PDA

View Full Version : New SH3 Commander utility now available.

Beery
09-19-05, 09:45 PM
New SH3 Commander utility now available.

The new version of SH3 Commander (SH3 Commander Pack Release 2) is now available from www.beerymod.com/SH3Cmdr2.7z

Features new to this edition include:

- New interface
- Better integration with SH3 by linking Date/Flotilla/U-Boat selection to that allowed by SH3 when starting a new career (no more selecting XXI U-Boat in 33 Flotilla in 1939)
- Added ability to start new careers in any month between 9/39 and 5/45
- Added ability to randomise or set specific days spent in base
- Added ability to include (or remove) the "Hull Integrity %" text
- Added ability to use any one of three different types of fatigue handling models, with ability to add your own fatigue models
- Added ability to change next patrol grid
- Added ability to delete selected career from the hard drive
- Added ability to return Commanders from retirement
- Career Summary now retitled to Personnel File
- Now generates Personnel Files and Crew Lists in HTML format
- Now specifically advises if required information can not be found in career files when generating Commander history
- Added ability to check the internet for updates
- Many (interface) tweaks and code improvements

Users familiar with SH3 Cmdr should please read the readme file, as there are some changes which require deletion of 'Date' and 'Random' files from older versions.

Enjoy.

JScones
09-19-05, 11:53 PM
Here are some screenshots (not actual size) of the latest release...

Main interface:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~jscones/software/screenshots/SH3Cmdr2.gif

New Options screen:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~jscones/software/screenshots/SH3Cmdr2O.gif

Crew Manager screen, demonstrating random name generation:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~jscones/software/screenshots/SH3Cmdr2CM.gif

zombiewolf
09-20-05, 01:25 AM
:up: wow this is really far out :|\
I really really like this .
I have used it for a new carrer i started. one mission done 10/1941
:sunny: Thank you very much!

martes86
09-20-05, 03:01 AM
Nice, I'm changing the old link in the list so it forwards to this one. :up:

BladeHeart
09-20-05, 05:01 AM
Great. :D

Many thanks to all involved with this new version. :up:

Presumably one just installs it over the existing version? Just want to make sure I have done it correctly. :roll:

:lurk:

squeak
09-20-05, 06:06 AM
I agree with BladeHeart :up:

HEMISENT
09-20-05, 06:30 AM
Beery
Thanks, it just keeps getting better and better.
Are crew qualifications given thru Commander still eye candy or do they actually count for enhanced performance now. I recall some talk about attempting to get around this earlier

Great work again as usual. Downloading now. :up:

Beery
09-20-05, 06:32 AM
Just a reminder to players to do a 'rollback' before installing. Also, it's very important to delete the Date and Random folders and all their contents from the older versions before installing. Otherwise players will get date-based changes occurring a month ahead of time.

Beery
09-20-05, 06:58 AM
Beery
Thanks, it just keeps getting better and better.
Are crew qualifications given thru Commander still eye candy or do they actually count for enhanced performance now. I recall some talk about attempting to get around this earlier

Great work again as usual. Downloading now. :up:

I think crew qualifications issued through SH3 Commander always enhanced performance. The only limitation was that the extra ones unique to SH3 Commander (those awarded to ORs and the second ones for NCOs) didn't work. They are useful as work station markers. I don't think Jaesen has adjusted the qualifications from previous versions.

Snugglepup
09-20-05, 07:12 AM
What kind of file format is that?

JScones
09-20-05, 07:21 AM
The only limitation was that the extra ones unique to SH3 Commander (those awarded to ORs and the second ones for NCOs) didn't work. They are useful as work station markers. I don't think Jaesen has adjusted the qualifications from previous versions.
Correct, I have not made any changes to the Crew Manager component in this release. I would love to model the SH3 rules in respect of awarding promotions, medals and quals (including having the seamen and CWO quals recognised in the game), but I will need others' help in identifying the rules for me - I simply do not have the time. What I have found is outlined in post http://www.subsim.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=43267.

I, too, want the Crew Manager component to be more than just eye candy, so if anyone wants to help out...

vois2
09-20-05, 09:00 AM
Just a reminder to players to do a 'rollback' before installing.

