PDA

View Full Version : Networking two computers, make me smart.

TLAM Strike
10-06-05, 10:29 PM
Ok I got a computer for my dad. It’s a simple set up but its good for going on the Internet and using some programs. Now I want to link it to the Internet via my computer rather than buy a modem for it and installing another phone jack in the wall.

My computer has the modem and a network card and his has a network card, can I just connect them with some network cable and he will be able to go on the net when my machine is running? Or do I need a router or something else?

I’m new to this network stuff. :roll:

lesrae
10-07-05, 12:33 AM
There are a few options here;

The simplest is to get a 'crossover' cable, this is the ethernet version of an old serial null-modem cable (that's showing my age!). If you connect the 2 computers network cards with this and then configure them both with suitable IP addresses then they'll talk to each other quite happily.

The next option is to use a hub/switch and some normal network cables and to hook the machine up in much the same way as above, but with the hub joining the cables together. There's no real advantage to this over the crossover cable for just 2 computers, it only comes into it's own when you have more than 2 items that need to be networked.

The 3rd option is to go wireless - you add a wireless hub to the main computer (yours) and a wireless network card to your dad's and they can be connected together as if they were physically cabled up. I've not played with wireless yet so I'm no expert, but it's main advantage is obiously that you can have computers spread around the house without the wires running everywhere.

I'd personally recommend the crossover cable, it's cheap, effective and simple. You can share printers, files and internet connections without any problems and it's also quick and easy to unplug and store if you don't want a permanent setup. Here's (http://www99.shopping.com/xPC-Belkin_49_ft_Crossover_Cable_A3X126_50_YLW_M~PD-20614289~FD-96287~kworg-Crossover%2BCable~linkin_id-3070715~DMT-3~VK-3070716) an example of some that are available.

retired1212
10-07-05, 01:28 AM
Hi,

You can connect one computer (your dad's computer) with your computer. Your computer will act as a server and a gateway to Internet and your dad's computer will be a client machine.

For this setup, you need a software:

http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/proxy.htm

Note: I never tried this setup but I have seen this thing working.

lesrae
10-07-05, 01:36 AM
Hi,

You can connect one computer (your dad's computer) with your computer. Your computer will act as a server and a gateway to Internet and your dad's computer will be a client machine.

For this setup, you need a software:

http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/proxy.htm

Note: I never tried this setup but I have seen this thing working.

If you're using a windows XP or 2000 then you probably don't need any extra software, it's built into the OS - what are you using TLAM?

See this article for more info: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126/

TLAM Strike
10-07-05, 02:05 AM
I got Win 2000 Professonal Edition. (On both machines).

The simplest is to get a 'crossover' cable, this is the ethernet version of an old serial null-modem cable (that's showing my age!). If you connect the 2 computers network cards with this and then configure them both with suitable IP addresses then they'll talk to each other quite happily. Cool, I'll go get 20 feet of 'Cat 5' next week...

JamesT73J
10-07-05, 02:56 AM
I got Win 2000 Professonal Edition. (On both machines).

The simplest is to get a 'crossover' cable, this is the ethernet version of an old serial null-modem cable (that's showing my age!). If you connect the 2 computers network cards with this and then configure them both with suitable IP addresses then they'll talk to each other quite happily. Cool, I'll go get 20 feet of 'Cat 5' next week...

Emphasise 'crossover'. Do not get 20feet of patch cable, it won't work (terminated slightly differently at the RJ45 plug).

Using XP it's a doddle.

lesrae
10-07-05, 03:25 AM
It looks much the same in 2000 pro; pinched from here (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307311&sd=tech):

How to Configure the ICS Host Computer
The ICS host computer provides a connection through the second network adapter to the existing TCP/IP network. Log on as member of the Administrators group to set up the ICS host computer.

1. Click Start, click Settings, and then click Network and Dial-up Connections.
2. Right-click Local Area Connection (the network card that you just installed), and then rename it "The Internet Connection".

In the Network and Dial-up Connections dialog box, two connections are displayed (for different network adapters), The Internet Connection and Local Area Connection.

3. Right-click The Internet Connection and click Properties.
4. Click the General tab, and then verify that Client for Microsoft Networks and Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) are displayed.
5. Click the Sharing tab, and then click to select the Enable Internet Connection Sharing for this Connection check box.

