so far. If its new, then its probaly not your problem. You might want to swap the montor out and see if it crops up again. If it does...

Iceman
10-13-05, 01:52 PM
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=HO1019503

Iceman
10-13-05, 01:53 PM
dual post...ack

caspofungin
10-13-05, 06:05 PM
Speaking of UFOs....

i've always wondered...