Beery, does that mean a rollback using JScones' Mod Enabler back to a vanilla SH3 v1.4b ? Thanks.

Egan
09-20-05, 09:14 AM
Fantastic work guys, as always. This now elcipses the career management in the game by a huge margin.

:up:

JScones
09-20-05, 10:01 AM
I think crew qualifications issued through SH3 Commander always enhanced performance.
Missed this bit. Correct, *any* quals issued via SH3Cmdr to officers impact compartment efficiency in the same way as if they were awarded via SH3. So, too, the *first* qual awarded to an CWO (only the CWO can be awarded more than one qual, the remaining POs are limited to one).

To summarise the Crew Manager component, as it seems to cause a lot of confusion:
-awarding *any* quals to officers impacts compartment efficiency as if they were awarded via SH3;
-awarding the *first* qual to an CWO impacts compartment efficiency as if awarded via SH3;
-awarding subsequent quals to an CWO, whilst being recognised in SH3, has no effect in SH3;
-awarding a qual to a PO impacts compartment efficiency as if awarded via SH3;
-awarding a qual to a seamen, whilst being recognised in SH3, has no effect in SH3;
-awarding the U-Boat War Badge has the same effect as if awarded via SH3;
-awarding any other medal, whilst being recognised in SH3, does not adjust resilience/morale/experience as it would if awarded via SH3;
-promotion/demotion, whilst being recognised in SH3, does not adjust resilience as it would if awarded via SH3 (although there is no demotion via SH3);

So a lot of what you can do in the Crew Manager *is* recognised and effective in SH3. It's really just the medals and some aspects of the qualifications that, despite being recognised in the game, are not effective in the game.

Now, whilst quals to seamen and extra quals to the CWO are not effective in SH3, they are still handy "markers". Also, I know of some people who believe that despite not being recognised towards compartment efficiency, SH3 tends to align these qualified seamen to their respective compartments, but I haven't tested that myself.

So, in summary, if you only want to award objects that mean something in SH3, don't promote (or demote), don't award EKs, DK or RK, and limit quals to 3 for officers and 1 for POs (note I'm silent on wound badges and front clasps as I have never been in a position to test and compare either).

Hope this helps!

Beery
09-20-05, 11:23 AM
Just a reminder to players to do a 'rollback' before installing.

Beery, does that mean a rollback using JScones' Mod Enabler back to a vanilla SH3 v1.4b ? Thanks.

No. I just mean a 'rollback' in SH3 Commander. There's a button to rollback any SH3 Commander changes.

JBClark
09-20-05, 03:54 PM
Thanks to all involved. :up:

I just installed this over 1.42 and had no problems. :up:

I like it a lot. :up: :up:

Sailor Steve
09-20-05, 05:18 PM
Jaesen, Beery, I HATE YOU GUYS!!! :rotfl:

One, this means I'll be starting my entire war over (again), simply because this is what I've been waiting and hoping for.

Two, I'm still unable to get online with my own computer and have to post from the library, which means I won't be able to download this or any other mod for some time to come.

Seriously, though, I'm really glad to see this.

kiwi_2005
09-20-05, 05:49 PM
Well so much for me "I'll never install another mod again" Theory! I'll be trying out this Commmander mod thats for sure! One thing can i just carry on from my patrol im in at the moment. It was bloody hard getting to where im at in the game, and i like to think all my crew are now true vets. Im playing the game with just the standard install, no mods.

Beery
09-20-05, 06:14 PM
Jaesen, Beery, I HATE YOU GUYS!!! :rotfl:

One, this means I'll be starting my entire war over (again), simply because this is what I've been waiting and hoping for...

Why start over? I used to be the same way - I had to start over whenever I loaded a new version of a game. But these days I always go on the premise that whatever version I'm using is the most realistic I can get, and anything that comes out of it will fall within acceptable limits. I still have a career saved that was started using the stock game, and which ended while I was using RUb 1.2. It's still a valid career - the commander retired after 16 patrols and got 150,000 tons - well within realistic parameters. While it's true that some commanders will benefit from using an earlier and less realistic version of the game, some will also suffer from it. I think it all evens out in the end. I currently have one career that has lived through three or four versions of RUb and SH3 Commander.

