PDA

View Full Version : what does "angle on bow" mean?

Dpredator
09-23-05, 08:09 PM
i know it may be a stupid question. however i just started to play this game, and i am a chinese. can anything tell me what exactly "angle on bow" mean. plz and thanks :sunny:

Marhkimov
09-23-05, 08:30 PM
what does being chinese have to do with anything???

_alphaBeta_
09-23-05, 09:08 PM
Angle on bow refers to your position from the ships' perspective. Specifically it's the bearing that the ship sees you at.

benetofski
09-23-05, 10:10 PM
In an ideal situation, a submarine's Kapitan could position his uboat with its bow pointed directly at the side of an unmoving target and fire his torpedoes straight ahead, where they would inevitably hit the target.

In real life, both the uboot and the target are normally moving in different directions, and the captain has to calculate the correct path (angle on bow) that his torpedo will need to follow in order to get a hit.

The TDC (press F6) will enable you to do this manually (or automatically via your weapons officer) and is, in effect, an 'angle' solver!

Hope this helps!

Twelvefield
09-24-05, 02:16 AM
An example:

Get two ball point pens, say a red one and a blue one. Lay both pens on a flat desk. Your sub is the blue pen. Point the blue pen north. Its course or heading is 000 degrees. Point the pen south, and its course is 180. Pen points east = 090, pen points west = 270.

Point the blue pen north, and place the red pen in the area of where the blue pen is pointing. The red pen is your target. The angle the long axis of the red pen makes in relation to the long axis of the blue pen is its Angle On Bow or AOB. Ideally, the red pen should be laying 90 degrees to the blue pen for the best AOB. That is, the red pen and the blue pen form a "T" shape. So, if the blue pen is pointing north, the red pen should be arranged so that it points east or west.

If you turn the blue pen to a new heading, then you must change the position of the red pen to get the best angle: 90 degrees AOB.

If the red pen is not 90 degrees to the point of the blue pen, then you must estimate or use trigonometry to calculate the AOB.

So, your sub is the blue pen, and the red pen is the target. What you see through the periscope is what you see on the desk with the pens, as long as the periscope is aligned with the bow of your sub. You want the hull of the target to be 90 degrees to the long axis of your sub. If it isn't, try to make the pens on your desk match the picture in your periscope, measure that angle with a protractor, and you have a pretty good guess for your AOB. Or, try to move your sub so that it comes into position with your target at 90 degrees AOB. Either way, the closer your AOB is to 90 degrees, the better the chances you have that your torpedo will explode on target, especially if you are using impact triggers.

Tombomsee
09-24-05, 02:46 AM
Try out this one :

http://www.communitymanuals.com/shiii/index.php?title=Angle_on_bow

Lots of other helpful topics in there.

kiwi_2005
09-25-05, 09:38 AM
Twelvefield, Blue pen , Red pen, pen ,pen pen, pen,:huh:

Far out Twelvefield, your explanation, gave me a strong urge to go running though the streets naked yelling LOS. DIVE DIVE. ALARM!!!! :88)

Patboot
09-25-05, 02:11 PM
http://members.cox.net/pkent20/asif/subnav.jpg

Hope this helps-

Alyebard
09-26-05, 02:00 AM
Patboot, what is the source of this image? Did you put an URL?

Thnks!

martes86
09-26-05, 02:04 AM
Nice educative pic. :up:

The Avon Lady
09-26-05, 02:10 AM
what does being chinese have to do with anything???
Maybe he thinks we're talking about "anger" on the the bow.

In which case, I don't know what that means, either! :88)

The Avon Lady
09-26-05, 02:13 AM
Right click on image and select PROPERTIES.

You can always do this, except when a page is running a script (usually Java) that prevents you from getting that info.

Alyebard
09-26-05, 03:42 AM
Right click on image and select PROPERTIES.

You can always do this, except when a page is running a script (usually Java) that prevents you from getting that info.

Sorry for my bad english, i was asking for the "original" source of the picture, what book, what navy manual?

Patboot
09-26-05, 11:41 AM
Oh, heck, I don't remember...lemme see if I can dig it up.

Patboot
09-26-05, 11:47 AM
http://www.battlebelow.com/Torpterm.htm

Here's a better one.