PDA

View Full Version : USB 2.0 Question

XabbaRus
09-16-05, 03:58 PM
My PC is only a few months old, and has 7 USB porst 3 Front and 4 back.

Now using Sandra I see that it is saying nothing is connected to my USB 2.0 ports though I have a couple of devices connected to the ports in the back and my joystick to the front one.

I thought all the ports would be USB 2.0 capable but I look in System>Hardware and there is the USB 2.0 bus controller and the older USB 1.1.

WTF Are all my ports USB 2.0 or only some of them.

In BIOS I have USB 2.0 enabled. argh.....

Help...

Oh and I have only one device my Modem plugged into the back.

Some info

SiSoftware Sandra

General Information
Controller : Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 265C

Root Hub
Compound Device : No
Hub Is Bus Powered : No
Power Switching : Gang-switched
Over-current Protection : Global
Number of Ports : 8

Root Hub: USB Port 1

Root Hub: USB Port 2

Root Hub: USB Port 3

Root Hub: USB Port 4

Root Hub: USB Port 5

Root Hub: USB Port 6
Device Connected to Port : USB Composite Device
OEM Device Name : Seiko Epson Corp. ??? (0803)
Device Version : 1.00
Device ID : VEN_04B8, DEV_0803, PRT_00
USB Version : 2.00
Speed : High (480Mbps)
Configuration Settings : 1
Open Pipes : 4
Transfer Type : Bulk
Data Packet Size : 64 byte(s)

Root Hub: USB Port 7

Root Hub: USB Port 8

Ok that is with my Printer plugged into one of the front ports

SiSoftware Sandra

General Information
Controller : Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 265B

Root Hub
Power Switching : None
Over-current Protection : Individual
Number of Ports : 2

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

SiSoftware Sandra

General Information
Controller : Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 265A

Root Hub

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

SiSoftware Sandra

General Information
Controller : Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 2659

Root Hub

Device Connected to Port : SpeedTouch 330 ADSL Modem
OEM Device Name : Alcatel Telecom Speed Touch ISDN or ADSL Modem
Device Version : 4.00
Device ID : VEN_06B9, DEV_4061, PRT_00
USB Version : 1.10
Speed : Full (12Mbps)
Open Pipes : 6
Transfer Type : Interrupt
Data Packet Size : 8 byte(s)

Device Connected to Port : USB Mass Storage Device (Don't know what this is)
OEM Device Name : Alcor Micro Corp. ??? (9360)
Device ID : VEN_058F, DEV_9360, PRT_00
Open Pipes : 2

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

SiSoftware Sandra

General Information
Controller : Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 2658

Root Hub

Device Connected to Port : Saitek Cyborg Evo
OEM Device Name : Saitek PLC ??? (0464)
Device Version : 1.11
Device ID : VEN_06A3, DEV_0464, PRT_00
USB Version : 2.00
Speed : Low (1.5Mbps)
Open Pipes : 1
Transfer Type : Interrupt

Ramius
09-16-05, 04:39 PM
Device Connected to Port : USB Mass Storage Device (Don't know what this is)
OEM Device Name : Alcor Micro Corp. ??? (9360)
Device ID : VEN_058F, DEV_9360, PRT_00
Open Pipes : 2

You got a memory stick, camera or phone connected via USB ?? if so they sometimes show up as "mass storage devices"

Regarding the other point - not too sure but sometimes not all your ports are USB2, others could be 1 or 1.1 ports.
Or even the things plugged into them are not USB2 so they wont show up (not 100% on this though)

Skybird
09-16-05, 06:37 PM
On my former rig I used to have USB 1.1 and 2.0 constantly beeing messed, too. I needed to install an old USB-2 driver from CD, because even an updated Windows XP with SP that was supposed to implement 2.0 did not do that reliably.sometimes HUBs were listed as 1.1, sopmetimes as 2.0, depended on the weekday, I suppose :-? I wasd lucky that I was not depending on 2.0, so in the end I did not take too much care if my USB ports were on this or on that standard. Every couple of weeks I needed to reinstall that CD-driover, when windows had updated and made issues visible again.

Certain mainboards are known to be unreliable concerning USB, too. My old one probably was such a candidate.

USB is not as stable as it's reputation make people think. Best advise is to have as little USB devices connected as possible. The theoretical maximum number of USB devices, sokme hundred, if I remember correctly, is a myth: for cival flightsims certain cockpits are avbailable, that feature Cessna-deisgn gauges in an according panel at 1:1 scale. Each of these devices is connected via it's separate USB plug, so you need a lot of additional HUBs. I knew one guy who had such a thing. between 25 and 30 USB devices were connected that way. Buit when the system was booted, in half of the attempts one or more USB devices were "forgotten" by the system, so he needed to boot again, or USB devices went offline during flight, for their USB port seized to exist". I know from FS forums that other people had that experience as well.

