PDA

View Full Version : Vertical Dive, or No! Not another hijacked nuclear sub?

Bill Nichols
09-15-05, 04:41 AM
Here's the jacket blurb on Michael DiMercurio's latest submarine technothriller, Vertical Dive:

As hurricane Helen barrels in toward the Virginia coastline, the U.S. Navy’s Commander-in-Chief Atlantic Fleet orders all vessels to scramble to sea, including Burke Dillinger’s Hampton and Peter Vornado’s Texas. But this is no mere storm evacuation. There is something sinister going on in the eastern Atlantic. The Navy’s eyes are on the ballistic missile submarine force, the “boomer” submarines loaded to the gills with intercontinental nuclear warheads. The French boomer submarine Le Vigilant has “gone bad,” hijacked by an Algerian terrorist with dreams of completing the circle of revenge and using French nuclear weapons on the French who imprisoned his father. As terrorist Issam Zauabri’s forces learn how to employ the nuclear missiles, Vornado’s Texas and Dillinger’s Hampton close in on the threat, but Issam knows how to use torpedoes as well as he does the missiles, and Le Vigilant is one of the quietest submarines ever built. Once the American subs are on the bottom, his attack can proceed on Paris, but since it was Americans who interfered, Issam will save one missile for New York…

Kapitan
09-15-05, 06:54 AM
where can i buy this ?

Hellcat
09-15-05, 11:13 AM
Well I really dont know what to say about this, sorta seems to follow the same plot that all his other books have so far... Looks like another situation where I'll leave it to the reviewers first before I spend the cash. I dont know about you guys but I find non-fiction stories to be much more interesting. (As long as i dont know the ending already!)

Bill Nichols
09-15-05, 08:20 PM
where can i buy this ?

It's not out yet.

Terrax
10-13-05, 07:31 AM
I've read several hijacked sub books, but the only one I can remember is Clearwater. "sigh" I'll probably read this one too.

DAB
10-21-05, 05:38 AM
At least Nimitz class was original when it came out.

Please someone - just one modern submarine novel which does not involve...

1) highjackings

2) madmen trying to deploy nuclear weapons

3) 50 US Submarines acting in Unisen

4) A problem that can only be solved by an experemental new weapon (which the submarine in question just conveniently happens to have

5) The Japanese, Russians, French or Germans just happening to sell a Submarine to a non-friendly state...for no other reason then it seems they wanted to make the seas a little more interesting that month.

6) Any book where the French are portrayed as incompetant in comparision to their US counterparts.

7) Any book where a country other then the United States is portrayed as incompetant in comparision to their US counterparts.

8) The Third World War.

9) A Third World War - which NATO goes on to win !?!?!

10) A book series with the Third World War, then the Forth World War, then the Fifth World War.

...err rant over...sorry

stratege
10-21-05, 08:12 AM
well well well....

WHY that mad sub is french ???

we don't have to launch nuclar weapons to the US to defeat you .................................a piece of garlic cheese is enought ...

just kidding. I love dimercurio and i will probably read it.