Kalach
09-20-05, 07:36 PM
Great work :up:
The html formatted history is a great addition.

Does Commander change the torpedo loadouts? I used Wolfies TweekSub to set up my loadout and it always changes when I look at it ingame.

Sailor Steve
09-20-05, 08:40 PM
Why start over?
Because I'm and idiot, of course. You have no idea how many times I started SHI over just because I like the early periods, or SHII every time somebody made a new set of career missions.

"Some people are born stupid. I've had to work hard all my life to get this way."-Me

"And I think I've done a job I can be proud of".-Me again

HEMISENT
09-20-05, 09:34 PM
I think I'm in the same boat as Steve. I cannot count the number of times I've started over because the latest, greatest mod came out. You guys just keep cranking this stuff out....unbelievable.
I won't call myself stupid (I'll leave that to my wife) but the word Verklempt seems to sum it up nicely. :doh:
Seriously guys thanks for all the hard work and creativity.
The rundown on the awards question sums it up nicely.

kiwi_2005
09-21-05, 03:30 PM
Why start over? I used to be the same way - I had to start over whenever I loaded a new version of a game. But these days I always go on the premise that whatever version I'm using is the most realistic I can get, and anything that comes out of it will fall within acceptable limits. I still have a career saved that was started using the stock game, and which ended while I was using RUb 1.2. It's still a valid career - the commander retired after 16 patrols and got 150,000 tons - well within realistic parameters. While it's true that some commanders will benefit from using an earlier and less realistic version of the game, some will also suffer from it. I think it all evens out in the end. I currently have one career that has lived through three or four versions of RUb and SH3 Commander.

Well i think starting over might be a good idea for some. This is the reason why i dont bother to install mods. I just installed your Commander , load SH3 up, carry on from my career, only this time i started in base cos i had changed my Grid to AL52. load up the patrol only to get this error:

SH3.exe The instruction at 0x021e2e87 referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be read.

My game wont load up at all. i tried 3 times last night got up this morning and tried again still same error. I delete Commander and the game runs fine?
The only option i have'nt tried is starting a new career then using Commander. But im sick of getting stupid errors that ill leave it for now.

This is why i dont bother with modifications, they mess up the game. As soon as the mod was deleted, i load up my career and the game runs fine.

Beery
09-21-05, 03:49 PM
...This is why i dont bother with modifications, they mess up the game. As soon as the mod was deleted, i load up my career and the game runs fine.

Kiwi2005, you have to be the unluckiest player when it comes to mods! There has to be some sort of weird Windows configuration problem for you to have this many issues. As I recall, the problems all seem to stem from some sort of install issue (which is what the problem seems to be in this case - if I'm understanding it rightly, SH3 Commander can't seem to find your game files because it can't find your computer's memory). Do you ever have problems installing the games themselves?

america person
09-21-05, 03:58 PM
can i use the fatigue settings of RUB if i don't have RUB, or does RUB need to be installed for rub fatigue settings to work?

kiwi_2005
09-21-05, 04:17 PM
Kiwi2005, you have to be the unluckiest player when it comes to mods! There has to be some sort of weird Windows configuration problem for you to have this many issues. As I recall, the problems all seem to stem from some sort of install issue (which is what the problem seems to be in this case - if I'm understanding it rightly, SH3 Commander can't seem to find your game files because it can't find your computer's memory). Do you ever have problems installing the games themselves?

Only unlucky with modifications, playing the stock game with the latest patch no problem. I have no problems installing the games themselves. But i dont give up easy Beery, im licking my wounds at the moment and will give the Commander another try. :rock:

Beery
09-21-05, 04:22 PM
can i use the fatigue settings of RUB if i don't have RUB, or does RUB need to be installed for rub fatigue settings to work?

You can use the RUb fatigue settings even if you don't have RUb.

america person
09-21-05, 05:01 PM
thnx beery

rulle34
09-21-05, 05:34 PM

When I do this the options only allow me to start a career until december 1943! Then there is no option to choose. And trying anyway doesn't work. Are you sure it's possible to start a career later than december 1943 and what have I done wrong in this case?

I have no previous version of SH 3 Commander installed before.

Another question! I have merchant vareity pack installed. Should I uninstall that mod before running SH 3 Commander since it has this mod already built in. or will it not matter?

Beery
09-21-05, 05:47 PM

When I do this the options only allow me to start a career until december 1943! Then there is no option to choose. And trying anyway doesn't work. Are you sure it's possible to start a career later than december 1943 and what have I done wrong in this case?

SH3 Commander supports career starts in any month in the war, but only if you have the necessary mod that opens up those dates. What you need is the latest Flotilla mod (http://www.beerymod.com/Flotilla1.44.7z). Before loading this mod it's best to finish up any 1st or 2nd Flotilla careers, as the Flotilla mod fixes some data which may cause minor (but sometimes annoying) problems with 1st/2nd Flotilla careers that were started while using vanilla SH3.

Another question! I have merchant vareity pack installed. Should I uninstall that mod before running SH 3 Commander since it has this mod already built in. or will it not matter?

I don't think it matters, but it's safest to uninstall it. SH3 Commander changes the merchants automatically whenever you use SH3 Commander to start the game.

simsurfer
09-21-05, 06:39 PM
I installed this program last night, so far it is great. The only problem I had was with the option "- Added ability to return Commanders from retirement".

When I click on bring out of retirement, then go to launch SHIII it keeps stating my career is over :-(

I have to go in and unselect Realistic Career length.

kiwi_2005
09-21-05, 07:09 PM
Ahhhh Mr Beery i have found the problem :) I think. And forgive me if your mention this many times. When i load the stock game of SH3 i have my firewall on, Antivirus running and Spybot loaded, cos i sometimes head to the multiplayer. (i have my firewall to allow SH3 to run etc.,) Having these on never effected my gameplay in single and multi. But it seems it effects any mods i throw on. Well i turned off all of the above mentioned, started up commander load my career and she runs! no errors!

Fixed. :D I like how your got the updated commander personal file very nice.

baxter
09-21-05, 07:13 PM
Thanks, Beery, the new features and improvements are great!

JScones
09-21-05, 07:25 PM
I installed this program last night, so far it is great. The only problem I had was with the option "- Added ability to return Commanders from retirement".

When I click on bring out of retirement, then go to launch SHIII it keeps stating my career is over :-(

I have to go in and unselect Realistic Career length.
Correct. I added the "Return from retirement" feature primarily as a response to players who run SH3Cmdr mid-patrol and keep forgetting to uncheck the "realistic career length" option. It really wasn't realistic to be retired mid-patrol!

Also, it's there for people who really don't want to be retired after say, four patrols (which did happen historically). These players generally want a realistic career length, but perhaps not one so short! In this sense, I suppose the option can be seen as a reprieve mechanism, which could loosely simulate a pathetic Captain's grovelling to his superiors: "can I continue, pretty please". :lol: Although, perhaps not overly realistic...

Either way, it is not up to SH3Cmdr to force whether players use the realistic career option or not, hence why even a restored career may still end the next time you press "Launch SH3!", *especially* if you have completed a high number of patrols (where the chance of retirement is much higher).

The upshot is, if the player is going to continually restore retired careers, they need to question whether they really want to keep the realistic career length option checked! ;)

JScones
09-21-05, 07:37 PM
Ahhhh Mr Beery i have found the problem :) I think. And forgive me if your mention this many times. When i load the stock game of SH3 i have my firewall on, Antivirus running and Spybot loaded, cos i sometimes head to the multiplayer. (i have my firewall to allow SH3 to run etc.,) Having these on never effected my gameplay in single and multi. But it seems it effects any mods i throw on. Well i turned off all of the above mentioned, started up commander load my career and she runs! no errors!
Thanks for letting us know - this may help other people who are having problems running SH3CMdr or any other mods. :up:

My usual advice to any user having problems running SH3Cmdr or any mod is to ensure that they are logged on as the Computer administrator (confirmed through Control Panel|User Accounts). Now we can add, turn off all Firewalls/Antivirus and system monitoring software, at least for testing, and then progressively re-try after turning each one back on to see which one is interfering.

