PDA

View Full Version : What are these cables for ?

Kobal2
09-30-05, 05:40 PM
Probably a basic question, but this has been bugging me for a while : on type VIIs, there are two cables that run from the conning tower to the stern, and one that runs to the prow. I have also noticed that most small ships and destroyers also bear cables running from prow to stern and passing by their mast tops. What are those cables, and what are they used for ?

gordonmull
09-30-05, 06:16 PM
As far as I can tell these are actually radio antennae, with the fore cables for transmission and the aft for reception.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, someone.

waste gate
09-30-05, 06:52 PM
Well if it is anything like the aviation antenna. I t works like this.

Improved radio reception can sometimes be attained by rotating the antenna to a particulare positon. Two antenna exist, the sense antenna, which extend fore and aft from the conning tower and the directional loop which is the round antenna on the starboard side of the conning tower.

Together the antenna can give the operator the direction of the transmitter.

Remember the time B4 VOR/DME and GPS, this was state of the art navigation and position reference.

gordonmull
09-30-05, 07:00 PM
So theoretically a u-boat could intercept an enemy transmission and glean its bearing from the antennae? Don't quite get how this works and the "must suss out how everything works" part of me is now in overdrive......

don1reed
10-01-05, 08:56 AM
If configured as a dipole antenna, the maximum radiation is 90° (off the beams of the boat) from it's axis.

If configured as an end-fed (from the turm to the bow) long-wire (depending on the frequency), the maximum radiation is approx 20° off each bow.

Like their early version of radar, the boat had to be rotated for best transmission/reception.

Something I might add, that back during those war years the airways (broadcast spectrum) were not as corrupted as they are today, where bandwidth is sorely coveted and competed for.

Kobal2
10-01-05, 10:24 AM
Haaa, I see, I thought they were some kind of navigation aid, or maybe something to hoist strings of message flags.

Thanks, guys !

gdogghenrikson
10-01-05, 11:13 AM
I thought they were something to hold on to, like a raileng

slow_n_ez
10-01-05, 12:37 PM
Hummmm :-? I thought they were used to transfer external torpedos to help get them inside .. I think torpedos weight like 3000 pounds or something like that ..............

don1reed
10-01-05, 05:40 PM
...you might say they were multifunctional cables...

--they aided in avoiding entanglements, ala net-cutter.
--they were a part of the antenna system, notice the large strain-relief insulators (egg shaped) near the turm and bow. The transmission line comes out of the turm via a feed-thru insulator on the forward side of the turm.
--they were strong enough to support the weight of transferring torpedoes around.
--laundry line.
--safety cable for the deck crew to go forward or aft during a blow, etc.
--I've seen pictures of them using it as support for a canvass awning during the heat of the summer in port.

The funkmaat would no doubt inform the crew what the transmission schedule was. No one likes to get RF burns, especially from the the 200 watt transmitter aboard. Like in todays world, all the RF radiators get turned off whenever men go aloft for repair work. It was no different then.
The list could go on, it's up to your imagination...

Floater
10-02-05, 12:48 AM
Torpedoes were transferred using an entirely different system: a winch mounted on the tower with a cable going directly to the torpedo. Nothing to do with the radio cables.

kiwi_2005
10-02-05, 07:38 AM
Your all wrong they're for to hang the undies on when its a sunny day :rock:

Mowgli
10-02-05, 09:44 AM
From my days in the RN as a Radio Operator, I seem to remember that the long wire strung aerials were for low frequency reception. Usually it was the higher the frequency the smaller the aerial.

With a low frequency and a stong enough transmitter there would be good ground/sea coverage, with higher frequencies you could have skip problems, be almost on top of the transmitter and recieve zip.

don1reed
10-02-05, 10:34 AM
Roger that, Mowgli--in the vicinity of 160m and lower, i.e., VLF.; however, antenna length is inversely proportion to frequency, so it is possible to have a longwire ant. for the higher freqs. The forward lobes of the rf pattern still have the benefit of dB gain and directivity similar to a rotatable beam ant. I guess it all depended on what type of impedence matching system was down in the radio-shack.

@Floater: Agreed. I believe "Teddy" Suhren's crew when transferring aals from aft external to forward, just used the antennae cables for teather rather than actual lifting support aboard the U564 when they floated the torpedoes forward...or not.

benetofski
10-03-05, 11:21 PM
...to lsten to (and talk) to "Goliath"..... ;)

Jan7
04-11-07, 12:26 PM
I am Juan, spaniard, y very new in this Forum.

Friends: I'm a Diexist and SWLer: all your comments are very valid. You are invited to a tour in the web that I colaborated:

http://www.u-historia.com (http://www.u-historia.com) --> Técnica --> Artículos Técnicos --> Equipos de Rádio en los U-boots

or http://www.u-historia.com (http://www.u-historia.com/) --> Técnica --> Visita Guiada --> Comunicaciones --> Sala de radio

3Jane
04-11-07, 12:54 PM
On a similar vein, what are the objects on the radio antennas on the type IXB. The things that look like shaped floats.

http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/4521/calaissheltercopyuc2.png

VIICDriver
04-11-07, 01:42 PM
I thought they were simply there to hang the tonnage flags from when coming back to port!

Seriously I always thought they were "anti-entanglement cables".

Chuck

Brag
04-11-07, 01:48 PM
On a similar vein, what are the objects on the radio antennas on the type IXB. The things that look like shaped floats.

http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/4521/calaissheltercopyuc2.png

Insulators

Mush Martin
04-11-07, 01:56 PM
Well I may be wrong but I think they create a series of vorticies in the
water to allow a smoother hydrodynamic flow around the conning
tower but Im not really certain. I know that in the game their just
eyecandy and perform no function.

_Seth_
04-11-07, 03:15 PM

:yep::yep::yep: According to my own findings, Brag is right. These are insulators placed on the antenna itself.

3Jane
04-11-07, 05:57 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Canovaro
04-12-07, 01:17 AM
Your all wrong they're for to hang the undies on when its a sunny day :rock:

- Allaaarm!

- Nooooo!

:D

Venatore
04-12-07, 01:24 AM
This was a bloody good question to start with (thankyou Kobal2). I've been reading U-Boat books for about five years now, and playing/modding this game since it came out, and all this time I thought the cables were for supporting the conning tower/structure during heavy pressure dives.
Well there you go, I learnt something today, its been a good day ! :sunny:

Deamon
04-17-07, 05:35 PM
I've been reading U-Boat books for about five years now, and playing/modding this game since it came out, and all this time I thought the cables were for supporting the conning tower/structure during heavy pressure dives.

:lol: