PDA

View Full Version : Is Lock-On Modern Air Combat any good?

Syxx_Killer
10-10-05, 09:56 PM
I've been thinking about the game. Is it any good? I'd like to fly the MiG-29 and A-10. Are these platforms adequately represented? I know it is an Ubi product, so what kind of copy protection comes with it? Are there any mods or does the game support that kind of thing? How steep is the learning curve? Sorry for all the questions. I appreciate it. :)

Kapitan
10-11-05, 01:43 AM
havnt got lock on but some other games ive flown mig 29 turned out to be a good plane i have heard though lock on is a very very good game but i havnt purchased yet

TLAM Strike
10-11-05, 02:29 AM
I've played its predessor 'Flanker 2.5'. Its very complex and accurate. You'll probaly need a good joystick (Throttle and hatswhitch) and lots of patiance. But if your in to realistic modern jet sims this is what you'll probaly want.

10-11-05, 04:43 AM
Yes it's a pretty good sim.
As far i know there is no bad protaction on the cd and there are no real mods like for falcon out there.
The graphics are fantastic.

Gizzmoe
10-11-05, 05:02 AM
Lock On: Flaming Cliffs uses Starforce, the normal Lock On doesn´t. There are some mods, but as 2019 said, no "real" mods like for F4.

http://www.airwarfare.com/Sims/lomac/lomac_essentials.htm

Type941
10-11-05, 05:18 AM
It's buggy and an enormously tough on your system, but it's the best flight sim there is, period. You should see some of LockOn movies, it's like a real film. Crazy cool, especially with texture mods, satelite maps, etc.

XabbaRus
10-11-05, 06:06 AM
Flaming Cliffs interests me more than the basic LOMAC but Starforce is putting me off.

I have more fun with IL-2 though I have to get Pacific Fighters..

btw does Pacific fighters use Starforce?

joea
10-11-05, 07:12 AM
No starforce for Pacific Fighters. :cool:

10-11-05, 07:22 AM
Really???

Gizzmoe
10-11-05, 07:31 AM
Really???

Yes! :) It uses Safedisc.

Syxx_Killer
10-11-05, 09:07 AM
What's Flaming Cliffs? I don't see it on the Ubi site.

I've got Flanker 2.5, though, I never really played it. It sure doesn't allocate resources very well, because it still chops up. That just didn't make it enjoyable. Does LOMAC have a campaign or is it like the old Flanker titles? Are there actually voices are is it silent like the old Flanker games?

Also, what the heck does this mean?

CD-ROM: 4X CD-ROM or better (not recommended for use with CD-RWs)

I got that from Ubi's site. Why would a CD-RW affect things (especially if it doesn't have copy protection)? I've got a DVD-RW, so would it not work?

Gizzmoe
10-11-05, 09:17 AM
What's Flaming Cliffs? I don't see it on the Ubi site.

It´s an unoffical add-on:
http://lockon.ru/index.php?lang=en&end_pos=148&scr=

I've got a DVD-RW, so would it not work?

It works. I don´t know why they wrote it or what it could mean.

By the way, here´s the SimHQ review:
http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_100a.html

10-11-05, 11:39 AM
It's a great sim, the flight models are great, and it gives you a chance to fly the some of the USSR's best fighters (also a MiG29A from the West German Luftwaffe). It takes place during the end of the cold war, kind of like in a Balkans setting. The ground attack aircraft are pretty fun to fly, I've flown countless missions in the A-10 and I've repeated the campaign so many times as well.

But overall, the only sim (for me and that I have) that tops IL2:FB AEP (IL2 : Forgotten Battles, Aces Expansion Pack) is SHIII.

Syxx_Killer
10-11-05, 01:10 PM
I saw a demo on the LOMAC site. I think I remember hearing that the demo of all things was copy protected. I'd be interested in it, but does it indeed have copy protection?

Gizzmoe
10-11-05, 01:16 PM
Yes, the "Flaming Cliffs" demo installs Starforce, standard LOMAC doesn´t.

Jace11
10-11-05, 05:45 PM
I used to like it.

My GF4600 doesn't, well it copes ok (using old drivers, new drivers give tearing) and even online was quite good for a while (can't remember which servers I used to play on in HyperLobby anymore).

Bit dated now, variable textures, but pretty good, a few bugs etc. If you want it looking it's best you are gonna need serious Hardware..