NOTE: Make sure that firewall software or other Internet sharing software from a third-party manufacturer has been removed.
6. Click OK and exit to the desktop.

How to Configure the Windows 2000 Client
Log on as a member of the Administrators group to set up the Windows 2000 Professional clients that will share the Internet. 1. Click Start, select Settings, and then click Network and Dial-up Connections.
2. Right-click Local Area Connection and click Properties.
3. Click the General tab, and then verify that Client for Microsoft Networks and Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) are displayed.
4. Click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click Properties.
5. Click Obtain an IP address automatically, and then click Obtain DNS server address automatically (if these options are not already selected).
6. Click Advanced, and then make sure that the various lists on the IP Settings, DNS, and WINS tabs are all empty.

ICS provides these settings.
7. Click OK and exit to the desktop.

jumpy
10-07-05, 03:32 AM
Yup, cat5(e) crossover cable is the way to go... cheap and relatively straight forward to set up for filesharing and ICS.
Just a note on firewalls, however; some of the 'free' versions (zonealarm and a few others) will not accept/allow Internet Connection Sharing using one computer as the 'gateway'. The gateway machine must have a firewall which is capable of ICS, otherwise all you will be able to do is get the computers to talk to eachother, but only the gateway will have access to the net.
In truth it took me longer to configure my firewall to allow both machines access to the internet than it did to set up all the network addresses etc.
One other thing you might find useful is using the window$ command prompt window (start>all programs>accessories>command prompt) to find the IP, subnet mask and default gateway addresses. Type IPCONFIG and this should return a list of the right numbers for you to make a note of if you have to set up your network settings manually and configure firewall access (the network setup wizard is ok, but I have found that sometimes it's not always perfect).
Here's (http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=53165) a useful link to networking and other stuff.

XabbaRus
10-07-05, 06:48 AM
Yup, cat5(e) crossover cable is the way to go... cheap and relatively straight forward to set up for filesharing and ICS.
Just a note on firewalls, however; some of the 'free' versions (zonealarm and a few others) will not accept/allow Internet Connection Sharing using one computer as the 'gateway'. The gateway machine must have a firewall which is capable of ICS, otherwise all you will be able to do is get the computers to talk to eachother, but only the gateway will have access to the net.
In truth it took me longer to configure my firewall to allow both machines access to the internet than it did to set up all the network addresses etc.
One other thing you might find useful is using the window$ command prompt window (start>all programs>accessories>command prompt) to find the IP, subnet mask and default gateway addresses. Type IPCONFIG and this should return a list of the right numbers for you to make a note of if you have to set up your network settings manually and configure firewall access (the network setup wizard is ok, but I have found that sometimes it's not always perfect).
Here's (http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=53165) a useful link to networking and other stuff.

I haven't had any problems with Zone Alarm when I have plugged in my laptop to my desktop (which is the gateway and thus the server)

Also if you go with just a crossover cable your PC must be turned on for your dad to access the internet.

You need a router and some other stuff if your dad wants to get online without turning on your pc.

jumpy
10-07-05, 08:13 AM
I haven't had any problems with Zone Alarm when I have plugged in my laptop to my desktop (which is the gateway and thus the server).

Ah, yes maybe I should allude further, ZoneAlarm PRO (http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/catalog/products/sku_list_zap.jsp?dc=12bms&ctry=GB&lang=en&lid=dbtopnav_zaws) (the one you have to give beer-tokens for) has ICS capability- this function is disabled as an 'advanced' firewall feature in the free download (http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/catalog/products/sku_list_za.jsp?dc=12bms&ctry=GB&lang=en&lid=dbtopnav_zass) of ZoneAlarm. I discovered a small entry in the free versions help files, informing me that if I wished to have ICS I would have to upgrade to the full professional version, after spending about 3 days (on and off) trying to get the internet connection sharing/gateway thing to work :roll:

Jesper
10-07-05, 09:32 AM
IMO.. get a Router, it costs extra but those pennies are earned back fast in power consumptions cause your computer needs to be running while your dad is online.

OR.
Maybe your current modem has 2x RJ45 outlets ? or maybe an RJ45 and a USB ? in that case just call your isp and order a 2nd dynamic IP address.. and hook your modem to your NIC and your dads USB (or visa versa).

JamesT73J
10-07-05, 10:12 AM
Sygate personal firewall (free edition) is pretty dandy and allows ICS, although you have to dig into the options to enable it.

James