USB is practical, but not that wonderthing the industry made us think. Keep the number of USB connections low. and think if 2.0 or 1.1 really makes a needed difference for you. If it is not important (do you havbe hardware that supports 2.0?), simply ignore if it is 1.1 or 2.0, devices will function anyway, and the speed gain hardly is felt by most users.

XabbaRus
09-17-05, 02:34 PM
I am not too bothered as my only USB 2.0 device is my printer.

As for that thing I wasn't sure about it is the multi-card reader you know SD cards, Microdrive etc...

Anyway at the end of the day I'm not really running anything needing that high a through put.

I have aBelkin USB 2.0 driver so maybe I'll install that.

Jesper
09-18-05, 12:21 AM
its quite normal that only 1 pair of all the ports are USB2.

What printer do you have since its an USB2 printer

werauchimmer
09-18-05, 06:12 AM
If it is not important (do you havbe hardware that supports 2.0?), simply ignore if it is 1.1 or 2.0, devices will function anyway, and the speed gain hardly is felt by most users.

Only half the truth, sorry. While it isn´t important for attaching mice or a keyboard, it certainly is for mass storage devices (Try copying a multiple gig HDD Image via USB 1.1 to a USB drive, and you experience a new definition of "patience"), Cameras and even scanners.

Skybird
09-18-05, 08:54 AM
USB-stick : you're right, you score.

Camera, scanner: I use both via 1.1 on my old rig, and now 2.0 on my new one. Very short times, identical on both systems. Could be that it would be even faster if scanner and camera would be 2.0 standard, but I cannot care less - it's already damn fast. Transferring fifty 2048 resolution pics from camera to HD in less than a minute - why complaining?

werauchimmer
09-18-05, 02:43 PM
Well, then to be exact you have to define how the hardware is used: Fifty smallish pictures from a digicam may be fast, importing a ~200MB file from a good filmscanner takes a while, though. Who was talking about scoring, btw? :-?

Skybird
09-18-05, 03:37 PM
Well, then to be exact you have to define how the hardware is used: Fifty smallish pictures from a digicam may be fast, importing a ~200MB file from a good filmscanner takes a while, though. Who was talking about scoring, btw? :-?
50 pictures at 2048 resolution in highest quality - wait, that is around one third of my 256 MB flashcard, 85 MB, one pic per second, 50 in around a minute, full card in around three minutes then. Extrapolating that 85 MB to 200 MB roughly makes up for seven minutes then. Possible that 2.0 does a saster job in that, but how often do I transfer that data volumes? Never.

Never reject a score. You never know if you ever will be in need of one. :)

Jesper
09-18-05, 10:48 PM
some USB2 devices are backwards compatible with USB1.1 but there are a lot of optical and storage devices that are for USB2 only those wont work on USSB1.1!

The 'little' speed differnce you think there is, is actually enormous. USB1.1 = 12mbps and USB2 = 480mbps (megabit per sec) (its 1MB/sec vs 60MB/sec so go figure) :P

Also you definatly does not want to plug an USB1/2 DVD±RW into an USB1 port, tho the drive is USB1 compatible it will fail to burn at anything but 1MB/Sec.
Nor do you want to plugin a 300GB USB HD into USB1

Webcam, Scanners, Printers, Mouse, Keys, Cordless Recievers are generally only USB1 device, that is why I dont know where the author of this subject is getting the idea that his printer is USB2. (but then again it could be)

XabbaRus
09-19-05, 08:56 AM
Jesper my printer is an EPSON R300 and when I had it plugged in the other night I got a message saying I'd get better performance if it was plugged into a USB 2.0 port.

As you can see from the Spec here http://www.epson.co.uk/products/inkjet_printers/product_spec/Stylus_Photo_R300.htm

It has a USB 2.0 port and a USB 1.1 port at the front for plugging cameras etc straight into it.

Jesper
09-19-05, 10:12 AM
Ah yes I see, it probably needs more speed than USB1 can handle if there is an extra device pluggued into it.

werauchimmer
09-19-05, 02:50 PM
[ but how often do I transfer that data volumes? Never.

Never reject a score. You never know if you ever will be in need of one. :)

For me: Daily, and as long as you don´t have closer information on the original authors computer use, it just may be a bad idea to "assume".
Besides the speed differnece IS significant as somebody already said.

About the score: If YOU need to have a scoring card, be my guest. Makes the amateur psychologist in me wonder, though. Then again, who am I to judge you :)

JamesT73J
09-22-05, 03:22 AM
I shoot raw files on a DSLR, and that equates to about 150 images on a 1gb CF card. I used to use USB1, but frankly it drove me nuts waiting. USB2 is very quick and convenient by comparison.

James