U-Schultz
09-21-05, 07:46 PM
JScones- great job on the mod, it works beautifully for me.

If I could request a feature, in the same vein as the "choose your own fatigue model", would be the ability to use the English rank translations for your crew instead of the German.

Keep up the great work.

kiwi_2005
09-21-05, 08:06 PM
Thanks for letting us know - this may help other people who are having problems running SH3CMdr or any other mods.

No problem. Im a happy chap, i now have enable some other mods and im getting no errors! RUB1.43 now works for me, and The Sound mod now works! not to mention commander. Dont know if this is important for you modders but the programs that i use to run and now turn off to allow the mods to work were. Kaspersky Anti-Hacker (comes bundled with iolo System Machanic 5 Professional) Anitvirus is Avasti Professional, Skybot is also part of iolo System Machanic Pro called Spython.

JScones
09-21-05, 08:14 PM
If I could request a feature, in the same vein as the "choose your own fatigue model", would be the ability to use the English rank translations for your crew instead of the German.
<laughs> I was only talking to Beery about this yesterday! It's on my to do list as another "SH3 option".

Beery
09-21-05, 08:21 PM

Just a guess, but it's probably because you're running a career that has gone beyond 16 patrols. After 16 patrols (which was the most any commander did) the chances of continuing to the next patrol are 1 in 6. So this potentially allows longer careers than history dictated, but chances are that players will only ever see 17 or 18 patrols at most. In your case, if you're already over 16 patrols, the 'Realistic Career Length' feature is just doing its job for every patrol, and constantly retiring you.

eweber
09-21-05, 09:08 PM
Enjoy SH3 Commander so far but have a question:

I tried to set up for a single mission.

the intructions state:

"By selecting "Set up for a single mission" you can prepare Silent Hunter III in anticipation of undertaking an individual mission. .... When finished, click on the 'Launch SH3!' button and SH3 Commander will load up the necessary files and Silent Hunter III will automatically start."

Ok, I did that and Sh3 started.... now what? I went to Single Missions Menu but didn't see any mission generated there. What do I do to get into the single mission? I'm I missing something in the instructions? What I'm I doing wrong?

:doh: ew

U-Schultz
09-21-05, 09:23 PM
"<laughs> I was only talking to Beery about this yesterday! It's on my to do list as another "SH3 option"."

Excellent! :up:

rulle34
09-22-05, 02:50 AM

SH3 Commander supports career starts in any month in the war, but only if you have the necessary mod that opens up those dates. What you need is the latest Flotilla mod (http://www.beerymod.com/Flotilla1.44.7z). Before loading this mod it's best to finish up any 1st or 2nd Flotilla careers, as the Flotilla mod fixes some data which may cause minor (but sometimes annoying) problems with 1st/2nd Flotilla careers that were started while using vanilla SH3.

I don't think it matters, but it's safest to uninstall it. SH3 Commander changes the merchants automatically whenever you use SH3 Commander to start the game.

Thank's Beery! That cleared it up.
Will DL your flottila mod.

Hohenstaufen
09-23-05, 07:29 AM
Very nice tool but 2 questions.

1.) Is there also a german translation of the programm ?

2.) How to install the programm? I got the SH3Cmdr.2.7z file. But what shall i do with it ?

My english isnt so good to understand thw whole thread. So sorry.

Please Help. Thank you :ping:

Beery
09-23-05, 08:49 AM
Very nice tool but 2 questions.

1.) Is there also a german translation of the programm ?

Not yet. We've added a lot of German content for those who play the game in German, but so far the actual interface is still in English. I'll talk to Jaesen and see if we can get the interface translated into German too.

2.) How to install the programm? I got the SH3Cmdr.2.7z file. But what shall i do with it ?

You'll need the latest version of Winrar or 7zip to unzip the program. You can find 7zip here: http://www.7-zip.org/